Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-04-2008   #41
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Smith lands deal to stay through 2012

McNair's frustration with Casserly was no secret. He came out very publicly with the "that's not the way we do it in the NFL" revelation soon after Dan Reeves was hired. He said it live on the radio - it shocked me a bit because it seemed unlike McNair to publicly blast his GM - but it was late '05 and the wheels had flown off many weeks before. He probably figured that the Reeves hiring was humiliation enough for CC so what would it matter. My immediate reaction to McNair's comment and the Reeves hire in December '05 is below along with Justice's article built around that theme:

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showpos...7&postcount=43

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/ar...d=2005_4023684

The other comment from McNair "I think I've learned from some of the things we haven't done as well as we could have." was about as direct public hanging out to dry of a GM as you could get (especially while he's still on the payroll).

Last edited by aj.; 06-04-2008 at 09:48 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #42
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Why do people have to crap up a good thread with baloney leftover from the draft? Seriously, the pick was Brown, and now we have to live with it. That's all there is to it.

I love the extension for Smith. He works hard to make sure that we get guys (from everywhere too) that fit the system. Rarely does he make a move I disagree with.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #43
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
McNair's frustration with Casserly was no secret. He came out very publicly with the "that's not the way we do it in the NFL" revelation soon after Dan Reeves was hired. He said it live on the radio - it shocked me a bit because it seemed unlike McNair to publicly blast his GM - but it was late '05 and the wheels had flown off many weeks before. He probably figured that the Reeves hiring was humiliation enough for CC so what would it matter. Justice wrote an article around that quote (below) along with my immediate reaction to McNair's comment and the Reeves hire in December '05:

True that--no secret about McNair's frustration with Casserly's football arrogance. The Justice article was a complete anomaly--nothing like it before or since really. McNair doesn't like to dump people in the grease publicly, and Charley and Dom's exits were handled more the way McNair prefers to do things.

The gossipy part about what I wrote was the frustration with how little Casserly valued the input of assistant coaches and McNair's frustration with that. I was under the impression that Casserly rubberstamped what the coaches wanted, but what I was told is:

1. He would pick guys with little input from assistants because he didn't value their contribution to the draft process. McNair didn't understand that at all.

2. When coaches insisted on certain players, Casserly would wash his hands of the picks, being prepared to blame THAT guy on the coaches.

It's a pretty dysfunctional way of running a show.
Old 06-04-2008   #44
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

It was clearly dysfuntional for whatever reason (I've always believed CC played both roles: order desk clerk in some cases and self aggrandizing dictator in others) but McNair was very clear and very public in Dec. '05 with how he felt about the arrogant little a-hole.

Last edited by aj.; 06-04-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-04-2008   #45
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
True that--no secret about McNair's frustration with Casserly's football arrogance. The Justice article was a complete anomaly--nothing like it before or since really. McNair doesn't like to dump people in the grease publicly, and Charley and Dom's exits were handled more the way McNair prefers to do things.

The gossipy part about what I wrote was the frustration with how little Casserly valued the input of assistant coaches and McNair's frustration with that. I was under the impression that Casserly rubberstamped what the coaches wanted, but what I was told is:

1. He would pick guys with little input from assistants because he didn't value their contribution to the draft process. McNair didn't understand that at all.

2. When coaches insisted on certain players, Casserly would wash his hands of the picks, being prepared to blame THAT guy on the coaches.

It's a pretty dysfunctional way of running a show.
Quote:
McNair's frustration with Casserly was no secret. He came out very publicly with the "that's not the way we do it in the NFL" revelation soon after Dan Reeves was hired. He said it live on the radio - it shocked me a bit because it seemed unlike McNair to publicly blast his GM - but it was late '05 and the wheels had flown off many weeks before. He probably figured that the Reeves hiring was humiliation enough for CC so what would it matter. My immediate reaction to McNair's comment and the Reeves hire in December '05 is below along with Justice's article built around that theme:

The other comment from McNair "I think I've learned from some of the things we haven't done as well as we could have." was about as direct public hanging out to dry of a GM as you could get (especially while he's still on the payroll).
Unfreaking believable how much there is a differance in the way things are said by Smith and how CC used to say things. It is as though CC was drafting not to fail. Especially with how little he valued picks after the first round. The whole organization speaks differently. The it is like a breath of fresh air versus the way it was; it was like listening to Eeyore with all the gloom that spilled forth from C&C bafoons.
Old 06-30-2008   #46
aj.
Hall of Fame

A little pub in Ohio. (no, not that kind of pub)

It's good to see that sports writers from around the country are writing about the Texans while our own media is doing whatever they're doing:
http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...spbigcweb.html

I wrote the guy and thanked him for the article, but of course I had to give him my opinion on the one he called a legend.

Duh statement of the century:
Quote:
Where Smith and Casserly differ is in their leadership styles and football philosophy and that appears to be working well for the current GM.
I can't tell whether he was just trying to be polite (probably) or whether he really thinks Casserly was a legend in a good way (eek). But that's not really what's important - Smith and the current version of the Texans is - and that comes through very well in the article.

Last edited by aj.; 06-30-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-30-2008   #47
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 158648 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's good to see that sports writers from around the country are writing about the Texans while our own media is running around doing whatever they do:

I wrote the guy and thanked him for the article, but of course I had to give him my opinion on the one he called a legend.

This may be capt. obvious statement to us, but I'm glad that he went there for his local readership who may not know all the gory details.
You don't tune in at 4:30 on friday to find out what movie to see ?
Old 06-30-2008   #48
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's good to see that sports writers from around the country are writing about the Texans while our own media is running around going to movies or whatever it is they do:

I wrote the guy and thanked him for the article, but of course I had to give him my opinion on the one he called legendary. As I explained in my email, he was legendary all right ...

Quote:
There is no question that Smith entered a unique situation in Houston. At 38, not only is he the youngest and the third black general manager in the NFL, he had to replace a legend in Charley Casserly
Legend

Good article like you said other than him calling Casserly a legend. Maybe as a Urban Legend.....

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008   #49
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
he had to replace a legend in Charley Casserly
Casserly is only a legend in his own mind.
Old 06-30-2008   #50
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Screw ups can be legendary too.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008   #51
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Screw ups can be legendary too.
Laces OUT!
Brandon420tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008   #52
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
You don't tune in at 4:30 on friday to find out what movie to see ?
Yea, gotta catch "Hollywood-Johns" weekely review of the latest flics to hit the big screen. If you listen closely, you'll hear him say something about football every now and then though usually it pertains to Baylor and not the Texans.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read