Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-23-2008   #21
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84321 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where do you rank our WRs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Marvin is heading to year 13 and has lost a step. He's still good but he isn't the best WR on his team anymore.
OK. But lets assume you get to chose between AJ and MH or AJ and AD. Who do you take? I wasn't saying he's the best receiver on that team, just saying that he's still better than our #2

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #22
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84321 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
When you're a WR who:
  • Is going to be 36 at the start of the upcoming season
  • Missed 11 games in the previous season because of a knee
  • Went from Questionable to Out on the injury reports even though you hadn't played or practiced for several weeks
  • Came back for a playoff game and couldn't make it past the half
  • Is possibly going to start the upcoming season on the PUP list even though you've had seven months to recover
I don't think considering the possibility that there may be a permanent decrease in your productivity is simply dismissing a year as "non-typical".

I'm a huge Harrison fan - he's classy, and everything that guys like T.O. and Moss aren't, but it's hard to ignore the reasons why his year wasn't typical.
I agree with what you're saying, but Harrison, to me, is a Jerry Rice type. Rice was great as a youngster because of his speed and athleticism... by the middle of his career however, that wasn't what kept him on top, it was his route running, ability to disguise routes effectively and his hands that kept him on top for so long. Harrison should be back and when he comes back I think he will still run routes with the same precision and still be as deceptive as ever. He's not the fastest guy on the team but he knows how to get open.

Mike

Old 06-23-2008   #23
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 115090 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
... by the middle of his career however, that wasn't what kept him on top, it was his route running, ability to disguise routes effectively and his hands that kept him on top for so long.

Mike

I hear what you're saying Mike and I don't disagree. However I would add, what separates Rice from everyone else in the middle of his career - was his work ethic. The guy would not be outworked. His workouts were things of legend (i.e. running the hill). He applied that ethic to his film watching and game preparation as well...
Old 06-23-2008   #24
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
I agree with what you're saying, but Harrison, to me, is a Jerry Rice type. Rice was great as a youngster because of his speed and athleticism... by the middle of his career however, that wasn't what kept him on top, it was his route running, ability to disguise routes effectively and his hands that kept him on top for so long. Harrison should be back and when he comes back I think he will still run routes with the same precision and still be as deceptive as ever. He's not the fastest guy on the team but he knows how to get open.

Mike
If it weren't for the injury circumstances, I'd be in total agreement with you, but it's not just the injury - it appears to me there's something either the Colts aren't disclosing, or simply don't know. Let's put it this way - if we had a similar set of circumstances with a Texans player, folks on this board would be screaming about a huge FO conspiracy, or gross incompetence (or more likely both).

IMO, there's just as much reason to be optimistic about an Ahman Green "comeback" as there is an MH "comeback". Either could happen, but you'd be shortsighted to count on it.
ChampionTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #25
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 21 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer

With the off-season rule change, I think Marv's patented out-route to the sideline is going to get blown up. Man... I'd love to see The Fred stick Harrison as he tries to get his tiptoes in bounds.

Say word.
SOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #26
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post

I rank our WRs # 6 in the league right now. The Pats, Colts, Bengals (with Ocho), Packers and Cardinals have an edge imo but I think by the end of this season they will break the top 5. This, to me, is our strongest unit and I couldn't believe I actually took the time to argue with Cowboy fans at work who thought the Texans needed to draft a WR in the 1st round!!!
The Cowboys, and the Bengals are the only teams I'd put ahead of us, looking into the future. Seriously.

AJ, AD, & KW, that's the real deal, and it doesn't get much better than that. JJ... icing on the cake.

Now, let's not consider Terry Glenn for a moment. He didn't play a down in '07, and is talking about leaving Dallas. Without Glenn, Dallas has to come off that list. TO was their only star, Hurd, & Crayton fall into that same group with Walter & Davis.

& if the Bengals lose Chad, they come off the list as well.

Indy... Marvin Harrison has as much to prove in '08 as any of our recievers.

& I seriously can't think of another wide receiver corps I'd rather have than the one we have now.

Now, if you're talking about how we rank in retrospect, I'd say we're just outside of the top ten, but looking forward, we're bringing back the most guys from last season. & they're all talented. Very talented.
Old 06-23-2008   #27
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I hear what you're saying Mike and I don't disagree. However I would add, what separates Rice from everyone else in the middle of his career - was his work ethic. The guy would not be outworked. His workouts were things of legend (i.e. running the hill). He applied that ethic to his film watching and game preparation as well...
I know about his workout. Somebody was talking about it on nfl radio on sirius the other day. I know Harrison does a lot too. Not going to compare him to Rice, and that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm just saying that his technique over his career has served him as well as any of the physical talents he had. And I don't think he loses those. IMHO Wayne,Marvin,Gonzolez > AJ,AD,Walter... and TE's.. its no comparison.

Mike

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read