Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-18-2008   #41
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Scout.com prediction Texans 6-10

"Here are the players the Texans were playing without:
Starting QB Matt Schaub
Starting RB Ahman Green
Starting C Steve McKinney
Starting OG Fred Weary
Starting DE Anthony Weaver
Starting SS Glenn Earl
Starting CB Dunta Robinson
Starting KR Jerome Mathis "
This is from Maddict5's earlier post-link in this thread.
But wern't most of these players already out for the season (IR) weeks before
the season finale with the Jags ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #42
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
"Here are the players the Texans were playing without:
Starting QB Matt Schaub
Starting RB Ahman Green
Starting C Steve McKinney
Starting OG Fred Weary
Starting DE Anthony Weaver
Starting SS Glenn Earl
Starting CB Dunta Robinson
Starting KR Jerome Mathis "
This is from Maddict5's earlier post-link in this thread.
But wern't most of these players already out for the season (IR) weeks before
the season finale with the Jags ?
True for the most part but I'm kind of split on the topic. On one hand I can't deny that the 2007 Texans would have been a much better team with all those guys healthy and on the field all year long. From a "technically speaking" point of view we were starting a lot of backups too in that game so I feel like the guy in Animal House telling his frat brother "Forget it, he's rolling" when he has the gall to notice that Bluto just said the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

On the other hand many (if not most) of those backups were coming off of weeks of starting in place of the first string guys who were out for the season. If your backup has been playing for 4-5 weeks then you're going to get better than just-off-the-bench play from him. You have a good point.
Old 06-18-2008   #43
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
There's been also statistical stuff that shows that past doesn't do a good job in predicting future records--it's over at the Pro-Football-Reference blog somewhere.
I have looked at it the past 3-4 years and approximately two thirds of the league's record changes by 3 or more games each season. These pre-season predictions based on last year's play are silly. On NFLN the other day they said over the past few years half of playoff teams have not made the playoffs the next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
The catch is, we have a tougher schedule this year than last
Funny, I have heard that every season since 2002. If this keeps going I guess we will eventually have a schedule of playing the SB winner 16 times in one season.
Old 06-18-2008   #44
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
When you bold everything, it reminds me the folks who have to capslock everything, why is that? Oh and then when you do want to emphesize something and have it all caps it is not noticed for the most part.

If my understanding is correct, if Bob McNair would have waited a year to do this extention Rick Smith would have been a FA at the time or very close to it by months. You say he has had some good picks but also ones you do not like, I am curious to which of the 6th round picks is it you do not like? Which FA pickup is it that Rick Smith screwed up on? What guy off the scrap heap did he not find that has been at least somewhat productive, especially with all the injuries? Hell he found Maddoxx and Demps sitting at home not doing Diddly Poo and they have been very big contributers, Demps is even an upgrade over what we had.
Wo there partner, Bold letters shouldn't offend you just as your non bold letters don't offend me. Calm down a bit.

Your acting like I am bashing Rick Smith because I don't agree with him getting an extension. The fact of the matter is that Smith took over a team that was 2-14 and easily could have gone 1-15 if not for that Frisco game where there was a funny kick at the end. What did you expect the team to do after that, go 0-16? They had no where to go but up. Of course their record was going to get better, and it wasn't any dramatic increase either. They went 6-10. The next year they went 8-8. It was a decent increase in record. I'd say it was what was expected. It was certainly not an over achievement by any means. At this point Smith has done a decent job, but nothing crediting him for an extension this early. Sorry, but I put expectations a litte bit higher before I committ to one guy like that especially after how long we held on to Casserly, Capers, and Palmer. We all saw how that one went. Two years is to early to give any GM an extension unless he's taken a nothing team to an AFC championship or a SB. Three years maybe, but it is far to early to completely believe that Smith is the guy that will move and pick the right chess pieces around to bring a SB. I'm not saying he can't, but I'm not buying that he can either until I see more from him. And please stop with the whole idea that Smith would be leaving the team right away because there is no consensus around the league at all that Smith is this highly coveted GM that every team is dying to get their hands on. Not at all. He's respected, but he does have some reputation yet of one of the top GM's. I don't think the Texans would have a problem re-signing him at all. That is if the team continues to improve. Most likely they will, but again that is no guarantee. The Texans team that went 7-9 and everyone thought they were on their way up, and personally I wasn't sold on Carr, I hated the offense, and I couldn't stand Casserly. I wasn't that surprised when they went backwards at the time. So, I'm not so quick to put complete trust in a guy after two years. Again, there hasn't been any over achievements so there is no reason why I should. I hope he does become a great GM for a long time, but hope is all I can put in him right now. Hopefully that hope will turn into complete trust and confidence, but I need to see more longevity of success before I'm willing to agree that he needed an extension this early. Hopefully it was the right decision.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #45
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
[Wo there partner, Bold letters shouldn't offend you just as your non bold letters don't offend me. Calm down a bit.

Your acting like I am bashing Rick Smith because I don't agree with him getting an extension. The fact of the matter is that Smith took over a team that was 2-14 and easily could have gone 1-15 if not for that Frisco game where there was a funny kick at the end.
We lost the SF game. I suppose you mean we could've easily gone 3-13?

Old 06-18-2008   #46
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Two years is to early to give any GM an extension unless he's taken a nothing team to an AFC championship or a SB. Three years maybe, but it is far to early to completely believe that Smith is the guy that will move and pick the right chess pieces around to bring a SB.
Three years maybe? You do realize that Smith's original contract was only for three years to begin with, and would have expired after the end of this season don't you?
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #47
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wo there partner, Bold letters shouldn't offend you just as your non bold letters don't offend me. Calm down a bit.
It is an internet etiquette thing. Notice that nobody else uses all bold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Three years maybe? You do realize that Smith's original contract was only for three years to begin with, and would have expired after the end of this season don't you?
Exactly
Old 06-18-2008   #48
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
...I think we're going to be a much better team this year, but I just don't know if that's going to be reflected in the record. I think we're going to win some by bigger margins and lose some by narrower margins. But I'm expecting a 9-7 season at this point.

I'm just hoping I don't see another meltdown like that Atlanta through San Diego stretch.
i think this is a big factor that will decide if we "live up to our potential." we're a very young team and finishing games and handling adversity are probably the two biggest improvements we can expect as our team matures. I think the results of said maturity will be exactly what you've stated. when we're winning we should be able to pour it on and when we're loosing we should be able to hang in there regardless. BUT I agree that another meltdown is my biggest fear as well. I feel like we are a pretty confident team right now. If we can keep that confidence then I would be shocked to have another slide like that.

It will be exciting/scary/nerve-wracking to see how we come out of the gates. If we play well in those first 5 games it could be the beginning of a HUGE turn for this team. If we don't play well and we find ourselves in a hole right of the bat (which is very possible it will be our maturity or lack thereof that determines how the remaining schedule pans out.

please football gods... no more performances like the Chargers game, or Browns game.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #49
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 225538 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Personally, if someone posts in all bold or in all caps, or doesn't put in paragraph breaks in long posts, then I frequently won't bother to read their posts.

It's just bad netiquette.

In this case, I read the first line and then saw the block of text beneath and I just read the first line. I'm not going to bother to read the rest of it.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #50
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post

Right, so what is the problem? Where are you getting this idea that he'll go somewhere else and refuse to re-sign with the Texans if they were to offer him an extension then? Sorry, but there is not a strong consensus around the league that Rick Smith is one of the best GM's around. His name hardly ever is brought up in discussions of top GM's or successful ones for that matter. I don't think the Texans would have a problem re-signing him at all, and I don't think we would have that much competition either. We're stuck with him now, so I hope he does become a fantastic GM, but we'll have to wait and see.
Old 06-18-2008   #51
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
It is an internet etiquette thing. Notice that nobody else uses all bold?

That is exactly what I was referring to. Plus when he puts something in all caps for it to stand out it does not.
Old 06-18-2008   #52
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Personally, if someone posts in all bold or in all caps, or doesn't put in paragraph breaks in long posts, then I frequently won't bother to read their posts.

It's just bad netiquette.

In this case, I read the first line and then saw the block of text beneath and I just read the first line. I'm not going to bother to read the rest of it.
Look, enough with stuff about Bold print. I'm not offending anyone, nor have I disrespected anyone in here. I have used it in several forums before and it has always been sort of like a Signature thing.

You're talking about etiquette here, but you don't even spell the word correctly. Now, I'm sure it was a typo but this is a sports forum and the nit picking really isn't necassary. I don't even mind the mis spells either, because I know what you meant, but I'm pointing out that just like that isn't a big deal neither should bold print be a big deal. It's no different than using a different font.
Old 06-18-2008   #53
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Look, enough with stuff about Bold print. I'm not offending anyone, nor have I disrespected anyone in here. I have used it in several forums before and it has always been sort of like a Signature thing.

You're talking about etiquette here, but you don't even spell the word correctly. Now, I'm sure it was a typo but this is a sports forum and the nit picking really isn't necassary. I don't even mind the mis spells either, because I know what you meant, but I'm pointing out that just like that isn't a big deal neither should bold print be a big deal. It's no different than using a different font.
I assume PN meant to spell it that way. Internet etiquette

If you want your post read then I also suggest changing your "signature" LOL!
Old 06-18-2008   #54
Polo

Quote:

Netiquette is etiquette for the net...

By the way, your bold posts don't bother me....I'm kinda w/ you on this...
It's actually easier on the eyes...

The large blocks of texts AKA 600 word paragraphs....Thats another issue...

Last edited by Polo; 06-18-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-18-2008   #55
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Without getting all "grammer nazi" about things it's important to keep in mind that most of the conventions we currently use in writing are there for a reason. It's easier (for most people) to read text that's properly formatted. Most of the rules of the written word are there to make it easier to absorb, not just to satisfy the whims of conformists everywhere.

My dad was terrible about typing in all caps, all the time. He did it because he had trouble seeing and it was easier for him to read it that way. I put up with it because my dad was old and I understood why he was doing it but I also explained to him why he caught so much crap when he posted to the "inter-webs". Bold text (much like caps) doesn't make things any easier for me to read and I have to confess that I don't read it in large blocks. That's just me. You keep posting however you want to post. I'm not going to tell you to do otherwise. I'm just saying that a percentage of people will not read what you write as a result.
Old 06-18-2008   #56
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I assume PN meant to spell it that way. Internet etiquette

If you want your post read then I also suggest changing your "signature" LOL!
I'm sure people will read the posts. They are certainly welcome to pass it on. That is their choice though.

Again, I'm not offending anyone or going "Nazi" about spelling and grammar either.

I just came in here to talk about Texans football. I'm a passionate fan, and I figured there might be a few in here.
Old 06-18-2008   #57
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Your acting like I am bashing Rick Smith because I don't agree with him getting an extension. The fact of the matter is that Smith took over a team that was 2-14 and easily could have gone 1-15 if not for that Frisco game where there was a funny kick at the end. What did you expect the team to do after that, go 0-16? They had no where to go but up. Of course their record was going to get better, and it wasn't any dramatic increase either. They went 6-10. The next year they went 8-8. It was a decent increase in record. I'd say it was what was expected. It was certainly not an over achievement by any means. At this point Smith has done a decent job, but nothing crediting him for an extension this early. Sorry, but I put expectations a litte bit higher before I committ to one guy like that especially after how long we held on to Casserly, Capers, and Palmer. We all saw how that one went. Two years is to early to give any GM an extension unless he's taken a nothing team to an AFC championship or a SB. Three years maybe, but it is far to early to completely believe that Smith is the guy that will move and pick the right chess pieces around to bring a SB. I'm not saying he can't, but I'm not buying that he can either until I see more from him. And please stop with the whole idea that Smith would be leaving the team right away because there is no consensus around the league at all that Smith is this highly coveted GM that every team is dying to get their hands on. Not at all. He's respected, but he does have some reputation yet of one of the top GM's. I don't think the Texans would have a problem re-signing him at all. That is if the team continues to improve. Most likely they will, but again that is no guarantee. The Texans team that went 7-9 and everyone thought they were on their way up, and personally I wasn't sold on Carr, I hated the offense, and I couldn't stand Casserly. I wasn't that surprised when they went backwards at the time. So, I'm not so quick to put complete trust in a guy after two years. Again, there hasn't been any over achievements so there is no reason why I should. I hope he does become a great GM for a long time, but hope is all I can put in him right now. Hopefully that hope will turn into complete trust and confidence, but I need to see more longevity of success before I'm willing to agree that he needed an extension this early. Hopefully it was the right decision.

Let's see, there are two issues here:

1. Why the hell do you care if Bob McNair spends money to extend Rick Smith. He's not part of the cap nor is contract at a number that would prohibit Bob McNair from cutting him loose early. So, the only reason a fan would complain about Rick Smith getting an extension would be because he has determined the guy is doing a poor job and should be let go. Otherwise, if you're simply not sure, why wouldn't you want the owner to display confidence in him. Rick Smith, like Casserly, can still be fired at any time.

2. How clueless and/or cynical must one be to not see that Smith and Kubiak are doing a heck of a job and are obviously very good at what they're doing... not to mention, they're working together extremely well and have really focused the organization... To risk disrupting the inertia they've created doesn't make any sense.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #58
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Let's see, there are two issues here:

1. Why the hell do you care if Bob McNair spends money to extend Rick Smith. He's not part of the cap nor is contract at a number that would prohibit Bob McNair from cutting him loose early. So, the only reason a fan would complain about Rick Smith getting an extension would be because he has determined the guy is doing a poor job and should be let go. Otherwise, if you're simply not sure, why wouldn't you want the owner to display confidence in him. Rick Smith, like Casserly, can still be fired at any time.

2. How clueless and/or cynical must one be to not see that Smith and Kubiak are doing a heck of a job and are obviously very good at what they're doing... not to mention, they're working together extremely well and have really focused the organization... To risk disrupting the inertia they've created doesn't make any sense.
1. Your first arguement here isn't bad. If the Texans can cut him loose without a big penalty or something then I guess it doesn't make that much of a difference.

2. Kubiak has done the same thing. He has done a decent job. Nothing more and nothing less. He has done about as well as I would expect. He has not over achieved anything. He had a team that was 2-14. Of course the record was going to improve. Sorry, but I'm not sold on Kubiak either. I'm not saying he's a bad coach but I'm not willing to throw all of my chips in on the guy just yet.

Again the Texans were 7-9 and everyone thought they were about to break loose and then they went right down to 2-14. Not only was I not sold on Capers back then but I couldn't stand his game plan or him as a coach. Everyone told me I was crazy then, as well and swore that we were on our way to the promise land. Sorry, but I'm a realist and I'm not going to just proclaim the the Texans as being this break out team yet or that Kubiak is GOD. He has been here two years now and done a decent job, but nothing to throw confetti in the sky for. This will be his 3rd season as head coach where he has had a lot of say so in who the team drafts so I think after this year we'll all have a much stronger idea of what Kubiak can do as a head coach, but I'll wait and see before I buy into his whole philosophy and leadership. I am not going to automatically just assume he is the guy for years and years this early. I want to see more.
Old 06-18-2008   #59
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

The article is interesting to say the least.

Houston Texans (6-10)

"Houston is the Tampa Bay Rays of the NFL. No matter how much better or more promising they get, they always have to contend with a couple of great teams at the top of the division. It does not appear to be 2008, but the Texans could be nearing a 2008 Rays-like breakthrough. The Texans average 21.3 points per game (#23) and allow 24.6 points (#20) against a schedule featuring eight games against 2007 playoff teams.

Absolute Record: 6-10".

Then this:..

"Closest Game: Tennessee (Week 15) - With the AFC Wild Card picture wide open, this looks like a game that could keep the winner's playoff hopes alive."

Sounds like they covered their arsses just in case...

6-10 team in the playoffs...indeed.

Sports journalists?

Old 06-18-2008   #60
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I guess to some people no Super Bowl appearances after two seasons = failure. Or they fail to see the conditions in which Kubiak took this team over with the amount of Dead Money, and the constraints in which to work in against the salary cap hell, that we were headed towards.

Quote:
1. Your first arguement here isn't bad. If the Texans can cut him loose without a big penalty or something then I guess it doesn't make that much of a difference.

2. Kubiak has done the same thing. He has done a decent job. Nothing more and nothing less. He has done about as well as I would expect. He has not over achieved anything. He had a team that was 2-14. Of course the record was going to improve. Sorry, but I'm not sold on Kubiak either. I'm not saying he's a bad coach but I'm not willing to throw all of my chips in on the guy just yet.

Again the Texans were 7-9 and everyone thought they were about to break loose and then they went right down to 2-14. Not only was I not sold on Capers back then but I couldn't stand his game plan or him as a coach. Everyone told me I was crazy then, as well and swore that we were on our way to the promise land. Sorry, but I'm a realist and I'm not going to just proclaim the the Texans as being this break out team yet or that Kubiak is GOD. He has been here two years now and done a decent job, but nothing to throw confetti in the sky for. This will be his 3rd season as head coach where he has had a lot of say so in who the team drafts so I think after this year we'll all have a much stronger idea of what Kubiak can do as a head coach, but I'll wait and see before I buy into his whole philosophy and leadership. I am not going to automatically just assume he is the guy for years and years this early. I want to see more.

>>>>>>Intentionally un-bolded<<<<<<<<
1. There is no question 'IF'.

2. "...2-14 Obviously the record was going to improve...?? You really have no idea of how bad of shape this franchise was left in after the C&C Factory departed - huh? Salary Cap issues, with a ton of dead money. Not much talent and certainly NO depth on the roster. In fact, the roster has been drastically overhauled since Smith and Kubiak took the reigns.

Quote:
Again the Texans were 7-9 and everyone thought they were about to break loose and then they went right down to 2-14.
While many people did buy into that, with a closer look you would have noticed signs of them imploding. Jamie Sharper made comments about leadership on and off the field (referencing coaching and I am sure HWSRN). The Cleveland game alone that year was enough to send up red flags up. We had Cleveland, here. They weren't that good at the time. The Texans had every reason to come out and win to go 8-8 and yet the team imploded and got destroyed..

As far as phrases "break out years", I think thats a bit cliche', overworked, old and boring. A competitive year and at least in the hunt for the play-offs would be the next stepping stone for me.. As far as claiming Kubiak as "GOD", I haven't seen anyone proclaim that, but I guess that was an over-dramatization for symbolic sake. People have stated their being pleased with the progress Kubiak and Smith have made in two seasons given the constraints mentioned before. Not to mention the fact that both guys are in their very first HC and GM positions ever.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read