Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-09-2008   #21
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ESPN - Scouts Inc- Rankings (QB, RB, WR, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I see your point. But, who would take the Saints RBs (#22) over the Texans, as they currently stand? I wouldn't.

Looking through the QB list, I can't think of a time when more teams were in trouble at that position. We will see a lot of bad QB play in the NFL this season.
Yeah, I have to agree with you on the QB's. I'm not sold on Shaub or Rosenfels yet, but I don't think either one is bad either. Shaub was hurt to much last year to really know. He didn't light it up, nor did he stink it up either.

But there are a ton of teams with questionable QB's and quite a few with really bad QB's.

Sanf Fran, Chicago, Carolina, Miami, Oakland, KC, Buffalo, NY Jets, Washington, and a few others are all teams that either have questionable QB's or really bad ones.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #22
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Sanf Fran, Chicago, Carolina, Miami, Oakland, KC, Buffalo, NY Jets, Washington, and a few others are all teams that either have questionable QB's or really bad ones.
Minnesota, Tennessee, Green Bay...man there are a lot of QB issues, maybe it will help our DBs that a lot of the QBs arent really that great.
Old 07-09-2008   #23
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post
Minnesota, Tennessee, Green Bay...man there are a lot of QB issues, maybe it will help our DBs that a lot of the QBs arent really that great.
I don't think that you can make Tennessee part of that discussion. VY has only played two years thus far, and I thought he played real well as a rookie. Last year he took a step back, but he was hurt a lot as well. I suspect that he'll be a lot better this year.
Old 07-09-2008   #24
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry, but I don't see how Vince Young can be placed above Jeff Garcia and arguably Trent Edwards or Jason Campbell. Maybe having Kerry Collins as backup brought the overall team grade up.

Tennessee wins based on a ball control running game, solid special teams play, and a smothering defense that can score from time to time. Vince has just been along for the ride...
...at least so far.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #25
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Darius Walker wont even make the cut this year.
I won't be so quick to agree here. I think he has a good chance to make the squad. I think Taylor ends up being the odd man out. I hate to say it too, because I like his potential.
Old 07-10-2008   #26
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Sorry, but I don't see how Vince Young can be placed above Jeff Garcia and arguably Trent Edwards or Jason Campbell. Maybe having Kerry Collins as backup brought the overall team grade up.

Tennessee wins based on a ball control running game, solid special teams play, and a smothering defense that can score from time to time. Vince has just been along for the ride...
...at least so far.

Well I think he's better than Jason Campbell, but I haven't really watched Trent Edwards much to really agree or disagree.

Vince's rookie year he made quite a few nice plays, and the Titans didn't start winning until he became the starter. The team had more confidence with him out there.

Now last year was a different story. He played pretty poorly all season, but he was hurt for a large part of the season, and if VY doesn't have his legs working for him, then he's not going to beat you with his arm alone sitting in the pocket. Also remember that VY hasn't had jack to work with as far as WR's, so that doesn't exactly help. This season, he still doesn't have any WR's to help him out much. Let's see what he does this year though, before completely counting him out.

Now Garcia is still a good QB, no VY is not better than him at all right now.
Old 07-10-2008   #27
JWarren14
Beer Me

Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected

TE's today Texans @ #11:

"The Texans found a gem in third-year tight end Owen Daniels, who had 63 catches last season and is an excellent route-runner with deceptive speed and the quickness to get separation on defenders. Daniels is undersized but plays with great intensity and is effective as a wall-off blocker in the running game. The Texans don't get much production behind Daniels from Mark Breuner and Joel Dreessen, but Daniels' ability to be an effective option in Houston's complex passing attack gives head coach Gary Kubiak another versatile weapon."

Others in order: SD, Dal, Clev, KC, NYG, Indy, Tenn, Wash, Chi, GB, Hou, Jax, Den, SF, NE, Balt, Ptt, NYJ, Tampa, Oak, StL, Det, Phi, Ariz, Sea, Car, Mia, Cincy, Minn, Buff, NO, Atl
Old 07-10-2008   #28
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
TE's today Texans @ #11:

"The Texans found a gem in third-year tight end Owen Daniels, who had 63 catches last season and is an excellent route-runner with deceptive speed and the quickness to get separation on defenders. Daniels is undersized but plays with great intensity and is effective as a wall-off blocker in the running game. The Texans don't get much production behind Daniels from Mark Breuner and Joel Dreessen, but Daniels' ability to be an effective option in Houston's complex passing attack gives head coach Gary Kubiak another versatile weapon."

Others in order: SD, Dal, Clev, KC, NYG, Indy, Tenn, Wash, Chi, GB, Hou, Jax, Den, SF, NE, Balt, Ptt, NYJ, Tampa, Oak, StL, Det, Phi, Ariz, Sea, Car, Mia, Cincy, Minn, Buff, NO, Atl

Not bad, but I'd rank us in front of Tenn and Chicago. Maybe even GB if Lee's TD number wasn't as good as it is.

Crumpler hasn't proven jack with the tits yet. Neither has Olsen with the Bears.

I'd rank us at 8 or 9 with OD alone.
Old 07-10-2008   #29
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Open Daniels is a real asset to this team. I agree that he should be ranked higher than Crumpler and Olsen. tacks too.

All that aside we seem to be ending up fairly consistently top half of the pack and that's a pretty good place to be with all the youth on this team. I know GB is younger than us but other than that, who's younger than us? POTENTial!

I think this is a key year for Open Daniels. It's his turn to make the leap to elite. Less fumbles, more touchdowns. I think he's a terrific blocker. I'd like to see him break a few more tackles as well. I"m sure he was focusing on holding onto the ball by seasons end. No doubt, one of my favorite players on this team.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #30
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Open Daniels is a real asset to this team. I agree that he should be ranked higher than Crumpler and Olsen. tacks too.

All that aside we seem to be ending up fairly consistently top half of the pack and that's a pretty good place to be with all the youth on this team. I know GB is younger than us but other than that, who's younger than us? POTENTial!

I think this is a key year for Open Daniels. It's his turn to make the leap to elite. Less fumbles, more touchdowns. I think he's a terrific blocker. I'd like to see him break a few more tackles as well. I"m sure he was focusing on holding onto the ball by seasons end. No doubt, one of my favorite players on this team.
I agree on every point....except his blocking. The fumbling and his blocking are his weakest points at this time. I definitely think those are things that can be corrected in a reasonable time frame.

IMO, other than our running game (which will be better) and turnovers, our offense wasn't our primary problem last season.....the defense was.

If they were to do a similar ranking with the defenses, we'd likely be in the bottom 10 in every catagory save ILB and maybe DE
Old 07-10-2008   #31
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

If OD hadn't OD'ed on those fumbles, then his stats would have been much better. He dropped some key fumbles. Outside of that, he is a damn good TE. He was I think top 5 in yardage right? He had over 700. Just increase those TD's, and he is top 5 in the league.

Currently though, I would rank us ahead of GB, Chi, and Tenn.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #32
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I think last year was just a really harsh year for Daniels. Not because he fumbled so much, just at critical times. Hell, one of his fumbles he was the receiver of a broken nose as well as the football, he had it put back into place, and then went back into the mix. That's one tough bastard.

EDIT: I have us ahead of CHI, TEN, and NYG. Who's NYG got? Kevin Boss? Shockey doesn't scare anybody anymore.

EDIT2: I may or may not be a homer

Last edited by b0ng; 07-10-2008 at 04:32 PM.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #33
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I think last year was just a really harsh year for Daniels. Not because he fumbled so much, just at critical times. Hell, one of his fumbles he was the receiver of a broken nose as well as the football, he had it put back into place, and then went back into the mix. That's one tough bastard.

EDIT: I have us ahead of CHI, TEN, and NYG. Who's NYG got? Kevin Boss? Shockey doesn't scare anybody anymore.

EDIT2: I may or may not be a homer
That fumble you mentioned was against the Saints, which I have recorded. I have watched that play over and over and have yet to figure out how they saw that as a lost fumble. Yes he fumbled it, but soon scooped it to his body broken grill and all. Once he regained possession he should've been down by contact.

Don't get me started on Mario's sack on Brees which forced a fumble.
Old 07-10-2008   #34
JWarren14
Beer Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
If they were to do a similar ranking with the defenses, we'd likely be in the bottom 10 in every catagory save ILB and maybe DE
They will have denfense and ST next week. OL tomorrow, expecting mid to low ranking there. I hope Dressen gets a bigger role this season, he and OD can make a good combo.
Old 07-10-2008   #35
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
They will have denfense and ST next week. OL tomorrow, expecting mid to low ranking there. I hope Dressen gets a bigger role this season, he and OD can make a good combo.
Hmm, I don't know. I think the OL will be in the top half. They did very well on sack numbers and it wasn't their fault out RB's sucked. I think I posted a link a while back with Fabiano ranking us at 11 or 12 (can't remember)

I agree on Dressen and OD. I like them both this season and will expect the TE TD total to be much better.

Old 07-10-2008   #36
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I think @180 poundsSlaton will show he can run between the tackles much more effectively especially in the ZBS.
Good luck with that one.
Old 07-11-2008   #37
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Good luck with that one.
Try 201 lbs according to the Texans or 195 lbs at the combine according to the NFL. Link
Old 07-11-2008   #38
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Less fumbles would be nice. But let's keep in mind that in two years he has fumbled the ball 4 times, losing 3. Let's all remember that really deep down inside he doesn't have to bad of a fumbling problem...And as Hou-Tex so eloquently stated, he really didn't lose the broke nose fumble.
Old 07-11-2008   #39
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance_C View Post
Less fumbles would be nice. But let's keep in mind that in two years he has fumbled the ball 4 times, losing 3. Let's all remember that really deep down inside he doesn't have to bad of a fumbling problem...And as Hou-Tex so eloquently stated, he really didn't lose the broke nose fumble.
This is true. I was watching highlights not too long ago because I'm trying to fill my football void, but I saw the play. The ball came out, and he put his arm on it and it was next to his body. Then the Saints player took it away. I got mad, but then the glorious refs paid us back with the Bush fumble later on.

But OD is top five in the league if we can increase his TDs. He has the yardage. I actually think he has one of the, if not THE highest yards per carry among TEs. I don't remember.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #40
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
This is true. I was watching highlights not too long ago because I'm trying to fill my football void, but I saw the play. The ball came out, and he put his arm on it and it was next to his body. Then the Saints player took it away. I got mad, but then the glorious refs paid us back with the Bush fumble later on.

But OD is top five in the league if we can increase his TDs. He has the yardage. I actually think he has one of the, if not THE highest yards per carry among TEs. I don't remember.
Yes, but the Saints were also reimbursed on Mario's sack/FF play. Bastages!

I was curious so I did a little looksee at TE stats and it only solidified my man-crush for OD.

OD was:
6th in total yds - 768
6th in Rec - 63
3rd in yds/catch - 12.2 (Among top 10 TE's - (1)Winslow and (2)Gates)
6th in yds/game - 48
2nd in 1st down % - 69.8 (Gates - 72.0)

It appears OD is primarily utilized in the mid-range routes (10-15 yds) because he only had 8 rec 20+ and 0 40+.

He led the team in 1st down receptions with 44 of his 63 targets. Walter was right on his heels with 43 out of 65 targets.

The only bad stat of his game (which everyone knows) is the 4 fumbles that is twice as many as the next TE.

So, long story short, if we need a 3rd and long...........OD's THE MAN!

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...ue&Submit=Find

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read