Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-24-2008   #21
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398704 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sherman Talks Texans

Good to hear about our front office. We just need to see it result in a winning season.
Old 06-24-2008   #22
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
This team had Salaam at LT and still only allowed 22 sacks all season.

The truth is that it would've been difficult to run a zone scheme with guys like Flanagan, McKinney on the line. Also, without a RB to stretch the sidelines or a real athletic threat at QB, the zone stretch and bootleg weren't going to be very effective.

I'm certainly thrilled that Gibbs is here and think he'll improve things a great deal. However, he's going to have more talent at RB and OL to work with. Not to mention he's probably the greatest OL coach in the history of the NFL.

At the beginning of Kubiak's reign, no one heard anything about anything but the ZBS we were installing...........untill Sherman joined the mix. I would have to counter, then, that we certainly didn't have the personel to play the Sherman power run game with man to man offensive line, and with the type of running backs we had, either. Trying to placate 2 coaches with diametrically opposed philosophies, we ended up loosing precious time actively acquiring, compiling and building a hodgepodge of players that as a group fit neither scheme. JIMHO
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #23
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunnooooo...
he also said "Richard Smith is doing a phenomenal job..."

maybe he was just being politically correct about that part
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008   #24
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

isn't it possible that you've got some guys that are more suited for the power game and some guys that would be good fits for the ZBS and you've got a Head coach that's a ZBS guy and an OC that's a power guy and you look at each other and say... lets see what we can create? it's not so far fetched. it would have been worth trying. they tried. we couldn't run. sherman got a job, we go back to what the remaining coach knows. we draft guys that fit that scheme. oh and he brings in the guy who invented the scheme.

it's not like we "lost time". it seems like to me that we were bringing in guys that fit the ZBS more than the power (mostly anyway). guys that were more athletic. hell, even spencer who was a monster was supposedly pretty athletic all the young linemen like winston, brisel and fry and eslinger, all seem to me like they were more athletic types. i can't speak for guys like scott jackson, studdard or the guys we already had installed like pitts and weary but it does seem like we were making moves that suited the ZBS.

but while you've got the guys that you've got. and you've got the coaches that you've got, it's reasonable to try and make it work.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008   #25
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
isn't it possible that you've got some guys that are more suited for the power game and some guys that would be good fits for the ZBS and you've got a Head coach that's a ZBS guy and an OC that's a power guy and you look at each other and say... lets see what we can create? it's not so far fetched. it would have been worth trying. they tried. we couldn't run. sherman got a job, we go back to what the remaining coach knows. we draft guys that fit that scheme. oh and he brings in the guy who invented the scheme.

it's not like we "lost time". it seems like to me that we were bringing in guys that fit the ZBS more than the power (mostly anyway). guys that were more athletic. hell, even spencer who was a monster was supposedly pretty athletic all the young linemen like winston, brisel and fry and eslinger, all seem to me like they were more athletic types. i can't speak for guys like scott jackson, studdard or the guys we already had installed like pitts and weary but it does seem like we were making moves that suited the ZBS.

but while you've got the guys that you've got. and you've got the coaches that you've got, it's reasonable to try and make it work.

I don't think our problem running the ball last year was schematic. I think we had a Ron Dayne problem. Despite a definite lack of talent on the line (salaam, flanagan), we only gave up 22 sacks for the season, easily the best pass protection in the organization's history. Also, we had more big plays in the passing game and 3rd and long conversions. I think Sherman and Benton deserve a lot of credit for that.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008   #26
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

i agree that they were positives not negative. i was just saying that people are poo pooing the idea of running the zone/power hybrid with the "wrong guys" and i'm just saying it wasn't a bad idea. it didn't work, (see dayne and flannigan) but i don't think it was a bad idea.
Old 06-25-2008   #27
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
i agree that they were positives not negative. i was just saying that people are poo pooing the idea of running the zone/power hybrid with the "wrong guys" and i'm just saying it wasn't a bad idea. it didn't work, (see dayne and flannigan) but i don't think it was a bad idea.
I know, Barrett... That was me being agreeable.
Old 06-25-2008   #28
barrett
Hall of Fame

you could agree with a grill cheese sandwich. what's your point?
Old 06-25-2008   #29
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I don't think our problem running the ball last year was schematic. I think we had a Ron Dayne problem. Despite a definite lack of talent on the line (salaam, flanagan), we only gave up 22 sacks for the season, easily the best pass protection in the organization's history. Also, we had more big plays in the passing game and 3rd and long conversions. I think Sherman and Benton deserve a lot of credit for that.
...and having quarterbacks who have pocket presence and know where the ball is supposed to go.
...and having a legitimate offensive scheme that is a proven one as opposed to some cobbled together one (that helps deal with the deficiences at the QB position).

The passing game looked good because the people running it were all on the same page. I think the problems with the running game were a combo of personnel (both line and joke running backs) and scheme issues.

I think this upcoming year is the first year of the offense where it is going to look like what Kubiak wants it to look like. And not sort of the best they can do given their coaching staff and personnel. It won't be a compromise sort of scheme.

Head coach - OC - line guru: all on the same page.

This is the year we figure out whether you can get lots of running yards in the scheme no matter who the running back is.
Old 06-25-2008   #30
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
...and having quarterbacks who have pocket presence and know where the ball is supposed to go.
...and having a legitimate offensive scheme that is a proven one as opposed to some cobbled together one (that helps deal with the deficiences at the QB position).

The passing game looked good because the people running it were all on the same page. I think the problems with the running game were a combo of personnel (both line and joke running backs) and scheme issues.

I think this upcoming year is the first year of the offense where it is going to look like what Kubiak wants it to look like. And not sort of the best they can do given their coaching staff and personnel. It won't be a compromise sort of scheme.

Head coach - OC - line guru: all on the same page.

This is the year we figure out whether you can get lots of running yards in the scheme no matter who the running back is.

I agree with everything you're saying with one exception: that the scheme was a cause for our difficulty running the ball. Perhaps you're right that it was ill-advised to attempt to mesh the two systems together. And, perhaps, with a healthy McKinney and AGreen or CTaylor those problems would've inhibited our ability to run the ball. However, we had that patchwork line all year with Ron Dayne running the ball. Therefore, we didn't have anywhere near the athleticism to successful run the zone stretch- which is the staple of that offense. The only way Dayne could ever attack the edge is with pulling linemen.

Stephanie, I know you were worried about this amalgamated offense in the preseason last year. And, I don't mean to suggest that you were wrong to have concerns. My point simply is that, with the way the season panned out, it was inevitable that we would have to move away from the ZBS and that we'd struggle in the running game.

Looking back, I'm pleased with what Sherman was able to do with that offense given the obstacles. That being said, I'm thrilled with the direction and leadership of the offense moving forward without him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read