Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-14-2008   #81
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage want a chance to be a starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Why would you voluntarily play your second best QB for significant amounts of time?
Are we talking about Sage or Schaub???????????? You may not be interpretting the question the way some of us are...........however, despite the difference, we could very well come up with the same answer, couldn't we?
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008   #82
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
i just noticed this and had to comment because its plain wrong.. you really should watch other qb's play more.. we have two good qbs that are very capable of starting on alot of teams

imo schaub will be a franchise/top 10 qb if he can stay healthy. sage is similiar to schaub in that both are very smart and efficient but schaub adds a more vertical passing/big play element to the passing game... sage doesnt offer that as much imo and is more of a game manger (and a very good one at that- which you can win with- see the giants etc) sage would still be a good starter due to his smarts..

neither are 'backups' in their level of play
I think Schaub is eventually going to get injured again, and I think it's a repeat of last year. And then we're really going to see people vehemently demanding that we get a franchise QB from the draft or via trade--Not a project guy, not a "possible" starter, etc.

I am just guessing that, after this season, fans will stop begging for us to build our OL...and we're going to see a charge led for a 100% franchise-type, no-miss QB however we would be able to get one.

We're getting enough depth at other positions that we can afford to gamble on a high-profile QB.
Old 06-14-2008   #83
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Are we talking about Sage or Schaub???????????? You may not be interpretting the question the way some of us are...........however, despite the difference, we could very well come up with the same answer, couldn't we?
I was responding to the proposition put forth by FILO Girl that we split time between the QB's. In that response, I purposely didn't mention who I thought was better since it wasn't relevant to FG's point.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008   #84
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel bad for Sage because there are definitely NOT 32 quarterbacks in the league who are better than him. Problem is that he's stuck on a team with someone who is. That is, of course, my opinion.

While we all want competition at every position, uncertainty at QB (even if it is between two good players) can retard the growth and development of the offense. You want your first-team offense playing with your first-team QB as much as possible before the season. This is why Kubiak publicly proclaimed Schaub the starter: he wants it known that he expects Schaub to be the leader of the offense and, hopefully, the entire team. No public distractions, and everyone on the offense will have plenty of time to know how Matt runs the show.

That said, if Sage plays circles around Matt in training camp and the preseason, my guess is he will take the opening snap in Pittsburgh. But he's going to have to clearly show he is the better option; any doubt will be resolved in Matt's favor.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008   #85
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I think there are many things wrong with that. You can't just say they're equals because you want them to be ! One of them is the better QB! To say they're equal just sounds like someone who's been to way too many new-age parenting classes, and just doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Even if the people in charge of the decision ultimately think it's Sage, you play your best players!

Should we give Andre Davis more playing time in order to keep AJ hungry? Think the Pats ought to get Cassel in the game more to make sure Brady doesn't rest on his laurels?

One of these guys is better (Schaub), determine which one (Schaub), and then let whoever that is (Schaub) be your QB.
SING IT BROTHA!!!!!

wow... in today's era of "just try really really hard..." its refreshing to hear someone say they want the best man to win. Rep headed your way (I think its the second or 3rd time I've ever done it)

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008   #86
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Well my best guess is If Minnie- soooda offered up the second instead of a third all of this would be moot right now. 'Cause no matter how talented Sage is being projected by some on this thread, Rick Smith would of pulled the trigger on that deal quicker than Ced Benson can find trouble on a boat. One of the young guns on the roster comes 'round this season Color Sage *gone*.
Old 06-15-2008   #87
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I think Schaub is eventually going to get injured again, and I think it's a repeat of last year. And then we're really going to see people vehemently demanding that we get a franchise QB from the draft or via trade--Not a project guy, not a "possible" starter, etc.

I am just guessing that, after this season, fans will stop begging for us to build our OL...and we're going to see a charge led for a 100% franchise-type, no-miss QB however we would be able to get one.

We're getting enough depth at other positions that we can afford to gamble on a high-profile QB.

yeah its that easy.. needless to say, i disagree with you and will almost garuntee we wont be looking at qbs next year..

learn the lessons from mario and give schaub time to prove himself before you throw him out with the wash
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008   #88
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 165286 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

There is no such thing.
P.Manning didn't even make it past the Chargers
Brady failed in the Super Bowl
Roethelisberger? He got beat by last year's Jag backup.
Up until he won in the playoffs last season, Eli was on the "hot seat" in NY.

And, if this ficticious "no-miss QB" actually existed, how much would we give up to get him??
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008   #89
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Well my best guess is If Minnie- soooda offered up the second instead of a third all of this would be moot right now. 'Cause no matter how talented Sage is being projected by some on this thread, Rick Smith would of pulled the trigger on that deal quicker than Ced Benson can find trouble on a boat. One of the young guns on the roster comes 'round this season Color Sage *gone*.
Without a doubt, if one of the young'uns show something, then Sage won't be a Texan next year. IF we can get a player and a future draft pick.... Sage will be gone this year.

Doesn't mean that Schaub is the better QB.

What we've seen so far, is a system that both QBs can be productive in.

IMHO, I think Sage thinks better on his feet. When a play is broken, I'd much rather have Sage in the game, than Schaub.

Matt is Younger....... not by much really, but that along with what we gave up to get him, and what we are paying him, he's the man.

I've got nothing against Matt, & I'm hoping and routing for him to make big strides, and be the leader everyone talks about him being. But I wouldn't have given up two #2s & the boatload of Cash we gave him, when we had Sage.

But that's just me.
Old 06-15-2008   #90
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 65390 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
And, if this ficticious "no-miss QB" actually existed, how much would we give up to get him??
I'd give my left nut for one.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #91
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 165286 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I'd give my left nut for one.
LOL!
Now THAT'S taking one for the team!
Old 06-16-2008   #92
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
There is no such thing.
P.Manning didn't even make it past the Chargers
Brady failed in the Super Bowl
Roethelisberger? He got beat by last year's Jag backup.
Up until he won in the playoffs last season, Eli was on the "hot seat" in NY.

WHAT?!?!?

It doesn't exist? LOL. Whatever, dude.

I'll have a rebuttal in a second. I need to rest from laughing so hard.

Here's the short version:

Brady has won more Super Bowls than Schaub or Sage put together.

Same for Big Ben.

Same for Manning.

Heck, those Qbs have won more games and more playoff games than ours.

But "they don't exist." Riiiight.

Think a little bit on it.
Old 06-16-2008   #93
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post

yeah its that easy.. needless to say, i disagree with you and will almost garuntee we wont be looking at qbs next year..

learn the lessons from mario and give schaub time to prove himself before you throw him out with the wash
I saw all I needed to see, in Matt Schaub, last year.

I liked the first two games...and the rest after that was very telling. He got weaker and less effective with every game. And has nothing to do with the injuries. The injuries, to me, just COMPOUND the troubles he has.

And you disagreeing with me does not mean that you're right and I'm wrong.
Old 06-16-2008   #94
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I liked the first two games...and the rest after that was very telling. He got weaker and less effective with every game. And has nothing to do with the injuries. The injuries, to me, just COMPOUND the troubles he has.

No but you disagreeing with me means that you're wrong and i'm right.... j/k

I don't think we knew what we saw last year. I've said before, there was plenty to like and plenty to not like. This year we'll know a lot more. The way this team is shaping up, if Schaub was what we brought him in to be... we've got an outside shot at the playoffs. If he's not.... this could be a rough year.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #95
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272750 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well you are blatantly overlooking a pretty obvious factor--the loss of a top 5 in the league WR. Remind us when that happened?--oh yeah, end of game 2. Weaker and less effective huh?--oh look at the coincidence. AJ back and Schaub goes 21 of 33 for 294 yards 8.9 ypa 2 TD's 0 INT's and a QB rating of 112.3. The facts don't agree with your perception.
Old 06-16-2008   #96
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 65390 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I know the offseason is long but damn, doesn't anybody get tired of arguing about Schaub and Rosenfels?
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #97
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 207976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I know the offseason is long but damn, doesn't anybody get tired of arguing about Schaub and Rosenfels?
What else is there to do? LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #98
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

GP -

Let's assume that the Texans as an organization were 100% in agreement with you, and were convinced after last year that neither Schaub or Rosenfels were the answer. They hire you as GM, based on the concept of getting that can't miss QB. Given the ability to make trades, sign FA's and make draft selections, where would we be right now in terms of our 100% Franchise type no-miss QB?

And as long as we're revising history, let's say they brought you in prior to the Schaub trade (because you knew he wouldn't be the guy). Where would we be right now under that scenario?
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #99
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Well you are blatantly overlooking a pretty obvious factor--the loss of a top 5 in the league WR. Remind us when that happened?--oh yeah, end of game 2. Weaker and less effective huh?--oh look at the coincidence. AJ back and Schaub goes 21 of 33 for 294 yards 8.9 ypa 2 TD's 0 INT's and a QB rating of 112.3. The facts don't agree with your perception.
Do not under estimate the loss of a running game ........ Crap I mean never having an esisting running game.

GP, no it does not mean anyone is right disagreeing with someone, but when you insert facts into the equation it does mean your wrong.
Old 06-16-2008   #100
ObsiWan
Contributor

Quote:
WHAT?!?!?

It doesn't exist? LOL. Whatever, dude.

I'll have a rebuttal in a second. I need to rest from laughing so hard.

Here's the short version:

Brady has won more Super Bowls than Schaub or Sage put together.

Same for Big Ben.

Same for Manning.

Heck, those Qbs have won more games and more playoff games than ours.

But "they don't exist." Riiiight.

Think a little bit on it.
Look, my point is that all QBs owe their success to how well they mesh with the system they are in, the talent around them, and their work ethic. If any of those pieces are lacking, they won't succeed. Take anybody you want to mention and surround them with our 2005 team and they'd lose too.

Any of the guys you mentioned took their lumps until all the pieces fell into place. The exceptions were Big Ben and Brady who happened to step into situations where all the pieces were already there. All they had to do was not screw things up.

Anyone - ANYone - brought in to the Texans will have to learn the Kubiak/Shanahan offense and that will take time. So no one you bring in here will be "100% no-miss" right away.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 06-16-2008 at 12:04 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read