Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-03-2008   #81
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Osi Umenyiora rips Mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
How can one think that winning Player of the Week is dubious and lucky? Sorry!
Here, I'm gonna review the KC game for ya
We all saw the game and Mario wasn't the same player week 1 that he was at the end of the year.........yes he padded his stats in that game, but he wasn't getting constant pressure like your trying to assume. Huard was running around like a chicken with his head cut off and a couple of times ran right into Mario. Mario was a MUCH BETTER player later on in the year.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #82
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
We all saw the game and Mario wasn't the same player week 1 that he was at the end of the year.........yes he padded his stats in that game, but he wasn't getting constant pressure like your trying to assume. Huard was running around like a chicken with his head cut off and a couple of times ran right into Mario. Mario was a MUCH BETTER player later on in the year.
Huard was running around like a chicken with his head cut off because he hear Mario's footsteps.

How often do you see a DE got double teamed so much? Usually it's the DT inside, and people don't want to see their QB get pressured directly up the middle.

Did the Texans ever gave Salaam that much help on the edge?

You see the big DT shredding the double team.
You don't see a DE do that as often.

If there's a game that Mario wasn't all that jazz, it was the Chargers game, in which McNeil handled him quite well one on one.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #83
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Huard was running around like a chicken with his head cut off because he hear Mario's footsteps.

How often do you see a DE got double teamed so much? Usually it's the DT inside, and people don't want to see their QB get pressured directly up the middle.

Did the Texans ever gave Salaam that much help on the edge?

You see the big DT shredding the double team.
You don't see a DE do that as often.

If there's a game that Mario wasn't all that jazz, it was the Chargers game, in which McNeil handled him quite well one on one.
It was pretty obvious that Mario was spoon fed sacks in that game. I'm not trying to hold it against him, because there's a ton of DEs that get cheap sacks, but they still were cheap sacks........any DE that played there that day would've walked away with 2 sacks.

Mario was definitely a different player later on in the year..(even in some games where he didn't get sacks).....much better than he was in that first game.

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 07-04-2008 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-03-2008   #84
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
CAUTION!!! Follow the link at you own risk.
OH... i totally missed that, my apologies... haha, that's pretty nasty.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008   #85
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It was pretty obvious that Mario was spoon fed sacks in that game. I'm not trying to hold it against him, because there's a ton of DEs that get cheap sacks, but they still were cheap sacks........any DE that played there that day would've walked away with 2 sacks.

Mario was definitely a different player later on in the year..(even in some games where he didn't get sacks).....much better than he was in that first game.
Who cares about sacks!
Ugghh, maybe you do, but I don't.

All I know, and care to know is that Mario set the tone for that game. He was most instrumental for the Texans in that win! He carried the team that day, no "but", "if", just "period"!

On offense, even AJ made a mistake that day.
Mario was all "it" for the Texans. Every win is a team win, but Mario contributed the most in that one!

You must notice that I also mentioned Charlie Anderson and Jason Simmons, two unheralded players. They played very well in that game and both got my nod!
Old 07-04-2008   #86
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Who cares about sacks!
Ugghh, maybe you do, but I don't.

All I know, and care to know is that Mario set the tone for that game. He was most instrumental for the Texans in that win! He carried the team that day, no "but", "if", just "period"!

On offense, even AJ made a mistake that day.
Mario was all "it" for the Texans. Every win is a team win, but Mario contributed the most in that one!

You must notice that I also mentioned Charlie Anderson and Jason Simmons, two unheralded players. They played very well in that game and both got my nod!
Mario did not carry the game that day. The other dlineman that collapsed the pocket and forced Damon Huard into Mario's lap had more of a effect on the sack then Mario did.

As for sacks, I do care for them, but I care for consistent pressure even more...........something Mario wasn't supplying early on. Your not going to blow smoke up my rear, I've watched every game, have every game on tape, Mario was not the same player from his first game to his last.

- Edmund Burke
Old 07-04-2008   #87
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

As much as i think hes and ***** for saying what he said, I am all for giving Mario more reasons to go out and destroy people....

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008   #88
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As for sacks, I do care for them, but I care for consistent pressure even more...........something Mario wasn't supplying early on. Your not going to blow smoke up my rear, I've watched every game, have every game on tape, Mario was not the same player from his first game to his last.
No one is suggesting that Mario didn't make progress as the season went on. Young players are supposed to get better. But to insinuate that Williams sucked at the start of the season isn't accurate. At least Mario's coach, Gary Kubiak, didn't think so.

Post week 1 presser:
Quote:
(on what exactly Williams was doing that impressed Kubiak) “I just think his consistency as a player in the game. He was a factor, he was a force. When he wasn’t getting to the quarterback, he was tying a lot of people up so that N.D. (Kalu) could get there, so that other guys could be a factor. He played well in the run game. He actually caused, as I said, he caused that one fumble with his hustle and effort. He was just 100% all day in the way he went about his business.”
Old 07-04-2008   #89
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

i'd love to read a play by play analysis on mario like that of every single game this year (minus the obvious assumptions and bias) but it looked like to me that you described pretty much what we've been saying, he was not as effective early on as he was later on in the season. he was in on the plays but not quite disruptive. he became more aggressive as the year went on and seemed to have a greater impact. and that's a good thing. god, please, training camp... hurry. this is as semantic as it gets!
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008   #90
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
No one is suggesting that Mario didn't make progress as the season went on. Young players are supposed to get better. But to insinuate that Williams sucked at the start of the season isn't accurate. At least Mario's coach, Gary Kubiak, didn't think so.

Post week 1 presser:
I never said Mario "sucked" at the start of the season (don't really know where you got that)........I said he was a different player and he was.

Also there was alot a fans, that weren't buying the spin job Kubiak was selling early on. Alot of people thought that he was just sticking up for his guy.......and that was probably the right thing to do.

All I'm saying is unlike what the other poster is trying to say, Mario wasn't one of the best DEs out of the gate.........but he sure as hell finished the season as one.

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 07-04-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-04-2008   #91
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

nobody was saying that he sucked. we're saying that he got better as the season went on.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008   #92
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93054 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario should be in the top 20, but thats it.

He was a force last year, but so far has been a one year wonder.

How high were RB & VY after their good rookie years?
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008   #93
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Post week 1 presser:
Quote:
I never said Mario "sucked" at the start of the season (don't really know where you got that)........I said he was a different player and he was.

Also there was alot a fans, that weren't buying the spin job Kubiak was selling early on. Alot of people thought that he was just sticking up for his guy.......and that was probably the right thing to do.

All I'm saying is unlike what the other poster is trying to say, Mario wasn't one of the best DEs out of the gate.........but he sure as hell finished the season as one.
You are both saying the say thing, that Mario improved as the season went on. Also, as far as how Kubiak was describing Mario's play, there were in fact a couple members of this board who kept saying that what Kubiack was saying about Mario was BS. Especially when Kubiak kept mentioning in the press conferances that Mario was the most consistant Defensive lineman, if not defensive player. Even during the couple weeks when Mario did not have any sacks. I think people get was to caught up in certain numbers (sacks) and forget to look at the overall picture.

I think we can safely agree mario got better as the season went on, and that is what you would want and expect from players. Like I said before, when you draft a player no matter if it is the 1st round or the 7th round (except a QB) you hope that they can contribute throughtout the season but do not expect them to dominate all season long because most rookies do hit a wall. You just hope that there is significant improvement from the first year and the second year and even more strides in a players third year. This is how teams Like the Colts and Patriots continue to stay on top with a set core of players while filling the team with more help each year.
Old 07-05-2008   #94
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Is there a place where we can see how many hurries and pressures Mario had last year?
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008   #95
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
You are both saying the say thing, that Mario improved as the season went on. Also, as far as how Kubiak was describing Mario's play, there were in fact a couple members of this board who kept saying that what Kubiack was saying about Mario was BS. Especially when Kubiak kept mentioning in the press conferances that Mario was the most consistant Defensive lineman, if not defensive player. Even during the couple weeks when Mario did not have any sacks. I think people get was to caught up in certain numbers (sacks) and forget to look at the overall picture.

I think we can safely agree mario got better as the season went on, and that is what you would want and expect from players. Like I said before, when you draft a player no matter if it is the 1st round or the 7th round (except a QB) you hope that they can contribute throughtout the season but do not expect them to dominate all season long because most rookies do hit a wall. You just hope that there is significant improvement from the first year and the second year and even more strides in a players third year. This is how teams Like the Colts and Patriots continue to stay on top with a set core of players while filling the team with more help each year.
kubiak ended up being pretty forthcoming and honest with his observations on Mario last year. the lightbulb hadn't really gone off yet for him but Kubiak was just trying to let him (and a lot of us fans, myself included) know that Mario was gonna turn the corner soon and that he was doing a lot of good stuff that didn't necessarily show up on the stat sheet. in the early season he wasn't getting disengaged from blocks and didn't get his nose in there enough. he was also on his feet a lot at the end of plays and had a bit of trouble getting near the action. he was doing a lot of waltzing with the tackles and even TE. the violence and aggression wasn't there but it got better as the season went along.

he had a few sacks and a few good individual plays that made you go 'wow, he just may be special' but just not enough. In the 2nd half he was doing a better job keeping his blocker off balance and not letting them get their hands on him. He started making more plays and the game came to him more easily. He still has some work to do in that area and we will probably see a lot more holding calls on his blockers this year if he continues to progress in his technique.

He can still be suckered into being out of position on his containment and screen passes but not any more than your average DE and he gives you the outside root that you need on runs off tackle and filling cut back lanes and tosses and sweeps. I love Mario and only hope he continues to develop into the total bad ass that he could be. I can't wait to see him do 'the robot' to the Mario Bros. theme after a big sack. That really ignited our crowd....loved it.

as for the original topic. screw Osi....someone should take a crap on him....who knows, he may just enjoy it.
Old 07-06-2008   #96
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post

How high were RB & VY after their good rookie years?
That's different. You can't even compare their good year to Mario's. Bush didn't even break 600 yds. and didn't have one run over 20 yds. Vince had a negative TD/INT ratio,. Neither of them deserved to be rated that high their rookie years. Mario had an elite year, and deserves to be ranked that high. Maybe not at six but in the top 15.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #97
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Mario did not carry the game that day. The other dlineman that collapsed the pocket and forced Damon Huard into Mario's lap had more of a effect on the sack then Mario did.

Any other D-lineman's name comes up that you remember? What he did?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read