Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-17-2008   #41
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: RB's - who'll fall within reach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
This is in Jesus riding a dinosaur territory
No kidding... doesn't he know that the Texans moved to Kansas City a long time ago and became the Chiefs?!?!?
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #42
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this thread is good evidence that all of you guys are assholes
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #43
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Well that just goes without saying!

Seriously though, I'm not harping on nfl-brit at all. He has obviously been pretty absorbed in whatever he was doing if he forgot when the Draft was. I am actually really curious about where he has been and what he has been doing now, haha.
Old 06-17-2008   #44
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
do I detect a note of sympathy for the Brit?
b0ng... are you getting mushy on us dude?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #45
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think I'm an asshole just because we have a double naught spy as a fan AND our very own time machine. I think that makes me cool. You must like Get Smart over James Bond, you hater!!!!
Old 06-17-2008   #46
nfl-brit
Groovy, baby!

Rep Power: 11 nfl-brit was voted MVPnfl-brit was voted MVPnfl-brit was voted MVPnfl-brit was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Based on this post in another thread, I am going to make some assumptions. I normally do not like to make assumptions (you know what they say), but in this case I think some may be warrented.

Assumption 1) Maybe he had a tour of duty in Iraq or some equally unpleasant place.

Assumption 2) the tour was with a British unit, so NFL news was not common

Assumption 3) Given the time diff, several alcoholic beverages have been consumed.

So if you add up all the assumptions, you come up with a Brit Special Services guy just back from a hazardous tour of duty, who is doing a little celebrating. So given all of this, I choose to be nice and give him a link to the draft.

2008 NFL Draft
Correct on all counts! And thanks for the link, mate.

Actually not home yet, posted from a skanky hotel en route!

Oh, and for those who chose to be sarky or score chuckle-points - **** off and Bollocks, you stay-at-home-mincers.

Ahem.

Returning-Warrior's-indignation aside, I do now feel like a bit of a twonk.......it's draft in April, pre-season in August, yes?

Oh dear, oh dear. This would be funny if it weren't so sad. In my (admittedly feeble) defence, none of the Taliban I've slotted on this tour were carrying Sports Illustrated.

It's actually a little scary - with one 20 min phonecall a week and 2 patrols a day, much of life elsewhere just sort of....fades.

Time to google this new RB of ours.....who'd best not suck.

Sig by AZwhoopr
Adopt-a-Texan 2008 : Matt Schaub
"nfl-brit.....keeping Allah busy since 1988"

Last edited by nfl-brit; 06-17-2008 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Alcohol
nfl-brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #47
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl-brit View Post

Oh, and for those who chose to be sarky or score chuckle-points - **** off and Bollocks, you stay-at-home-mincers.

Ahem.

Returning-Warrior's-indignation aside, I do now feel like a bit of a twonk.......it's draft in April, pre-season in August, yes?

Oh dear, oh dear. This would be funny if it weren't so sad. In my (admittedly feeble) defence, none of the Taliban I've slotted on this tour were carrying Sports Illustrated.

It's actually a little scary - with one 20 min phonecall a week and 2 patrols a day, much of life elsewhere just sort of....fades.

Bro it is all good. Once ya get home and if you ever get Texas-side (not state side) I wil buy you all the pints and fags [smokes for the uninformed] you want and a sports illustrated (swimsuit edition). Yes a lot had a good laugh at your post but once you settle in you will understand the comedy in it.

Oh and to let you know we kid cause we care and if you ever see a pic of overalls and all his military patches you will know just what I am saying. If you got an extra patch I am sure he would be proud to display it like he does all the others for the rpoud men and women who serve. My old man, brothers and brother-n-law all served. If you got any questions just ask and while we kid we will answer.

Old 06-17-2008   #48
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Ahem.

Glad you're on your way back safe and sound Brit.
And, as you might have noticed, its slooooow here too while we wait for training camp to start. Otherwise, this thread wouldn't have gotten three pages of replies.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #49
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is it just me...or is this some funny shit right here?

Sounds like y'all might be in for a floggin
Old 06-17-2008   #50
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Ahem.

What, they don't have internet in the desert? Getting shot at is no excuse for not keeping up with the Texans.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #51
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Ahem.

Wow... that's nuts!! I'm happy you are home in one piece.

Yep, go to Youtube and watch some Slaton videos. If he can play like he did as a junior then he could very easily be our home-run hitter for years to come.
Old 06-17-2008   #52
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Bro it is all good. Once ya get home and if you ever get Texas-side (not state side) I wil buy you all the pints and fags [smokes for the uninformed] you want and a sports illustrated (swimsuit edition). Yes a lot had a good laugh at your post but once you settle in you will understand the comedy in it.

Oh and to let you know we kid cause we care and if you ever see a pic of overalls and all his military patches you will know just what I am saying. If you got an extra patch I am sure he would be proud to display it like he does all the others for the rpoud men and women who serve. My old man, brothers and brother-n-law all served. If you got any questions just ask and while we kid we will answer.

Overalls agrees with this post. While he is talking or rather typing in the 3rd person, he whould be very honored to add one of your unit patches to the ones he now proudly displays. I myself have spent time in the desert back when GW 1 was in control. Although with my current body shape it would be hard to believe.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #53
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 135487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
Wow... that's nuts!! I'm happy you are home in one piece.

Yep, go to Youtube and watch some Slaton videos. If he can play like he did as a junior then he could very easily be our home-run hitter for years to come.
Don't count on that happening with Slaton. It's a reason a lot of teams weren't knocking down the door to draft Slaton. He was losing his job in college, and he really shouldn't have had to come out this year in the draft, but with a lot more carries next year going to other backs than his chances were better to come out this year and that's it's not surprise he went in the third round.

Now he does have talent, and he does have that break away potential, but I dunno. I really don't see the Texans offense utilizing him enough to get his best potential.

Who I'd like the Texans to go after is that guy in Denver with the last name Hall. He was like 3rd string last year behind Selvin Young. Every time that guy got in last year he was breaking nice plays. He is really explosive, and has HR hitting potential. He also looked stronger than Selvin Young as well. He obviously knows the same sort of running style that Kubiak is trying to implement so that is another plus. Denver has reloaded with more RB's again right now, so I think we could probably get the guy for next to nothing right now from Shanahan. The guy started one game last year and had 200 all purpose yards.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #54
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

NFL-BRIT thanks for being a good sport allowing us some humor. Now thanks even more for your military service. A long, slow salute of respect from this Marine Devil Dog. Active 1970-1973 ready to defend God, family and country for ever. Contact me if you ever get to Texas. Meal and your choice of drink on me. Steve
Old 06-17-2008   #55
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Don't count on that happening with Slaton. It's a reason a lot of teams weren't knocking down the door to draft Slaton. He was losing his job in college, and he really shouldn't have had to come out this year in the draft, but with a lot more carries next year going to other backs than his chances were better to come out this year and that's it's not surprise he went in the third round.

I would have to disagree with this.

His decision to come out probably has something to do with his HC taking the Michigan job. And while Rodriguez was on his way out destroyed every piece of information on every player that played at W. Virginia. I would have jumped ship too, W.V. is going to be in a world of hurt. They are going to have to start from ground zero.

Also, teams draft players that fit there system and Slaton is a zone scheme type back and that is why we saw him fall to us in the third, not necessarily is he a bad player. Ryans fell to us in the second and he was clearly a top 10 talent. It just happens that way. Last year Slaton was considered a 1st round talent and this year he split time and still gained a 1000 yards.

Old 06-17-2008   #56
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 135487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see it happening. He does not seem like a guy who will ever be able to carry the ball 20 to 25 times a game. I think he could be used much better on a lot of screen passes sort of the way NE would use Kevin Faulk. He could be affective in that sence, but I haven't seen Kubiak use any RB's that way so I don't have any reason to feel confident that they will all of a sudden get real creative with passes to the RB. Is it because we have had really bad ones under Kubiak? Possibly, but I dunno.

I hope you're right, and he makes all kinds of plays but for right now thinking objectively I just don't see it. I was never that impressed with him in college, and he didn't really seem to improve from his sophmore season to his Junior season either.

I think that Kris Brown would have some potential in this scheme, but how long will it be before he's on injured reserve?
Old 06-17-2008   #57
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Quote:
I don't see it happening. He does not seem like a guy who will ever be able to carry the ball 20 to 25 times a game. I think he could be used much better on a lot of screen passes sort of the way NE would use Kevin Faulk. He could be affective in that sence, but I haven't seen Kubiak use any RB's that way so I don't have any reason to feel confident that they will all of a sudden get real creative with passes to the RB. Is it because we have had really bad ones under Kubiak? Possibly, but I dunno.

I hope you're right, and he makes all kinds of plays but for right now thinking objectively I just don't see it. I was never that impressed with him in college, and he didn't really seem to improve from his sophmore season to his Junior season either.

I think that Kris Brown would have some potential in this scheme, but how long will it be before he's on injured reserve?
Like I said, he can be a home-run hitter. He will never be able to carry the ball 20+ times... he isn't that kind of back. Hopefully he can be our "Lightning"... the guy who can get around the edge and stretch the defense.

Haha, I don't foresee Kris Brown being on the IR any time soon, unless he pulls a Charlie Brown. Now, on the other hand, Chris Brown is another story. I won't hold my breath. I'd be content with 10 healthy games out of him, because we didn't even get that out of Ahman.
Old 06-17-2008   #58
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Like I said, he can be a home-run hitter. He will never be able to carry the ball 20+ times... he isn't that kind of back. Hopefully he can be our "Lightning"... the guy who can get around the edge and stretch the defense.

Haha, I don't foresee Kris Brown being on the IR any time soon, unless he pulls a Charlie Brown. Now, on the other hand, Chris Brown is another story. I won't hold my breath. I'd be content with 10 healthy games out of him, because we didn't even get that out of Ahman.

yeah, truth be told, I'm still nervious about our running back situation.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #59
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:

DD comes to mind when I see Slaton. This time around we have enough talent on offense that we wont kill Slaton and rely on him for 45% of our offensive production.

I don't think any of our RB's are going to get the ball 20-25 times. I still don't think Green makes it to opening day, but even so, Brown, Taylor, and Slaton, there is going to be enough ball for everyone.

Old 06-17-2008   #60
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Well I hate how the Texans didn't draft Mendenhall. He is the real deal.

Again, I really like that guy Hall from Denver and I don't think that it's to much of a stretch to get that guy on the Texans for like a 5th or 6th round pick.

Another guy that looked really good last year who is on a pretty deep RB depth chart is Canton Kieth. He played really well everytime Addai went down last year. I kept him on my fantasy roster all season long on the bench just waiting for Addai to miss a game or a few. I heard that he isn't that great of a blocker or in the passing game, but that Kieth really seemed to know how to run in between the tackles well. He was just arrested for something pretty small recently, and I think the Colts were on the verge of releasing him. I would rather have both of those backup RB's than Brown and Green right now who are always hurt.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read