Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-17-2008   #21
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Scout.com prediction Texans 6-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
In reality, if we were the Arizona Cardinals of the AFC, everybody would be picking us to go 10-6 (and we actually would go 6-10).

6 1/2 months from now if we're 10-6, nobody's going to even remember this prediction. To be completely honest, if we're 6-10, nobody's going to remember this prediction then either.
Are you kidding? 6 1/2 months from now if we are 10-6 Wolf would bring this thread back to life.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #22
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Are you kidding? 6 1/2 months from now if we are 10-6 Wolf would bring this thread back to life.
who says 6 1/2 might be year and a half :mshadows:
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #23
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 21 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Very good objective opinion Texanmike. I agree with you. Health will be a BIG issue as it is with any team, but the Texans don't have depth really at an position but QB, if the starters go down and you know that some will go down. If Bennett goes down, then the Texans are really going to be in a bad position.

I think the Texans will go 6-10 at the worst and 9-7 at best.

With that being said, the Texans have better players and all but it is still hard to say that they are a team on the rise for BIG things. Until we have a QB, where I can say WOW, he is THE GUY then I dunno. I am really mad about that extension Rick Smith got. He has made some good picks and a few that I don't agree with either. I think that Mcnair should have waited AT LEAST one more year to see what the Texans do this year to have a more accurate idea of where this team is going.

The position I feel the best about on the Texans right now is the WR position and they only have one STUD. Andre Davis played pretty well last year, and I really think if him and Johnson both are healthy this year he can be a guy that could put up 700-900 yards. On the other hand he could end up being a pretender. I think he'll do pretty well. Plus, we still have no idea how Jacoby Jones will play. He looked great in pre season, and then looked like a typical non special rookie before and after his early injury. Maybe Jones will become a great player, but right now he hasn't shown anything to storngly speculate that other than that pre season performance but I have been watching football for to long to put any relevance on pre season.
Not to get off topic - but I couldn't disagree more with the assessment on Rick Smith. This guy inherited a team coming off a two win season and in two years has completely revamped the roster, salvaged the salary cap situation, and put together a team that went 8-8 last season despite several injuries, some to key players. Every team in the NFL can look back on a player drafted or transaction made and second guess, but IMO it is hard to argue with the collective body of work.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #24
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Pure Crap.
Old 06-17-2008   #25
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Very good objective opinion Texanmike. I agree with you. Health will be a BIG issue as it is with any team, but the Texans don't have depth really at an position but QB, if the starters go down and you know that some will go down. If Bennett goes down, then the Texans are really going to be in a bad position.

With that being said, the Texans have better players and all but it is still hard to say that they are a team on the rise for BIG things. Until we have a QB, where I can say WOW, he is THE GUY then I dunno. I am really mad about that extension Rick Smith got. He has made some good picks and a few that I don't agree with either. I think that Mcnair should have waited AT LEAST one more year to see what the Texans do this year to have a more accurate idea of where this team is going.

The position I feel the best about on the Texans right now is the WR position and they only have one STUD. Andre Davis played pretty well last year, and I really think if him and Johnson both are healthy this year he can be a guy that could put up 700-900 yards. On the other hand he could end up being a pretender. I think he'll do pretty well. Plus, we still have no idea how Jacoby Jones will play. He looked great in pre season, and then looked like a typical non special rookie before and after his early injury. Maybe Jones will become a great player, but right now he hasn't shown anything to storngly speculate that other than that pre season performance but I have been watching football for to long to put any relevance on pre season.
Well, thats a Bold statement, if ever I saw one...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #26
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Lets be honest here, last years record was really more like 7-9 than 8-8
if the Jags come into Reliant full-bore with their starters in the season finale.
OK splilt the difference and we're 7.5-8.5. The point is a 6 win season is not really much different than last year. Are we better than last year ? Maybe but
we've probably also got a tougher schedule. 6 wins vs. 8 or 9 wins is basically about the injury situation (yours and your oppenents), and a couple
key calls by the zebs.
I'd say personnel wise, we're much better off. The fact is we were very unlucky with the schedule this year, Two young guys holding the corner on defense. and as talented as they are, as high a ceiling as they have , they are still rookies. We still don't know if we have a LB who can run with an elite TE. Don't know how the o-line will shake out. Which Rb can string together seven healthy games....just a lot of bitter ifs for those first five games.

Same as last year. They go four & one out of the gate all things are possible.
But expecting a bunch of young guys to go on the road and play like hardened veterans, is pretty big reach. Possible, not probable.
Old 06-18-2008   #27
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

So where did scout.com have the New York Giants finishing this past season before Training Camp?

BTW, the Giants went 8-8 the year before last and come back this past year and defeat the might cowpokes and the almighty perfect Patriots. The precedent has been set. Just line up on Sunday and let's see what happens.

With less injuries than last year, no way we don't finish at least one game to the plus.
Old 06-18-2008   #28
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 111406 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

OK. To put it simply... there's no way to accurately predict the total wins. I mean you may get lucky... but if you predict say all 32 teams... and all of their games against one another... you'll be lucky to get 5 right..... But you can make statements about the team. I happen to think they don't give our offense enough credit.... and they don't account for the fact that we're looking for 2 new OLBs....... but generally... the things that will have the biggest impact are QB play and secondary play. If both go above expectations... we're going to have a great year... maybe even surpass my 10 win cap.. if they both have a terrible year.. we may be picking in the top 10 again..... most likely one will surpass my expecations and one will fall short and I think we'll wind up .500 +/- 1.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #29
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
OK. To put it simply... there's no way to accurately predict the total wins. I mean you may get lucky... but if you predict say all 32 teams... and all of their games against one another... you'll be lucky to get 5 right..... But you can make statements about the team.
I agree.

Last year, I made 1 prediction on the Texans just on how good I felt the team was and I predicted 8-8. I got lucky.

Now, I also made a second prediction. In the second prediction, which I don't think I printed anywhere online, I went through and tried to predict on a game by game basis before the season started how I thought all the teams were going to do.

I've been in some pick-em leagues now for about 10 years and I normally do better than the "experts" especially over the course of the entire season. But that's picking on a weekly basis and knowing about injuries and trends. Predicting the entire season before the season, I was totally and completely off. I picked 3 teams' records correctly: Seahawks, Cardinals, and Chargers. There were a lot of teams I missed by 1.

But there's just no way that anyone can really predict the season. There are too many variables. ESPECIALLY with a game simulator.

I think we're going to be a much better team this year, but I just don't know if that's going to be reflected in the record. I think we're going to win some by bigger margins and lose some by narrower margins. But I'm expecting a 9-7 season at this point.

I'm just hoping I don't see another meltdown like that Atlanta through San Diego stretch.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #30
ocd
Rookie

Whoever agrees with this clown assessment just doesn't get it.

We gave the game away to the Titans at the end. That would have put us at 9 and 7.

And the Jags? Come on! If you know football you know that they are a fluke. And please don't give me how solid their defense or their offense is garbage. We just cut their third string QB that had his "magic day" against us.

We'll go 4 and 2 (if not 5 and 1) in the division and 10 and 6 in the 2008 season. We've learned what it takes to win and we've seen the commitment from the front office and coaching staff.

The thing that makes me smile the most about reading that CRAP article is knowing that one ALEX GIBBS read it as well. Whew! He's gonna be pissed.
Old 06-18-2008   #31
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm trying to understand scout.coms projection they provide good coverage its their analysis that seems to be shortsighted.

Look the biggest thing is to keep Schaub healthy & upright Rick Smith acomplished this by taking a LT in the first round, signed off by Alex Gibbs, & also addressed a even bigger weakness @ Center with Chris Meyers. coaching the talent already on hand up via Gibbs will also help improve offensive time of possesion, scoring, yardage etc that translates into more wins not less.

Scout.com needs to flip it to read 10-6

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #32
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
who says 6 1/2 might be year and a half :mshadows:
This is true. Wolf is an appropriate name. There is no amount of time that goes by that makes any post or thread safe as long as Wolf patrols the board.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #33
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Has anyone done a game by game analysis of the upcoming Texan's schedule on texanstalk.com?

That might be fun to do.
Old 06-18-2008   #34
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
Has anyone done a game by game analysis of the upcoming Texan's schedule on texanstalk.com?

That might be fun to do.
I made a predictions thread, and many people did it there:

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49257
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #35
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 42567 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
If I remember correctly, scout.com gave the Texan draft an F and gave the Titan draft a B- so you have to take there analysis with a grain of salt.
And so we have it here, folks

We are caring about the opinions of a site that had its opinions invalidated greatly
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #36
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Were we not playing backups? Why, I think we were.
Except for Sage (who really is atleast our #1b and not our #2 QB), I think we went mostly with starters for the whole game ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #37
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Except for Sage (who really is atleast our #1b and not our #2 QB), I think we went mostly with starters for the whole game ?
No.

I'm sure we didn't. I think they played like a quarter or half. Don't remember.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #38
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
from the front page of this site:

Quote:
Donít believe the media hype. BOTH teams had several players out today.
Iím not one to be a homer, and thatís not going to change today - but I have to address the media blitz today that was pounding us in the face with a hammer labeled ďThe Jaguars are resting their best players.Ē Let me cut right to the chase. If you want to see who the Jaguars were playing without - go to ANY football site in existence and there will be an article about it, or watch highlights of the game and listen to the announcers regurgitate the information over and over. Here are the players the Texans were playing without:

Starting QB Matt Schaub
Starting RB Ahman Green
Starting C Steve McKinney
Starting OG Fred Weary
Starting DE Anthony Weaver
Starting SS Glenn Earl
Starting CB Dunta Robinson
Starting KR Jerome Mathis

So it would be nice if the media, who have suddenly made darlings out of the Jaguars, could just shut their mouths about that garbage. The bottom line is - the Texans beat the Jaguars handily, and BOTH TEAMS had a lot of key players not in the starting lineup. Now, to say the game was meaningless to the Jaguars - thatís a fair point that canít be argued. Some would say that itís more important to have momentum going into a playoff game than it is to rest your players - hogwash. The Jags would have played far better had they started their full compliment of players, and if the game had been important to them. Thatís not the point I have issue with. But this noise about how the Jaguars were somehow at a huge competitive disadvantage because they didnít play all their best guys is a load of bull.

Rant over. Okay, letís get back to the actual contest.
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #39
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

When you bold everything, it reminds me the folks who have to capslock everything, why is that? Oh and then when you do want to emphesize something and have it all caps it is not noticed for the most part.

If my understanding is correct, if Bob McNair would have waited a year to do this extention Rick Smith would have been a FA at the time or very close to it by months. You say he has had some good picks but also ones you do not like, I am curious to which of the 6th round picks is it you do not like? Which FA pickup is it that Rick Smith screwed up on? What guy off the scrap heap did he not find that has been at least somewhat productive, especially with all the injuries? Hell he found Maddoxx and Demps sitting at home not doing Diddly Poo and they have been very big contributers, Demps is even an upgrade over what we had.
Old 06-18-2008   #40
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 111406 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post

That might be fun to do.
I'll put out there a little more indepth analysis as we get closer to the season.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read