Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-16-2005   #21
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Well at least the FO gets the kudos for trying. I just wonder to what extent. Was this just a ploy to show David that they are trying to get more protection? I just look at this reality. The Texans still don't have a franchise LT. Look around the league. Teams just don't let there franchise LT go. I believe the Texans only hope to aquire a franchise LT is to draft one.
Old 03-16-2005   #22
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky
Posted elsewhere, but it fit better in this thread...
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. No guts, no glory. Name a few more cliches if you wish. All i know is that I like a team that has the cajones to even attempt a deal like this. Playing it safe buys you medicority. Look at a team like Arizona. Play it safe alot, and look where it has gotten them. Kudos to the FO for trying to pull off the unthinkable.
I couldn't agree more Porky ! You pays your money and takes your chances -
or be ready to pay and they were.
I'm proud of Cass and the crew - an you gotta know ole man McNair was hangin nearby because if the subject of 2 first round picks come into the conversation, he's gonna wanta be kept informed. Hey, they gave it a good shot. Now, back to "the Draft Board". I'm not gonna be surprised if Cass wheels 'n deals in the draft next month - keeps it fun and entertaining.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #23
uga_iv
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia
. . . the Texans took him to dinner.
I hope it was only McDonald's.
uga_iv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #24
HardCoreTxn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HardCoreTxn Send a message via MSN to HardCoreTxn Send a message via Yahoo to HardCoreTxn

If nothing else, this is a good wake up call for Wand

HardCoreTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #25
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I think this implys at least 2 things:

1) They know we have a big O-line Problem

2) They don't think they can solve it through the draft in a timely fashion

However, the most glaring weakness might be at center and it has never come up in the discussions by Casserly and Capers. I would loved to have had Pace on this team and it would have ment a lot to David, but I have a feeling that if the Center Problem isn't solved the best LT in football wouldn't make any difference to this ball club. As so many have pointed out, David can not step up into the pocket most of the time, because that's where many of the rushes imminate from. We must solve the O-line problems if this team is to go anywhere. It would appear we are running out of FA options. Yes, Vinny I'm back at it, but its the truth. I wish it weren't this way.

On the flip side Fresno State has had a fairly good O-line the last couple of years and one of the linemen was rated. Do any of you think the Texans might be interested in the young man? I haven't seen much on him.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #26
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
IMO Shipley's is better, but we do have Krispy Kreme here too.
Insanity comes in all shapes and sizes.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #27
Team-Sport
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Texas has some of the best steakhouses around. Great...now I'm getting hungry.
Texas Land & Cattle Company, San Antonio Riverwalk. That was the best steak I've ever had. Please don't tell me there's a better steak than that. My taste buds couldn't take it.
Team-Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #28
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
I think this implys at least 2 things:

1) They know we have a big O-line Problem

2) They don't think they can solve it through the draft in a timely fashion

We must solve the O-line problems if this team is to go anywhere. It would appear we are running out of FA options. Yes, Vinny I'm back at it, but its the truth.
I think it means if the Texans can get one of the best in the league they will make the big play. Of course that doesn't mean that if you can't get the best whatever you have is crud that needs to be scrapped off your shoe and a new shoe bought at any cost.
Old 03-16-2005   #29
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
Insanity comes in all shapes and sizes.
I blame my insanity on my family. I was raised on Shipleys donuts and kolaches, but I have to say I now prefer Mornings kolaches.

How did I manage to make an Orlando Pace thread about donuts and kolaches? I've got serious skills.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #30
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team-Sport
Texas Land & Cattle Company, San Antonio Riverwalk. That was the best steak I've ever had. Please don't tell me there's a better steak than that. My taste buds couldn't take it.

Great steak there. BUT, the steaks can get even better in Houston... if you can believe that. Sullivan's is great, Papa Bros Steakhouse, Ruth's Chris is fantastic, Brenner's, Taste of Texas...... Man, now I am getting hungry!
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #31
TommyS
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
I don't think adding Pace is much better than adding an Alex Barron from the draft. Matt Lerh C is a greater addition than O.Pace since the problem has always been the interior of the line.
falcons website reports lehr signed with atlanta
TommyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #32
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I am glad we didn't get him... Upgrade of talent ..oh heck yeah! but I feel the interior line is our problem (until Freeney goes against Wand)... but 2+ draft picks is steep for a team that needs depth and starting to get long in the tooth on the defensive side ... for the record, I am not talking about our defense old now, but with 5 players over 30 now and we get the deal done,we'd be in the same position defensively 2 years from now except Sharper,coleman,Glenn,Walker,Payne would be around 33 and then we would be trying to get some youth into that group (assuming they would all still be here)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #33
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

as a conspiracy theory

I was trying to find a list to Fletcher smith (who I think is Pace's agent now) and wondering who he is representing in the draft and also NFL players....I am wondering if a potential draftee for us would be represented by him.. we scratched his back (in the case of Pace), I wonder if he will scratch ours in the future.
of course I might be
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #34
TheTim5125
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TheTim5125

we can still trade for him.. correct?
Old 03-16-2005   #35
TexaninDenver
Rookie

Yuck! They should tear out Krispy Kreme and throw in a Houston original -- -SHIPLEY'S!!!!
TexaninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #36
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTim5125
we can still trade for him.. correct?
No, from what I understand, bonus money is the reason why you don't see any sign and trades other than franchised players (no bonus). The money would hammer the Rams cap all at once if they were to trade him.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #37
outofhnd
All Pro

I think its a good thing Personally I think our problems were more a change blocking schemes than anything else.
As I have said before I dislike Zone blocking period.
For it to work you need smaller more athletic guards that can pull we had one of the heavier O Lines in the league. Big guys are not that mobile and if you want them to be more mobile, take the joe bugle approach and put the O line through dance lessons. It worked for the HOGS on the redskins line.
outofhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #38
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
ESPN is reporting Pace has come to terms with the Rams.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2014577

I was not suprised early in the day on Monday heard from people in that area (MO), that Rams would only take 2 #1's and I knew we wouldn't do that
BigDTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read