Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-19-2008   #41
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What would you have done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
1 10(10) Amobi Okoye DT LOUISVILLE Starter
3 9(73) Jacoby Jones WR LANE Punt Returner/WR
4 24(123) Fred Bennett CB SOUTH CAROLINA Starter
5 7(144) Brandon Harrison S STANFORD Possible Future Starter
5 26(163) Brandon Frye OT VIRGINIA TECH ? Not Looking Good
6 9(183) Kasey Studdard OG TEXAS Possible Starter
7 8(218) Zach Diles ILB KANSAS STATE Possible Starter
Wow! If you look at that Draft now there is a chance to have 4 starters and a good 3rd/4th WR and PR from that list. And, if Harrison shows himself to be any good during TC, we could have another backup with future starting potential. Only Frye has been a disappointment, and ironically, he was the one I thought could be the steal of the Draft. I remember Kubes even saying he had all the tools and all he needed was the repetitions. Kind of hard to get the reps when you're injured all the time.

Anyway, I don't think you can ask much more from your draft class then that. I'd be curious to know if any of the other teams got at least 4 starters out of that class. Kudos to Smith and Kubes on that draft class, and may they have many more together here with the Texans! JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #42
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Wow! If you look at that Draft now there is a chance to have 4 starters and a good 3rd/4th WR and PR from that list. And, if Harrison shows himself to be any good during TC, we could have another backup with future starting potential. Only Frye has been a disappointment, and ironically, he was the one I thought could be the steal of the Draft. I remember Kubes even saying he had all the tools and all he needed was the repetitions. Kind of hard to get the reps when you're injured all the time.

Anyway, I don't think you can ask much more from your draft class then that. I'd be curious to know if any of the other teams got at least 4 starters out of that class. Kudos to Smith and Kubes on that draft class, and may they have many more together here with the Texans! JMHO!
The only gripe I have is I think Brandon Harrison is not looking like he's a starter yet. He missed all of last year, and until I see him at least take a few snaps in the regular season, he's purely depth, or P/S material.

But yeah, if Zac Diles does become the starter, and Kasey Studdard becomes a good rotational guy then last years draft is almost on par with 2006.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #43
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
The Babin deal. The Pburnt deal. Carr. Everyone has gone back years after the fact and picked our worst moves apart. This is your chance to second guess THIS years draft. Lets limit the discussion to this years draft please. No trade talk. Just what we actually had available. Here are our picks for those not paying attention. And I'll start with the different selections I wanted to make. Make your picks here where you can actually come back a year later and say "We should have done this - I said so a year ago"

1 10(10) Amobi Okoye DT LOUISVILLE
3 9(73) Jacoby Jones WR LANE
4 24(123) Fred Bennett CB SOUTH CAROLINA
5 7(144) Brandon Harrison S STANFORD
5 26(163) Brandon Frye OT VIRGINIA TECH
6 9(183) Kasey Studdard OG TEXAS
7 8(218) Zach Diles ILB KANSAS STATE

Overall I like our draft. Not sure about adding an ILB. But it is the 2nd round. I wanted to address WR2 as bad as anybody but I don't think we did. If there is one glaring hole that would be it. I consider rounds 4-7 a crap shoot really. The most notable selection I would have done different is our 3rd round pick. We didn't need another WR3/WR4 on the roster. I would have liked one of three guys.

Michael Bush. I know we had Green by then. But let the two rotate. Bush has shown "IT" at the college level and was a preseason 1st round pick. He broke his leg (not a chronic injury) and missed the entire 2006 season. Green only has a few years left (even with the recent success of Dillon, Martin and Barber 30 year old backs just don't do well). I don't have much faith in Jones. We've already got a fast as lightning kick returner on our team. I see no reason to add another one.

Oh well... anybody else have any picks they would have like to done differently?

I should probably pick one guy... and if I had to it would be tough. I guess since we have Green on the roster it would have to be Rouse... but I'm not as high on him as I am Bush or Hunt. If you tortured me though I would go in this order.

Rouse
Bush
Hunt

Mike
http://www.drafthistory.com/

3 1 65 Quentin Moses Raiders DE Georgia
2 66 Usama Young Saints DB Kent State
3 67 James Marten Cowboys T Boston College
4 68 Quincy Black Buccaneers LB New Mexico
5 69 Buster Davis Cardinals LB Florida State
6 70 Ryan Harris Broncos T Notre Dame
7 71 Lorenzo Booker Dolphins RB Florida State
8 72 Marcus McCauley Vikings DB Fresno State
9 73 Jacoby Jones Texans WR Lane
10 74 Yamon Figurs Ravens WR Kansas State
11 75 Laurent Robinson Falcons WR Illinois State
12 76 Jason Hill 49ers WR Washington State

13 77 Matt Spaeth Steelers TE Minnesota
14 78 James Jones Packers WR San Jose State

15 79 Mike Walker Jaguars WR Central Florida
17 80 Paul Williams Titans WR Fresno State

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showpos...92&postcount=8

Shown above, J.J. started the run on second tiered WRs. There IS no promise that J.J. would have been there and probably wouldn't have in the fourth if you would of gone Bush/J.J. . Gotta figure J.J. was their target in the third. "Explosive play maker". He was all of that the first part of the season. Bush went in the top of the fourth, #100 to the Raiders. So unless you're suggesting they move down in the third and picked a guy with no prospect of helping ...at all, in '07, this is just a time killa before camp starts. You never pass on an Elite first step DT.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read