Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-22-2008   #21
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: It's game one. What position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'll be watching for and hoping an improved front-7 can take some pressure off of a secondary that may eat a lot of toast next season.
I'll be watching for the same thing. The better the front-7 forces the QB to make a decision, the less chance the secondary gets burnt. But overall, I'm going to just enjoy and absorb everything I can and hope our boys come out with a "W"! It will be tough to beat Pittsburgh at home but this will be the most confident team I think the Texans will have had to date. They beat the Steelers and that confidence will just rise! Look out AFC South.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008   #22
Jagsbch
Veteran

Rep Power: 47 Jagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respectedJagsbch is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I'll be watching the D-line and the O-line both. Nothing else matters if they don't work.
Exactly. I am watching the Steeler/Jaguar Game on NFL Network. I was amazed at how much pressure the Jaguars defene was getting on the steeler line, not to mention how big of holes the Jags offensive line was getting on the 3-4 defense.

This is where having a deep passing threat really goes a long way to opening up the running game. I noticed the holes filled on 3rd and short due to the Jags lack of a deep passing game.

Its game one and I want to have success I look to keep that defense spread, you have got to keep Troy Polamalu out of that box, while being patient to take advantage of all the holes that emerge up the gut ina 3-4.

The receivers are so vital...
When I say receivers I am talking about the RB's too and especially the RB's... Maurice Jones-Drew led the Jaguars offense in receiving in the post season he had 407 yards receiving last season.

TE Marcedes Lewis was the second leading reciever in the post season for the Jags, seeing Owen Daniels being the second leading receiver for the entire season last year is an encouraging sign for this receiving corp. However the RB's need a bigger role in the passing game IMO, especially for an aggressive overpersuing defense such as the Steelers.

While the trenches have to hold their own of course, games are won and lost in the trenches, to me the receivers have got to exausted in order to force defenses to not only be scattered on the field but in the mind as well with a diverse smorgeshboarge bombardment with the passing offense.

If the WR's can keep the secondaries hands full deep and to the outside of the field, the TE's and RB's ought to cause some serious damage to the inside of it with play-action on an over pursuing offense such as the Steelers... Once the damage is done in the passing game, to the point the safeties are in check, the running game ought to have a field day with a defense in damage control...

Texans are a team to watch this year Matt Schaub being in his second season with this system ought to make this team a force to contend with not only in the South but through out the league and into the play-offs.

The RB's have got to be utilized more in the passing game this season; especially against the Steelers who's appetite for the QB leaves a lot of room in the flats for RB's left open to do some serious damage, with the TE's over the top of the LB's across the middle...

Jags success against the Steelers came from keeping the CB's spread to the sidelines with the WR's who were not only a threat in the passing game, but in the run as well with their physical blocking abilitities.

Physical, the WR's need to go out on the field with a punch the opponent in the mouth mentality... With three big WR's on this team blocking from theWR corps ought to be outstanding. Jacoby Jones, Andre Johnson and Kevin Walter make for an outstanding force in the run game with the passing threat being so formidable.

Texans are no doubt a team to watch this season, and come game one the receivers are who I will be looking to, to step up and take this team over the top against the Steelers.
Jagsbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #23
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I am surprised no one focused on Chris Myer. As much attention as was given to that position with McKinley and the GB guy(can't remember his name now)and how the D was coming right through the middle. This could really be a significant addition as was mentioned on a thread about Myers when he was signed. His skills and size/speed should help the Oline make much improvement, especially keeping Schaub and Sage on their feet.

I hoped his dad posts again when the TC begins.
Old 06-23-2008   #24
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I am surprised no one focused on Chris Myer. As much attention as was given to that position with McKinley and the GB guy(can't remember his name now)and how the D was coming right through the middle. This could really be a significant addition as was mentioned on a thread about Myers when he was signed. His skills and size/speed should help the Oline make much improvement, especially keeping Schaub and Sage on their feet.

Hello? OL includes Meyers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #25
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Arrow Re: It's game one. What position

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post

He's part of that OL I'll be watching. Last season teams were able to get up the middle often and I'm hoping that Myers can change some of that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read