Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-12-2008   #1
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Sage wants a chance to be a starter.

Quote:
Sage Rosenfels' bio on the Houston Texans' Web site describes him as a "valuable backup quarterback with the ability to start in the NFL."

Those are nice words, but the former Iowa State quarterback from Maquoketa would like to see them read "valuable starter."

"I understand Matt's the starter," Rosenfels said last week in a telephone interview. "But I feel I'm in my prime."
Quote:
Then it's back to living the life of an NFL player, back to practice, back to being a backup.

"Last year made me want to play more and more," he said. "Now, I feel, I'm closer than I've ever been."

All he wants is a chance.
http://www.gazetteonline.com/apps/pb...ORTS/611759381
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #2
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage want a chance to be a starter.

As a QB on your team, you want him to have that kind of fire/desire. Being happy as a backup would be sad.

But..Sage has had opps and he ended up here. He won't be a distraction. We all wanna win.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #3
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, the only guy ever I can think of that talked about how he was looking forward to being a backup is... well, I think you know who that is.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #4
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

I think Sage would make for a serviceable starter. He did very well for us last year and Im glad he is still here. I dont feel we are in any way obligated to trade him so that he can be a starting QB. He signed the contract, he is ours. If (god forbid) Matt gets injured or gets in a terrible slump, Sage can step in and lead the offense with confidence. Otherwise he will be a backup. Sorry Sage, love you buddy but thats the way it is.
Old 06-12-2008   #5
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I'm sorry, but Sage is the better quarterback. Sage also tastes good on everything, including spicy foods.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Sage also tastes good on everything, including spicy foods.
If I'm not mistaken, Schaub is German for "I got your spicy right here, buddy!"
Old 06-12-2008   #7
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 21 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer

Nice find. The first time I ever considered Sage as a potential starter was when he threw for three TDs in place of a benched Carr (2006 game at Tennessee). And had it not been for Pac Man making it rain on Sage's parade, we would have been sitting at a managable 3-4 instead of a pitiful 2-5.

It makes you wonder what would have been if we would have kept Carr on the bench for the rest of the season.

Say word.
SOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-12-2008   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm shocked, shocked...that Sage isn't satisfied at being our number two for perpetuity.
Old 06-12-2008   #9
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Sage is the perfect fit as a backup QB. He wants to start, knows he has the ability to start, prepares to start, but won't be a poison in the locker room if he doesn't start. When he has the chance to play, his teammates trust him and the team won't fall apart when he's in there.

If the situation were reversed, Schaub would be the same way.

You have to like having a team full of competitors who still put the team first. Just like Salaam being upset that Duane Brown was working with the first team all through OTA's. Salaam felt it should have been him, but he still helped Brown learn the position even though it ultimately means that Brown takes his job.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been pegged as a Sage apologist, and I haven't posted on this in probably two or three months.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about WHICH guy is better/best...I think you have to be honest with yourself and at least prepare yourself for the big hit that Schaub is probably going to take (at some point), and then what do you think is going to happen?

Sage is going to run the offense. And technically, he'll probably start a game or two in Matt's absence. But with the shoulder injury Matt had...and the types of defenses we face in Indy-Jax-Tenn (twice for each team), not to mention the Steelers and the Ravens, I just think Sage is going to find himself on the field at some point.

So there's no need for him to get anxious about "if" he'll be starter; it's more of a "when" situation. Yet I bet he'd like to go into a season with the tag of being named the starter (which is proably what he's referrig to). I have ZERO faith that Schaub can last the season. It's not a deal of me being a hater. It's a deal of probabilities. And, to the credit of a lot of posters here: Sage HAS had his chances and he's a hit or miss guy. I won't argue it.
Old 06-12-2008   #11
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I'm shocked, shocked...that Sage isn't satisfied at being our number two for perpetuity.
wth? Who would? If they knew they had the ability to be a capable starter in the league, and shown it the past season, of course they wouldn't be satisfy going back to being #2 the next season. Not to mention there's teams out there that wanted him and is in need of a starting QB. Like the article said, he feels like he's entering his prime and he still stuck as #2 QB to his team. I don't know about youl guys but I feel bad for him, but then again its only for one more season.
Old 06-12-2008   #12
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 132729 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
I'm sorry, but Sage is the better quarterback. Sage also tastes good on everything, including spicy foods.
Have you tried Schaub on anything? If not, how can you compare? If so, we really don't want to know the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #13
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

god, how many more days until training camp?
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #14
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
wth? Who would? If they knew they had the ability to be a capable starter in the league, and shown it the past season, of course they wouldn't be satisfy going back to being #2 the next season. Not to mention there's teams out there that wanted him and is in need of a starting QB. Like the article said, he feels like he's entering his prime and he still stuck as #2 QB to his team. I don't know about youl guys but I feel bad for him, but then again its only for one more season.
TTP I think you need to use this.....

I'm glad he has the competitive fire and I'm glad this wasn't in the light of "I want to start, trade me now".

Sage can run this offense well, I think he proved this, but I think he makes too many mistakes and that Schaub's ceiling is higher.
Old 06-12-2008   #15
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
TTP I think you need to use this.....

I'm glad he has the competitive fire and I'm glad this wasn't in the light of "I want to start, trade me now".

Sage can run this offense well, I think he proved this, but I think he makes too many mistakes and that Schaub's ceiling is higher.
Well of course he was kidding. Any person with a ounce of humor would've know he was jking. I was just putting down how I felt about the situation.
Old 06-12-2008   #16
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93773 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLIS View Post
Nice find. The first time I ever considered Sage as a potential starter was when he threw for three TDs in place of a benched Carr (2006 game at Tennessee). And had it not been for Pac Man making it rain on Sage's parade, we would have been sitting at a managable 3-4 instead of a pitiful 2-5.

It makes you wonder what would have been if we would have kept Carr on the bench for the rest of the season.
Do you remember how we got so far behind in that game?

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #17
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98311 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLIS View Post
Matters on who we signed as the #3 QB........Sage Rosenfels broke his hand and was done for the year.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #18
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
I don't know about youl guys but I feel bad for him, but then again its only for one more season.
No, it's for two more seasons. Sage is signed through the 2009 season.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008   #19
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Do you remember how we got so far behind in that game?

Mike
Nope those kind of facts are glossed over.

I'm not surprised one bit he wants and feels like he should be a starter. He has to lament his chances in D.C. and Miami. He could very well be the next Rich Gannon but I see more the next A.J. Feeley.

http://www.nfl.com/players/a.j.feele...e?id=FEE447935
http://www.nfl.com/players/sagerosen...e?id=ROS396938

I think he'd do well to enjoy another year under Kubiak and hopefully push his game to where he can make more then a game manager type QB.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008   #20
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93773 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Nope those kind of facts are glossed over.

I'm not surprised one bit he wants and feels like he should be a starter. He has to lament his chances in D.C. and Miami. He could very well be the next Rich Gannon but I see more the next A.J. Feeley.

http://www.nfl.com/players/a.j.feele...e?id=FEE447935
http://www.nfl.com/players/sagerosen...e?id=ROS396938

I think he'd do well to enjoy another year under Kubiak and hopefully push his game to where he can make more then a game manager type QB.
S. Rosenfels 22/35 290 4 3

Seems to me if he hadn't thrown ain INT per quarter for the first 3 1/2 quarters, we wouldn't have needed amazing 1/8th of a game from him. Oh but we'll always remember it as the comeback that almost was. I think I remember him having a fumble or two as well.

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read