Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-17-2005   #21
outofhnd
All Pro

no team with a chance to tie is gonna try a make or break play and if they are tied i think the majority of the coaches will call conservative plays to get them to OT. nothing wrong with that notion at all. Yea I woula loved to see a last second TD pass but at the sametime im glad we played it safe cuz my heart woulda sunk if Carr trys to force a pass in and it gets picked off and Minnesota kicks a winning FG in regulation.

I think Carr needs to work on the shorter routes his short ball doesnt have much arc and he makes it easy to be batted at the line.
Also i think him and AJ sjould work on some pumpfake / double move pass plays I think AJ could score on those with great frequency

As far as his deep ball I love his deep ball I think some of it is just when you try that play early in a ball game you are still not settled in i think trying that play on the 1st possession of the 2nd half would make a world of difference. Also I think he needs to still work on not forcing the ball when your recievers are covered.

Other than that I think hes made a marvelous progression I think having Gaffney as a Possession #2 reciever will be better than 2 burners and will free up Johnson to be more of a playmaker reciever.
outofhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #22
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtech9
Actually CAK, they opened it back up a little bit in the OT period. But even then, it was still fairly conservative pass plays instead of going down the feild where the Vikings were weak. Even so, I was refering to the Texans playing for OT instead of going for the win in regulation.
Well, I would still differ on your memory of the game. Texans' last possession was a pass to Armstrong for 8 yds, a pass to Armstrong (aka Alexander to some folks) for 12 yds and then a pass to AJ for a 22 yd TD. That was to go up 29 to 22--so they were tied and conservatively could have gone for the field goal but went for the TD.

Prior possession started with 7 passing attempts covering 40 yds (completions of 19, 13 & 8), then 1 run then 4 ineffective passing attempts (incompletions or DC scrambling--don't remember what they were trying for) and then a 4th down attempt pass for a TD (11 yds) to tie.

I mean maybe they weren't bombs but they were effective almost totally passing possessions. Last two possessions resulted in TD's, what more do you want?
Old 03-18-2005   #23
Jwwillis
All Pro

Carr cannot live up to my original expectations because he plays behind one of the most porus O-Lines in the league. However, given his circumstance I think he has progressed well. Carr has had to study hard and learn to think fast and smart early in his career just to stay alive. This will benefit him well if he ever gets time in the pocket. If he gets time consistantly his happy feet will go away and his time to throw will seem like an eternity. Come playoff time when D's get mean he should be ready for anyting thrown at him. Hope that time comes soon for Carrs sake.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #24
cadahnic
All Pro

I was not a big Fan of Carr until this year. You are right Hulk the kid reminds me of a young brett favre and that is not a bad thing. Carr has some cajones on him and this year it is about time he puts the team on his back and carry us to the playoffs. That will depend on how much our O-Line keeps him off his back though.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #25
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

I might not be remembering it right cak, but it still frustrates me that in that game the Texans showed what they were capable of, but for the rest of the season we only saw brief glimpses of it.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #26
done88
Veteran

would be a lot higher if Pace would have signed up
Old 03-19-2005   #27
DoCt3rJ
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to DoCt3rJ

One thing I always notice about Carr is he stares down the receiver too much (ala Andre Johnson). He needs to go through reads quicker, and not lock on one player for so long and then try to thread the needle all the time, which I know he can but it's too risky to do it alot. As the oline improves, and he has more time, and we get a good pass catching TE that he can rely on. I think David Carr will be a top 10 possibly top 5 QB in the league.
DoCt3rJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #28
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What I'd Like To See

I'd like to see a little more leadership from Carr in one regard. Many times the fans think the offense is too conservative. Granted we're just fans, but I'd like to see Carr change some plays at the line - audible out of some runs and go to passing plays. This might get him in trouble with the consevative coaches, but hey - he's the franschise QB. I'd like him to take charge in some game time situations a few times and see what happens.

Last edited by Runner; 03-19-2005 at 09:01 AM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #29
Jwwillis
All Pro

Carr does check down, usually to a run on a called pass play. Rarely does it work. Also, Carr does have a pass catching TE he can rely on, Miller. What he doesnt have is a TE that can both block and catch to make the play less predictable. The Texans are not a conservative team they are a balanced team. They could be more aggresive if the o-line would give Carr consistant protection (visions of the Viking game). There is a lot to be said about ball control and balance. Warren Moons Oilers were an aggresive team with the "Red Gun" aka "Run and Shoot" offense, nobody uses it anymore because you cant win a SB without balance. Palmer helped Mouse Davis create the "run and shoot" the most wide open offense ever created. Palmer is not a conservative coach he is calling plays that fit the teams talent ( or lack of ). The Texas HAVE come out and passed on every down and usually its 3 and out. Untill Carr gets time in the pocket look for more dump offs, timing patterns in the flat, draws and screens.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #30
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to see David improve even more on his fakes, do a pump fake or two (this requires more than 2 seconds to do though), look off the safety and to not allways (like 90%+) check off to a run. That's probably not all his fault, that may be the only thing he is allowed to change to. I would like to see his numbers this year be in the 3,400-3,800 Range (I doubt our offense style would allow an above 4K season), TDs in the 24-28 range, INTs in the 12-16 range, completions above 62% and QB rating of 88-92 range. If he does this, he will have done a great job and the rest of the team needs to do their jobs, then we will be doing well.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #31
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

2004 61.2 % comp. 3531 yds 7.58 ypa 16 TD's 14 INT's 83.5 QB rating

suprising numbers considering how much under pressure he seemed in so many games, just imagine if he had an O-line in front how much higher they would be

Give DC time and a good running game and I think he will surpass our expectations
BigDTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read