Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-11-2008   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default DeMeco Chat

If you want to check out the DeMeco chat from the Chron, here it is:

DeMeco Chat

A couple of interesting things in there. Here's what jumped out at me:

Quote:
DeMeco_Ryans: Our running game is looking a lot better. You can tell by the changes Coach Gibbs has made to our running game. All of our guys are picking it up well. Chris Brown is looking the best. You can tell he is more familiar with the scheme.
. . .
Shake: From the defensive side of the ball, what specific improvements do you see in the O-line this offseason?

DeMeco_Ryans: Their techniques have been revamped. They're doing a lot more zone-blocking which will allow them to cut defensive linemen more. There are a lot faster off the ball. They do a great job of faking the run blocking when it's a pass.
I think that what I've bolded is the biggest change we will see with the offense. When I heard Kyle Shanahan speak on this subject when he first was with the team, he talked a lot about this. When he was with the Bucs, he actually tried to get Jon Gruden to change some of the offensive line blocking to make it harder to guess run versus pass.

He talked a lot about how defenses start guessing run because the blocking *feels* the same and then they get surprised by the pass and are out of position.
Old 06-11-2008   #2
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: DeMeco Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
If you want to check out the DeMeco chat from the Chron, here it is:

DeMeco Chat

A couple of interesting things in there. Here's what jumped out at me:

I think that what I've bolded is the biggest change we will see with the offense. When I heard Kyle Shanahan speak on this subject when he first was with the team, he talked a lot about this. When he was with the Bucs, he actually tried to get Jon Gruden to change some of the offensive line blocking to make it harder to guess run versus pass.

He talked a lot about how defenses start guessing run because the blocking *feels* the same and then they get surprised by the pass and are out of position.
Heh. Right after the chat I went straight to my site and posted about the very same line RE: the pass/run blocking.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #3
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Heh. Right after the chat I went straight to my site and posted about the very same line RE: the pass/run blocking.

lol.

It helps that Shake asked the question. Most of the questions were foof.
Old 06-11-2008   #4
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, very much so. I asked a question about the whole perceived lack of nastiness on the Texans defense, but he didn't answer/moderator didn't forward it to him.

But as to the subject of your original post - I love that DeMeco singled out that fact about disguising their blocks. Shake's question didn't call for him to specifically reference how well they were doing that, so for a pro-bowl MLB talent like DeMeco to mention that specific detail unsolicited really makes me think Gibbs is making big early strides. He could have easily said "yeah, they look great, much better than last year, blah blah blah" but that clearly is something that has impressed him.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 06-11-2008   #5
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

I just hope it works and gives the QB a little more time to do his reads and go to the right man.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #6
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80044 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the link TC . Good stuff !

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #7
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

chris brown to the probowl??

new FF late rd sleeper to take perhaps?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-11-2008   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
chris brown to the probowl??

new FF late rd sleeper to take perhaps?
I think Anna Megan might have had a typo, and DeMeco meant Kris Brown.
Old 06-11-2008   #9
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I think Anna Megan might have had a typo, and DeMeco meant Kris Brown.
touche...

but demeco did mention chris brown looks really good running the zone so far.. hard to say though
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
touche...

but demeco did mention chris brown looks really good running the zone so far.. hard to say though
It's not surprising that Chris Brown looks good in practice. It's mostly his injury history that people worry about with him.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #11
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

hearing about these kind of things in the offseason gets me pumped, chris brown was a beast at colorado in this system. i hope he can stay healthy, if not, we have depth at rb.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #12
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have been saying since we signed Brown that I expect him to start game one.... maybe I'm not always full of it...

Love that Baby Shanahan is making some changes and putting his imprint on things as well. Takes some guts to suggest/make changes with people like Gruden and Gibbs around. More power to him.
Old 06-12-2008   #13
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Personally, I don't read anything at all into the whole 'Chris Brown is looking better than all the RBs thing' for two reasons. 1 - he's got the most experience with the ZBS, and naturally would be more comfortable at this early stage. 2 - not to be a pessimist... but - no pads, no contact. I actually liked the Brown signing, but let's revisit who looks best at the end of training camp when both he and Green have taken some shots to the knees.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 06-12-2008   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sweet! Only 87 days 2 hours and 17...scratch that.. 16 minutes till kickoff!
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #15
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm happy with the Chris Brown signing and if he's not starting day 1, he'll probably get a shot at some point in the season. Probably game 4 when Ahman Green is doubtful with swelling in his knee.
Old 06-12-2008   #16
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
DeMeco_Ryans: Our running game is looking a lot better. You can tell by the changes Coach Gibbs has made to our running game. All of our guys are picking it up well. Chris Brown is looking the best. You can tell he is more familiar with the scheme.
I think Chris Brown will be our leading rusher. I liked him with the pre-Vince Young Titans.

Quote:
DeMeco_Ryans: The Pro Bowl was a great experience. I look forward to going again but not alone. I'm looking forward to seeing Mario Andre Johnson, Chris Brown, Matt Schaubu, Dunta Robinson and Amobi Okoye and more go to Hawaii with me.
Pro Bowl, though? I think he meant Kris Brown.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #17
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
I just hope it works and gives the QB a little more time to do his reads and go to the right man.
Most of the ZBS when incorporated into the passing game (I read, they call it Zone Locking) involve shorter routes. The nature of the scheme lends itself well and it helps if you have a QB that can make a quick read, and has a quick release (MS is better than Sage in this regard.)

The danger is in the drop back pass as I've given this a fair amount of thoughts. I don't know if I can elaborate it well enough, but i will try:

1. I would assume that the flow of the O-linemen more often will be to the weak side (the left), so that our TE on the strong side (the opposite side) can pick up the LDE. If we have the FB in there, he could help, or he could take on any extra defender close to the LOS on the strong side.

2. If the flow of the rampagin elephants (as Pitts referred the Olinemen in the Zone Locking scheme) is to the strong side (the right), the RDE was automatically optioned (left open) as our LT takes on the RDT.
We can have the FB faking a counter play and take on the RDE, a difficult task.
Otherwise, the QB has to be very mobile and quick in his drop.
He should be prepare to get rid of the ball when necessary, and get ready to land on his behind. Because the RDE trailing the play would see it developed.

3. Even assuming that most of the defenders bite on the fake, there's always the chance that an extra defender close to the LOS can see it and wouldn't go for the fake (besides the fact that one of the DE most likely won't).

4. Sometimes the defense dictates itself. The more defenders they have crouching the LOS, the more difficult to try the drop pass with a run fake.

5. It's also more difficult on third and long, when the defense decide to blitz.

Exhibits: Texans/Broncos game: Mario sacked Cutler, I don't know if you want your QB on his back too often like that.
Texans/Titans game: Finnegan sacked MS, causing the knee injury.
Both were on 1st and 10.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Most of the ZBS when incorporated into the passing game (I read, they call it Zone Locking) involve shorter routes. The nature of the scheme lends itself well and it helps if you have a QB that can make a quick read, and has a quick release (MS is better than Sage in this regard.)

The danger is in the drop back pass as I've given this a fair amount of thoughts. I don't know if I can elaborate it well enough, but i will try:

1. I would assume that the flow of the O-linemen more often will be to the weak side (the left), so that our TE on the strong side (the opposite side) can pick up the LDE. If we have the FB in there, he could help, or he could take on any extra defender close to the LOS on the strong side.

2. If the flow of the rampagin elephants (as Pitts referred the Olinemen in the Zone Locking scheme) is to the strong side (the right), the RDE was automatically optioned (left open) as our LT takes on the RDT.
We can have the FB faking a counter play and take on the RDE, a difficult task.
Otherwise, the QB has to be very mobile and quick in his drop.
He should be prepare to get rid of the ball when necessary, and get ready to land on his behind. Because the RDE trailing the play would see it developed.

3. Even assuming that most of the defenders bite on the fake, there's always the chance that an extra defender close to the LOS can see it and wouldn't go for the fake (besides the fact that one of the DE most likely won't).

4. Sometimes the defense dictates itself. The more defenders they have crouching the LOS, the more difficult to try the drop pass with a run fake.

5. It's also more difficult on third and long, when the defense decide to blitz.

Exhibits: Texans/Broncos game: Mario sacked Cutler, I don't know if you want your QB on his back too often like that.
Texans/Titans game: Finnegan sacked MS, causing the knee injury.
Both were on 1st and 10.
If the defense is crowding the line or the "box" would not the QB audible to another play?
Old 06-12-2008   #19
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
-Most of the time the QB will be faking the run one way and then rolling out to the other.

-If they are run faking to the right everyone will be initially stepping to the right.

-If the TE stays in to block instead of going out on a route he'll probably be helping out with the DE rather than being responsible for him.

In this scheme you really can't say who is responsible for who because defenders are not simulated beings. They move and in the ZBS you don't really chase defenders. If a D-lineman stunts or slants or the defense does some kind of blitz, the linemen's steps and technique should allow the puzzle pieces to fall in place.

It's kinda hard to explain, but not really....
Old 06-12-2008   #20
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If the defense is crowding the line or the "box" would not the QB audible to another play?
Exactly, and there goes the fake!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read