Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-16-2008   #161
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2008 Schedule?

They were talking to Madden last night and he said he always preferred schedules where he had his divisional games on the road early and then his divisional home games late.

Well, we've got that.

It makes for a brutal start of the season.

BUT... and I said this last year at about this time, we're sitting here looking at our schedule saying this team is going to be tough or that team is going to be a cream-puff but we really don't know if that's true. Last year about this time, we were expecting the Browns and Buccaneers to be cream-puffs and the Panthers and Saints to be tough teams. Don't forget that the Lions started last year with a big winning streak. They could be tough in the early part of this season again.

If this team is any good, then it will find ways to win. And we have to find ways to win divisional games.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008   #162
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
They were talking to Madden last night and he said he always preferred schedules where he had his divisional games on the road early and then his divisional home games late.

Well, we've got that.

It makes for a brutal start of the season.

BUT... and I said this last year at about this time, we're sitting here looking at our schedule saying this team is going to be tough or that team is going to be a cream-puff but we really don't know if that's true. Last year about this time, we were expecting the Browns and Buccaneers to be cream-puffs and the Panthers and Saints to be tough teams. Don't forget that the Lions started last year with a big winning streak. They could be tough in the early part of this season again.

If this team is any good, then it will find ways to win. And we have to find ways to win divisional games.

Everybody is slipping a W for miami. They'll be a completely different team when we meet them. and we've rolled them like three times in row ? they had us beat untill Ronnie Brown went down.

Like I posted last year, they get off to good start anything is possible. Key for me is September 28th. That'll tell the tale of the '08 season.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 04-19-2008 at 04:37 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008   #163
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Not that it matters to any of you people here, but does anybody realize that the draft hasn't started yet, and we are talking about terrible scheduling I think Hoth-Boy has it right. The NO schedule is just ridiculously brutal (An entire month and a half away from N.O.) on fans, and honestly I'm more incensed by which teams got loads and loads of prime time games (Cleveland, Eagles). Hey, last year's schedule, I think we had 3 (maybe?) 3 p.m. games, which is the same as now, but our national game was on Thursday last year. This year we get to watch a battle red game, against the Jags, on Monday night, where there could be playoff implications. I mean, how freakin perfect is that? And it's at Reliant too? Rather than at whatever crappy teal tarped stadium is in Jacksonville? Sign me up, that sounds way way better than Denver on a Thursday.

Besides, if the Texans are who they think they are, this schedule will let them easily come out of the gate swingin.

Now with that out the way, predictions before anything has even happened:

1 Sept. 7 at Pittsburgh Steelers 1 p.m. - L Tough loss here. Harsh defense gave us a lot of trouble last year. 0 - 1
2 Sept. 14 Baltimore Ravens 4:15 p.m. W The Ravens were cupcakes last year, and I don't think they really did anything in the off season. 1 - 1
3 Sept. 21 at Tennessee Titans 1 p.m. - L These guys smote us last year, and I haven't seen anything that says they won't do it again this year. 1 - 2
4 Sept. 28 at Jacksonville Jaguars 1 p.m. - L Killer road games in september begin to spell doom and gloom on the boards. 1 - 3
5 Oct. 5 Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. - W I can see a win here for no other reason than I am a homer and I think it will happen at some point, so why not now. 2 - 3
6 Oct. 12 Miami Dolphins 1 p.m. - W Hopes look up as we torch a cupcake 3 - 3
7 Oct. 19 Detroit Lions 4:05 p.m. - W Matt Millen earns his extension by the bad decision. I could see our defense having a killer game against the Lions 4 - 3
8 Oct. 26 Bye
9 Nov. 2 at Minnesota Vikings 1 p.m. - L Adrian Peterson does it up. 4 - 4
10 Nov. 9 Cincinnati Bengals 1 p.m. - L Well, I think this will be one of those games we weren't supposed to lose and we did. 4 - 5
11 Nov. 16 at Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m. L Revenge for Peyton and his band of merry men. 4 - 6
12 Nov. 23 at Cleveland Browns 1 p.m. W Not a big fan of Clevelands "big moves" this year. Plus, the Browns have been good at one thing consistently over the last 10 years. Dissappointment. 5 - 6
13 Dec. 1 (Mon.) Jacksonville Jaguars 8:30 p.m. W The house is rockin as we put em down. 6 - 6
14 Dec. 7 at Green Bay Packers 1 p.m. W Favre-less Packers just aren't as good on offense. 7 - 6
15 Dec. 14 Tennessee Titans 1 p.m. W Putting Vince in his place. 8 - 6
16 Dec. 21 at Oakland Raiders 4:05 p.m. W The Raiders are baloney and I don't think they dig themselves out for awhile. They better hope Jamarcus Russel does it up big this year if they have any hope at all. 9 - 6
17 Dec. 28 Chicago Bears 1 p.m. L I think we end up dropping another heartbreaker at the end of the season and it knocks us out of playoff contention. We call it a marked improvement but Kubiak could become a coach nearing the hotseat if he's not in the playoffs by year 3 or 4. 9 - 7
This is the second time I've seen in this thread that they pick us to beat Indy "cuz it's gotta happen sometime". Didn't that sometime happen at the end of '06?? We KNOW we can beat them, we just have to be WAY more consistent in doing it!!!

As far as GB goes, remember when we played Chitcago in the winter and kicked the bear butts?? The Texans have won some strange games. I'm in the 9-7 crowd, myself.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #164
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is my writeup on the schedule:

FanHouse: Houston Texans Schedule Tough....At Least On Tailgaters' Livers

Basically, I make the point that you can't look to last year's win-losses to predict what will happen this year.

But that even so, the imbalanced nature of the schedule kinda bites better it is better than a kick in the teeth.

That's about as happy as I can get about the schedule.
Old 04-19-2008   #165
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
This is the second time I've seen in this thread that they pick us to beat Indy "cuz it's gotta happen sometime". Didn't that sometime happen at the end of '06?? We KNOW we can beat them, we just have to be WAY more consistent in doing it!!!

As far as GB goes, remember when we played Chitcago in the winter and kicked the bear butts?? The Texans have won some strange games. I'm in the 9-7 crowd, myself.
Yeah if they can get to within 500 in the division that would be progress. On any given sunday and all of that, but we got rolled on the road vs Jax and Indi...unless they get a whole bunch of injuries....that isn't going to change...they have more talented rosters than we do. One of the things I found interesting this off season was the p.u. of Drayton Flourance by Jax. that one was a Jack Del Rio special aimed straight at the Texans. When you got a dog down...kick him harder.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 05-28-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-21-2008   #166
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Yeah if they can get to within 500 in the division that would be progress.
IMO that is the number 1 key to next season. Looking at last season we were 7-3 outside of our division. A 500 record in out division would be a big improvement.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008   #167
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans were .500 (3-3) in-division in '06 when they finished the season 6-10.

They were .667 (4-2) in-division in '04 when they finished 7-9.

They were .167 (1-5) in-division in '07 when they finished 8-8.

See a pattern?

I don't.

Moral of the story: win more games than you lose and you will be at least 9-7 and in the playoff picture.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008   #168
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
The Texans were .500 (3-3) in-division in '06 when they finished the season 6-10.

See a pattern?

I don't.

Moral of the story: win more games than you lose and you will be at least 9-7 and in the playoff picture.
So you are saying, if the Texans go 0-6 next year, they will be 9-7 right?
GuerillaBlack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #169
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Bottom line is, we are in one of the tuffest divisions in the league. I think the first 5 games will go a long way to deciding if we have what it takes to make the playoffs outright and our injuries and how we develop at the end will decide if we can stumble into the last wildcard spot. I think Winning games in our divisions will mainly be a confidence builder. Our guys will be feeling much better facing teams in the playoffs if they have beat them at least once during the season. Some of what it takes to get in the playoffs is just plain luck with injuries. Hopefully we will come out on the positive side of that this year and finish 10-6 or better.
Old 05-17-2008   #170
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: Texans 2008 Schedule

All this talk about the schedule makes me want football to start right now.
Old 05-23-2008   #171
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak has already said it and it is still true. We have to run the ball better, and we have to keep the other teams (especially in our division) from running. The schedule is what it is, we just have to take care of business and the wins will take care of themselves. 10-6.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008   #172
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post

See a pattern?

I don't.

I like your attitude. The only thing positive 'bout the '08 schedule is that the other members of the AFC South have it more difficult than we do. Ten teams who posted above .500 records in '07 with eight playoff teams. Only Tennessee has a softer schedule in terms of last years preformances than the Texans and the AFC South. All teams are in flux that is true. But what is also true is that the Texans are faced with more turn over at more positions than our rivals. We're not just turning another page here.

http://www.kffl.com/article.php/90122/512

http://www.theredzone.org/strength.asp

Last edited by threetoedpete; 05-28-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-28-2008   #173
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Keys to victory:
Win the freakin' turnover battle! Its that simple.

Only four times did we outright win the turnover battle; guess what? We won all four games

We broke even three times and we won two out of three of those. I'll take those results over a season.
The one we lost was to Jacksonville when we turned the ball over 3 times. Ya can't turn the ball over to Jacksonville three times (not the way they were playing last year) and expect to win.

Notice anything?
There were 7 of 16 games where we won or broke even on the turnover front - we went 6-1. That means we lost the battle in the other nine but still managed to win two of those games anyway.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008   #174
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Keys to victory:

Only four times did we outright win the turnover battle; guess what? We won all four games

We broke even three times and we won two out of three of those. I'll take those results over a season.
The one we lost was to Jacksonville when we turned the ball over 3 times. Ya can't turn the ball over to Jacksonville three times (not the way they were playing last year) and expect to win.

Notice anything?
There were 7 of 16 games where we won or broke even on the turnover front - we went 6-1. That means we lost the battle in the other nine but still managed to win two of those games anyway.
couldn't agree more more daddy-o
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #175
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Keys to victory:

Notice anything?
Nice research

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read