Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-13-2008   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Feed back wanted on D.E.

There is reason to believe that the LT, CB and Rb positions may have been addressed. DT will be stronger and Okam may play a role. Kubes is high on Zak DIles as OLB and signed FA to shore that spot. My question because there is little to talk about, is on DE across from Mario; would seem to be the glaring weakness. Colvin may or not sign but is no long term solution. Would you trade up to land a top 10 selection to get "the" player to compliment Mario? Most drafts probably not and I know Kubes/Smith want more picks, but the team is rounding out to look good & 2009 may be year to go for that "go getter". I realize that injuries could change focus as could any and all draft pick being duds. Some projected ends look pretty good.
Old 06-13-2008   #2
Polo

Default Re: Feed back wanted on D.E.

There's so many variables that would go into a decision like that...I can't even begin to think of whether or not I'd trade into the top ten next year....
Old 06-13-2008   #3
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

I'm opposed to trading up in the first round unless there is a specific player that would fill the one missing piece you need. The cost is just too high. The Texans have had way too many busts or traded picks in the second and third rounds in the past to be able to have the kind of depth that a good team needs to have to be able to fill holes in case of injuries and free agency losses.

Plus, good pass rushers are usually still available late in the first round, if we are lucky enough to be picking then. This past draft the following DE's were taken with at the corresponding picks:
28. Lawrence Jackson
32. Phillip Merling
50. Calais Campbell
52. Quintin Groves
54. Jason Jones
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I only like trading up if you were a team that made it past the first round of the playoffs.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008   #5
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
There is reason to believe that the LT, CB and Rb positions may have been addressed. DT will be stronger and Okam may play a role. Kubes is high on Zak DIles as OLB and signed FA to shore that spot. My question because there is little to talk about, is on DE across from Mario; would seem to be the glaring weakness. Colvin may or not sign but is no long term solution. Would you trade up to land a top 10 selection to get "the" player to compliment Mario? Most drafts probably not and I know Kubes/Smith want more picks, but the team is rounding out to look good & 2009 may be year to go for that "go getter". I realize that injuries could change focus as could any and all draft pick being duds. Some projected ends look pretty good.
For me it's just way too early to tell. I don't have enough knowledge yet of the DE's coming out to be able to say it's a good idea. Who are the "projected ends" that look pretty good? Is the class this year suppose to be strong? I think this past years class was considered weak and that's why the Texans passed on picking any, especially in the later rounds.

Also, some of those DE's that may look good now could fall during the year for one reason or another. Remember the DE from TCU this past year? And look at Mario a couple of years ago. He wasn't on anyones radar until the Combine. Just food for thought during this lull in the action!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008   #6
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 207192 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

The preseason with its waiver lines, surprises within our own present ranks, possible FA signings.........and a long regular season, make it quite possible that we won't necessarily need to go fishing in the 1st round for that DE. Like POLO essentially already stated, many things can......and are bound to happen before the next draft.........too many to make this a topic of concern now.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008   #7
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

As of now, and it's really too ealry to tell too much, but as of now, these are some guys to watch:

George Selvie, DE, South Florida
Greg Hardy, DE, Ole Miss
Greg Middleton, DE, Indiana
Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU (I already do not like him. I like him less initially than I did Dorsey)
Ian Campbell, DE, Kansas State (Booo!)
Ricky Sapp, DE, Clemson
Auston English, DE, Oklahoma
Maurice Evans, DE, Penn State

These are the guys I remember or have seen before. Johnson may not have the starting experience, but watch you for him. Selvie is clearly at the top of the 4-3 list. He is a pure pass-rusher with a rangy build and an excellent first step. Think Freeny's first step with a Mario-lite body. I didn't like Dorsey last year for how he was projected, but he was a good player, and until Jackson proves something, he was just a product of Dorsey. Jackson has a ton of physical ability, not like Mario, but he could easily play 3-4 DE, and he just might get drafted for that role.
Old 06-13-2008   #8
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18944 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Selvie is clearly at the top of the 4-3 list. He is a pure pass-rusher with a rangy build and an excellent first step. Think Freeny's first step with a Mario-lite body.
Essentially another Gaines Adams?
nero THE zero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008   #9
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3248 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

Remember to think pick number 32
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008   #10
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

English from Oklahoma. Was playing great last year before the injury.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008   #11
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sure there will be a few players that emerge from the college season next year that could become great pass rushers that we can look at.

I agree (with Pollo) that the draft isn't the only place to look. Waiver wires, free agents, and all of that jazz will make for interesting places to find players. Plus, Rick Smith seems to have an uncanny ability to find street FA's that can come in and play their role effectively (See: Maddox, Anthony and Demps, Will).

One thing, if Okoye turns into that pocket pusher that we need, we may be able to get by with just whoever on the otherside of Mario. A great DT can make sacks a lot easier for the ends.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008   #12
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Essentially another Gaines Adams?
No. I was never a fan of Adams. Selvie has a body that is ready now, but he isn't a Mario. Think the Giants DE Osi something.
Old 06-16-2008   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm thinking if my team is fairly solid except for DE and a very good prospect is available with a trade up in 09, I could see giving up a first and another pick for an anchor at a very important position. Was anyone else sweating as the LTs we were hoping for got picked? When you are down to the last tackle you think can be "the guy", a trade up might be an option. That would give you a starting DE for years opposite Mario and you can continue to strengthen team with other picks.

Yes, Smith can continue to maybe work magic with Colvin type FA, but we stopped doing that with LT and for the best I might say. A Selvie (if he has the type of 2008 many think) for our low first and a 3rd may be a good deal.
Old 06-16-2008   #14
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
As of now, and it's really too ealry to tell too much, but as of now, these are some guys to watch:

George Selvie, DE, South Florida
Greg Hardy, DE, Ole Miss
Greg Middleton, DE, Indiana
Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU (I already do not like him. I like him less initially than I did Dorsey)
Ian Campbell, DE, Kansas State (Booo!)
Ricky Sapp, DE, Clemson
Auston English, DE, Oklahoma
Maurice Evans, DE, Penn State

These are the guys I remember or have seen before. Johnson may not have the starting experience, but watch you for him. Selvie is clearly at the top of the 4-3 list. He is a pure pass-rusher with a rangy build and an excellent first step. Think Freeny's first step with a Mario-lite body. I didn't like Dorsey last year for how he was projected, but he was a good player, and until Jackson proves something, he was just a product of Dorsey. Jackson has a ton of physical ability, not like Mario, but he could easily play 3-4 DE, and he just might get drafted for that role.
I like Ricky Sapp & Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech they are lean pure pass rushers.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read