Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-18-2008   #21
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who will be the #2 WR???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I can't back this up with stats 'cause I'm to lazy, but a lot of my memories of Walter from last year was catching a lot of 1st down passes on 3 & 8 and 3 & 10, stuff like that. He always seemed to get clear enough to catch the ball, get the 1st down, and then get tackled.

That's a pretty valuable trait, really.
Yeppers.... he was solid last year every time I saw the man. He ALSO stepped up consistently when AJ was gone .... even having a 12 catch, 160 yd game against Jax. Kubiak has already publicly stated he regretted not utilizing him as much as he should have last year. Thats kind of your writing on the wall right there. He is very high on Walter and I doubt he gets knocked out of the #2 role unless by injury. JJ has a ways to go before he proves himself on the field imo. Him and Davis are also handling kick return duties... so they get extra plays there. Not to mention there will be plenty of 3 wr sets,etc... so with our depth you should see quite the mix of WR's.

But as far as the #2 and its title... its Walter for sure. I dont expect that to change this year.
Tailgate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #22
JayCee
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 JayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden cover

As others have said - Walter had the ability to get open when big plays were required. He also seemed to catch well under a lot of contact.

I'm a big fan of the guy and he's a lock for #2
JayCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #23
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Well some good posts.

Walter is not going to wow you with his YAC. But he is hard nosed and knows how to separate. He is where he is supposed to be when he is supposed to be there. He runs precise routes. He blocks. He is one of those guys who'll have people drafted at him By Mr. Smith every year and no one will be able to beat him out for his PT.

Davis must be managed properly. His body type screams nagging injury. You put the ball in his hands a dozen times a game or so, and do not over work/expose him. You rotate him with J.J. and Walter. When the defense is sliding the safeties to Andre Johnson's side that is the time to unleash Davis on the back side. And I've been posting this for four years. Once a quarter, no matter what defense they are running, you send the rain maker, Andre Johnson, deep.

Jacoby Jones needs to find his fire & passion again . What ever mojo he had, he lost when Hunter Smith slung him out of bounds on his shoulder. One of Kubiak's greatest challenges in this camp is getting J.J.'s stinking mind right once again.

My last little gripe is Owen Daniel's on the flag pattern. The seam is the man's bread and butter no doubt. I guarantee at least an explosive play of twenty or more if not six. We don't run it and we should.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 06-25-2008 at 12:54 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #24
D-Frank
Veteran

Rep Power: 97 D-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post

Jacoby Jones needs to find his fire & passion again . What ever mojo he had, he lost when Hunter Smith slung him out of bounds on his shoulder. One of Kubiak's greatest challenges in this camp is getting J.J.'s stinking mind right once again.
JJ ran a 10.29 in college, which is really fast. (aj ran 10.28 in college)
he is sposed to be this "dynamic" home-run hitter for us.
he got ran down by the kicker.....i dont wanna hear about how
kickers are athletic too or etc. I see why he never came back the
same, his ego was crushed.
D-Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #25
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
As we are talking about a runningback-by-committee approach, I see us having a wide receiver-by-committe approach as well. Johnson will be the obvious #1 all the time but for the #2, I see them switching out guys throughout the game depending on the situation.

However, for the depth chart and to start the game (snap 1), I think it will be Walter. Although, whoever starts the game as #2 doesn't mean they will see more playing time than the others. I think a lot will depend on the matchup against the other teams LB's and Secondaries... and the situation(s) we're in during the game as to who is the best option is to use.

In terms of #2 production (fantasy football), I see Davis having more production than Jones or Walter. I see Johnson having a breakout year... I'm spending my 3rd rd pick on him

I'd like to see some two back formations with Brown and Slaton and then pushing Slaton out in the slot sometimes. Think about the options we can have with some sort of reverse with A. Johnson, A. Davis, J. Jones and S. Slaton all on the field at the same time.
Now you talking!
Old 06-20-2008   #26
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Well some good posts.

Walter is not going to wow you with his YAC. But he is hard nosed and knows how to separate. He is where he is supposed to be when he is supposed to be there. He runs precise routes. He blocks. He is one of those guys who'll have people drafted at him By Mr. Smith every year and no one will be able to beat him out for his PT.

Davis must be managed properly. His body type screams nagging injury. You put the ball in his hands a dozen times a game or so, and do not over work/expose him. You rotate him with J.J. and Walter When the defense is sliding the safeties to Andre Johnson's side that is the time to unleash Davis on the back side. And I've been posting this for four years. Once a quarter, no matter what defense they are running, you send the rain maker, Andre Johnson, deep.

My last little gripe is Owen Daniel's on the flag pattern. The seam is the man's bread and butter no doubt. I guarantee at least an explosive play of twenty or more if not six. We don't run it and we should.
Good post. As long time regulars remember, I was definitely not a fan of Walter and could not understand why Kubes thought so much of him. Then last season happened and I shut up and let Kubes do his thing.
Old 06-21-2008   #27
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Further more, Kevins Walter is the most complete of all the #2's we've got. Until Jones grows into that, Walter is it.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008   #28
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCee View Post
As others have said - Walter had the ability to get open when big plays were required. He also seemed to catch well under a lot of contact.

I'm a big fan of the guy
and he's a lock for #2

'nuff said. there ya' go.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008   #29
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Jacoby Jones is going to breakout big time just like how brandon marshall did in denver after his first year!!!!
Old 06-23-2008   #30
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Walter, for obvious reasons. He is the best blocker of all of our wide outs and can always be counted on to make a catch in the clutch. Davis is what Davis is, which is a hell of a slot receiver. As for Jones, until a significant improvement is seen...he'll continue to be 4th on the depth chart.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #31
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

JJ needs to really prove himself this year and do a better job of catching the football. In the past, he has had problems hanging onto the ball.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read