Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-09-2008   #41
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Predict the 53-man roster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'm thinking the opposite. If a guy like Salaam (who has been a starter for 9 of 10 seasons with a 2 year tour of duty under Alex Gibbs) is a backup, you've got pretty good depth.
Agreed! Lately I've been putting a little thought into who I would have on my 53 man roster and realized how hard the cuts are going to be for the coaching staff. I remembered saying last year how bad it would suck being the one who had to make the decisions on who to cut. Well, this year's twice as hard as last year.

In the end it's an awesome problem to have because it only means the depth on the team has gotten that much stronger.

Old 07-09-2008   #42
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll bet a case of beer (with one person only) that Dayne will be back!
Old 07-09-2008   #43
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm thinking the opposite. If a guy like Salaam (who has been a starter for 9 of 10 seasons with a 2 year tour of duty under Alex Gibbs) is a backup, you've got pretty good depth.
The last thing I want to do is be mean-spirited about a guy whos efforts I really appreciate.

That being said, Salaam is a freakin' turnstyle and he's not impressive in the run game either. I know we only gave up 22 sacks last season. Believe me, I've watched and rewatched every game- except for San Diego ( I couldn't bear that one a second time). Salaam too frequently gets badly beat. We are now in our third year under this regime and we've spent a lot of resources on this line. Salaam doesn't have the flexibility to play multiple positions, he doesn't have upside, and he doesn't do any one thing very well. I think it's a good sign for the team if he can't make the team. If he does, it's a bad sign. That's all.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #44
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
I'll bet a case of beer (with one person only) that Dayne will be back!
I may drink a case of beer if he makes the team.
Old 07-09-2008   #45
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Time to go home, so I took a quick stab at it... may edit later

Offense: (25)
QB- Matt Schaub, Sage Rosenfels
RB- Ahman Green, Chris Brown, Chris Taylor, Steve Slaton
FB- Vonta Leach, Jameel Cook
WR- Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter, Andre Davis, Jacoby Jones
TE- Owen Daniels, Mark Bruener, Joel Dreesen
LT- Duane Brown, Ephraim Salaam
LG- Chester Pitts, Kasey Studdard
C- Chris Myers, Greg Eslinger
RG- Mike Brisiel, Fred Weary
RT- Eric Winston, Rashad Butler

Defense: (25)
DE- Mario Williams, Anthony Weaver, Earl Cochran, Roosevelt Colvin
DT- Amobi Okoye, Travis Johnson, Frank Okam, Anthony Maddox, Tim Bulman
LB- Demeco Ryans, Morlon Greenwood, Zac Diles, Xavier Adibi, Chaun Thompson, Kevin Bentley
CB- Fred Bennett, Jacques Reeves, Antwan Molden, Jimmy Williams, Demarcus Faggins
S- CC Brown, Will Demps, Glenn Earl, Brandon Harrison, Dominique Barber

Special Teams: (3)
K- Kris Brown
P- Matt Turk
LS- Brian Pittman

PUP: (1)
CB- Dunta Robinson

PS:

QB- Alex Brink
RB- Darius Walker
WR- Darnell Jenkins
G- Brandon Frye
LB- Ben Moffit
CB- Derrick Roberson

Last edited by Ole Miss Texan; 07-11-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #46
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Comments (based on Mr. PC's revised roster):

- Either Bulman (non-stop motor & work ethic) or Powell (S/T wedgebuster potential) might make it over Kalu. ...and I like N.D. but he's at the end of the trail; just like Zgonina.

- Boyd stays. I believe our injury history has made Kubes just paranoid enough to carry 3 QBs - however, there's nothing in the rules that dictates that all three must be active every week ....is there?

- It will be interesting to see if Jimmy Williams proves to be a significant upgrade over Faggins and/or Fletcher. Only one of these three get to stay.

- Tim Carter could edge out Harry Williams for the 5th WR spot. Or maybe we'll carry 6 WRs since Carter has game experience and Williams can return kicks....

- Ferguson is iffy because I just don't think we'll carry five safeties. And he's the last one on my depth chart

- I'm not 100% convinced we'll carry two FBs either.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #47
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

LB- Demeco Ryans, Morlon Greenwood, Zac Diles, Xavier Adibi, Chaun Thompson, Kevin Bentley
CB- Fred Bennett, Jacques Reeves, Antwan Molden, Jimmy Williams, Demarcus Faggins, Jamar Fletcher
S- CC Brown, Will Demps, Glenn Earl, Brandon Harrison

K- Kris Brown
P- Matt Turk
LS- Brian Pittman

IR: (1)
CB- Dunta Robinson

PS:

QB- Alex Brink
RB- Darius Walker
WR- Darnell Jenkins
LB- Ben Moffit
CB- Derrick Roberson
I'd post my roster but I really like this one.
Old 07-09-2008   #48
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:

CB- Fred Bennett, Jacques Reeves, Antwan Molden, Jimmy Williams, Demarcus Faggins, Jamar Fletcher
S- CC Brown, Will Demps, Glenn Earl, Brandon Harrison

K- Kris Brown
P- Matt Turk
LS- Brian Pittman

CB- Dunta Robinson

PS:

QB- Alex Brink
RB- Darius Walker
WR- Darnell Jenkins
LB- Ben Moffit
CB- Derrick Roberson

I like it, but a couple of things:

1. I'm guessing Frye makes the team instead of Salaam
2. I also like Brandon Mitchell over either Fletcher or JWilliams.

Otherwise, I'm right there with you.
Old 07-09-2008   #49
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

We'll see.
Old 07-09-2008   #50
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I forgot about Frye. I'm convinced they see him as a guard and put him on the practice squad.

I also forgot about Dominique Barber... I think he makes the roster and plays mostly special teams this year.
Old 07-09-2008   #51
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Offense:

QB: Schaub, S.R.
WR: AJ, Walter, Davis, Jones, Anderson
RB: Green, Taylor, Slaton, Brown
FB: Leach
TE: OD, Dreesen, M.B.
OL: Brown, Pitts, Myers, Brisiel, Winston, Salaam, Studdard, Weary, White

Special Teams:

Kris Brown, Matt Turk, Pittman

Defense:

DL: Williams, A.O., Okam, Weaver, Bullman, Cochran, Maddox, Johnson
LB: Ryans, Greenwood, X, Bentley, Thompson, Colvin, Diles
DB: Bennett, Reeves, Molden, DRob, Faggins
S: Demps, Brown, Barber, Harrison, Mitchell, Ferguson

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #52
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I forgot about Frye. I'm convinced they see him as a guard and put him on the practice squad.

I also forgot about Dominique Barber... I think he makes the roster and plays mostly special teams this year.

Oh yeah, Barber...

I don't think Salaam will keep his job because he's the 4th tackle. With the talent and depth there now, I think he's gone if he can't beat out Butler. After all, Pitts, Briesel, and Frye can all serve as the 4th tackle- not to mention their youth and ability to play at guard as well. When you only dress seven OLmen, it's better to have someone that can swing outside or play inside.

If Salaam makes the team as the 4th tackle, he'll never even dress unless we have injuries to one of the three tackles.
Old 07-10-2008   #53
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Oh yeah, Barber...

I don't think Salaam will keep his job because he's the 4th tackle. With the talent and depth there now, I think he's gone if he can't beat out Butler. After all, Pitts, Briesel, and Frye can all serve as the 4th tackle- not to mention their youth and ability to play at guard as well. When you only dress seven OLmen, it's better to have someone that can swing outside or play inside.

If Salaam makes the team as the 4th tackle, he'll never even dress unless we have injuries to one of the three tackles.
I really think that Salaam is getting old and run down and it's time that we give someone like Butler a chance to shine. I really like our depth this year and hope that we have this depth for years to come. I really don't exspect a guy like Salaam to make this team when like you said we do have three other guys who are more than capable of playing that LT spot. I really think it's time to get some younger players on that OL and that's what playing Butler does instead of playing Salaam if Salaam does make this team I'd say that he only has another year or two left in this league and that's about it for his career IMO.
Old 07-10-2008   #54
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

WR- Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter, Andre Davis, Jacoby Jones, Darnell Jenkins
LG- Chester Pitts
C- Chris Myers, Chris White (C & G)

CB- Fred Bennett, Jacques Reeves, Antwan Molden, Jammar Fletcher, Demarcus Faggins
S- CC Brown, Will Demps, Glenn Earl, Brandon Harrison, Dominique Barber

K- Kris Brown
P- Matt Turk
LS- Brian Pittman

CB- Dunta Robinson

PS:

QB- Alex Brink
RB- Darius Walker
WR-
G- Brandon Frye
LB- Ben Moffit
CB- Derrick Roberson
OG- Kasey Studdard
Not bad at all. I'll add and subtract a little to provide my opinion.

1. We'll likely carry 5 WR's and the 5th is really up for grabs. I think someone will beat Anderson out. Maybe Darnell Jenkins? Too bad, cuz I liked DA.

2. I think it's doubtful we carry 10 OL. If Weary is cleared for TC I think it'll send Studdard to the PS. Chris White can play both G and C. I think 9 OLinemen will be the max, he might even take it down to 8.

3. Jimmy Williams?? I think it's Fletch's job to lose. I'm hoping someone can unseat Faggins. Maybe Derrick Roberson?

4. Earl must dress and impress in TC to stay on the squad. We have too many S on the team to be dickin with injuries. Brandon Mitchell might have a shot if Earl doesn't impress.
Old 07-10-2008   #55
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We are now in our third year under this regime and we've spent a lot of resources on this line.
Really? Only 1st round pick and zero high priced FAs. I wouldn't say the Texans have shopped strictly at the dollar store here, but it's nothing compared to the Saks prices spent on the d-line.

I'm having a difficult time believing I'm the guy defending Salaam's spot on the team. I wanted him replaced in the draft, and was hoping for Chris Williams. That didn't happen, but I've totally bought into the Duane Brown pick and am in total agreement that he should get every chance at the starting LT spot. Salaam has been a fringe starter his entire career. He's been replaced in Atlanta by Todd Weiner, in Denver by Matt Lepsis, in Jax by Khalif Barnes, and hopefully in Houston by Duane Brown. Salaam wouldn't have even been a starter the past 2 seasons but for injuries at the Tackle position.

But what Salaam has going for him is 9 seasons of starting experience in the NFL. Playing both Tackle spots. I understand that Rashad Butler has more potential, and could even beat Salaam for the swing Tackle spot. That would be great. But Brown and Butler have zero games as starting NFL Tackles between them. Zero.

I can't see Gary Kubiak and Alex Gibbs going into the season with that stat staring them in the face. I would consider Salaam a security blanket for the '08 season. A season critical for this team and this staff. All goes well, they can send Salaam on his way in '09. Not just yet.
Old 07-10-2008   #56
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Getting rid of Salaam would be like getting rid of Sage. Both have capabilities of stepping into the starting role if injuries come up, with out missing too much of a beat (if any). However, neither is a longterm answer for their respective positions on this team.

I love the arguement for grooming a young guy with potential behind the starter- but that young guy being groomed is Brown. We still need some veteran presence on the team, especially while we're transitioning to Gibb's style of play.
Old 07-10-2008   #57
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Really? Only 1st round pick and zero high priced FAs. I wouldn't say the Texans have shopped strictly at the dollar store here, but it's nothing compared to the Saks prices spent on the d-line.

I'm having a difficult time believing I'm the guy defending Salaam's spot on the team. I wanted him replaced in the draft, and was hoping for Chris Williams. That didn't happen, but I've totally bought into the Duane Brown pick and am in total agreement that he should get every chance at the starting LT spot. Salaam has been a fringe starter his entire career. He's been replaced in Atlanta by Todd Weiner, in Denver by Matt Lepsis, in Jax by Khalif Barnes, and hopefully in Houston by Duane Brown. Salaam wouldn't have even been a starter the past 2 seasons but for injuries at the Tackle position.

But what Salaam has going for him is 9 seasons of starting experience in the NFL. Playing both Tackle spots. I understand that Rashad Butler has more potential, and could even beat Salaam for the swing Tackle spot. That would be great. But Brown and Butler have zero games as starting NFL Tackles between them. Zero.

I can't see Gary Kubiak and Alex Gibbs going into the season with that stat staring them in the face. I would consider Salaam a security blanket for the '08 season. A season critical for this team and this staff. All goes well, they can send Salaam on his way in '09. Not just yet.
You're not the only one!

I won't just parrot your comments, but given his experience, Salaam's probably the best choice to play OLT if for one reason or another, someone other than Brown is playing that position this year. If Brown plays every snap of the 2008 season at OLT, then Salaam is unquestionably the best option to be his backup.
ChampionTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #58
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

If they thought Salaam wasn't going to make the squad, they would have let him go just as they did Quinn Gray....
...to give him a shot to get picked up by someone else prior to T/C.

I'm with Champ, Ole Miss, & Lucky. Salaam is damned good insurance at the LT spot. And with him not having to play every down in every game, I'm thinking that his spot appearances will be of higher quality.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #59
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd put money on the fact that Salaam is going to start on the line sometime this season. He is an oldie but a goodie, sure he isn't the greatest LT in the League but he is probably the best LT the Texans have ever had.
Old 07-10-2008   #60
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
he isn't the greatest LT in the League but he is probably the best LT the Texans have ever had.
Chester Pitts and his 5.75 sacks allowed in 2003 might argue the point.

I think Salaam makes the team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read