Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-09-2008   #1
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Just re-watched the Miami vs. Texans Game

From Oct. 7, 2007. On my DVR from NFL Network Replay.

Re-impressions:

I will just gloss right over the TJ/Trent Green show.

1. Kris Brown is the MAN! He made 2 - 54 yard FG's and a 57 yarder. I had forgotten what a great performance it was. He made history that game and joined two other kickers in NFL history to have 3 FG's over 50 yards in a single game, if I recall the stat correctly.

2. Schaub and the passing offense looked good. Nice throws, a couple off target, but moved the ball, I noticed some good zip on the ball. Walter was solid, as was Daniels. We challenged their secondary a few times, of course that was a weak spot for the fins but I really like to see us use the vertical passing game.

I feel real good about this getting better this year, Schaub will hopefully be more comfortable back there with more experience, should see some marked improvement. Plus a healthy AJ.

3. Salaam and Pitts both gave up sacks to Jason Taylor....I noticed Salaam got beat a few times and Matt had to unload the ball really quick.

I feel OK about this getting better with better depth at OL, plus an improved running game and Alex Gibbs coaching up the OL, the opposing D can not pin their ears back.

4. The running game was a pathetic joke. I hope Green/Brown/Slaton + Gibbs makes a huge difference this year.

I feel good about this getting much better this year.

5. The run D was a bigger joke, gaping holes, Ronnie Brown pounding it right up the gut.

I am very concerned about this. I know we brought in Okam, but he's still a rook. Hopefully an improved Amobi will help. Demeco really needs some help at LB as we all know. I really just don't know if enough has been done to make this better this year, I see this potentially the biggest weak spot coming up this year.

6. Secondary, looked very average, even against Lemon and with DROB still in action. Bennet looked good. And hey, CC Brown got a pick.

I hope Molden comes on fast and Ray Rhodes has a nice impact. While this unit has struggled and been a glaring weak spot we are getting better, and have a lot more potential than last year.

All in all, I feel pretty good about the offense being able to make big strides this year. Wish I could say the same for the D. While I believe we will have a much improved pass rush with MW, Amobi, and with some of the LB's that we have now that are supposed to be good at pass rushing. A good pass rush will certainly take the pressure off of the CB's. Maybe a healthy Weaver will have an impact. Maybe Okam will hit the ground running or should I say run-stopping. The D just needs to better all the way around, LOTS of room for improvement, I hope the offseason acquisitions really make an impact, we need them to.

Last edited by Hardcore Texan; 06-09-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Hardcore Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just re-watched the Miami vs. Texans Game

While agree with your assesment and observing how the D played pretty bad in that Dolphin game, I have to say that if you were to assess the team from a previous year, I would base it more on the second half of the season. That is when we got the majority of our starters back, and our defense was playing pretty tough. Guys like Will Demps came on and made an impact and Mario woke up around week 11 when we played the Saints.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #3
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
While agree with your assesment and observing how the D played pretty bad in that Dolphin game, I have to say that if you were to assess the team from a previous year, I would base it more on the second half of the season. That is when we got the majority of our starters back, and our defense was playing pretty tough. Guys like Will Demps came on and made an impact and Mario woke up around week 11 when we played the Saints.
Do you remember last season how we were talking about how the Texans had a top 10 defense after game 5 or 6 last season? Yeah, that really didn't carry over either. Last season was last season, and I think this year we are still looking at problems stopping the run (especially on the outside) until we get a linebacking corps who can make more tackles for loss.

I'm hoping Mario carries over from what he did at the end of last season, and I think that could be true. On the whole though, I don't see enough changes to personnel to think that the defense is going to go from one of the worst at stopping the run, to mediocre or even good.

PROVE ME WRONG TEXANS DEFENSE>
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #4
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Yeah, I realize I am only looking at one game specifically but I am still worried about it a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Do you remember last season how we were talking about how the Texans had a top 10 defense after game 5 or 6 last season? Yeah, that really didn't carry over either. Last season was last season, and I think this year we are still looking at problems stopping the run (especially on the outside) until we get a linebacking corps who can make more tackles for loss.

I'm hoping Mario carries over from what he did at the end of last season, and I think that could be true. On the whole though, I don't see enough changes to personnel to think that the defense is going to go from one of the worst at stopping the run, to mediocre or even good.

PROVE ME WRONG TEXANS DEFENSE>
This is more along the lines how I feel. I want us to do good but what will have to happen for us to become a much better defense? Let's look at best case scenario.

1. Richard Smith is really a great DC and we are going to see marked improvement because the D will not have to be so vanilla this year do to injury. The entire D plays like a cohesive unit with passion and fire, taking to Smith's philosphy and translating it to 3 and outs.

2. The Ray Rhodes hire pays huge dividends and the secondary plays very well. Bennet makes a leap, Reeves fits the scheme and plays great. Molden comes on like Bennet did. And eventually we get DROB back healthy and his old self. Demps continues to show why he was Pro Bowl alternate. All the injured safetys make it back.

3. Anthony Weaver is not injured this year and it SHOWS in his play. Okam has a great impact as a rookie. Mario keeps dominating like he did at the last half of the season. Amobi makes a huge leap. Guys like Jesse Nading make a big impact out of nowwhere.

4. The linebackers we added show up huge. I know a couple of speciality pass rush guys, but let's say Bentley, Thompson, Adibi all play very well against the pass and the run. Maybe Moffit makes the team and turns out to be solid depth. Diles keeps developing and makes a leap.

If all of these things could happen, with minimal injuries how good would our defense be then. Top 10-12 range maybe? That's the best case scenario I can think. I am not trying to be debbie downer here, I want us to come out and dominate. Just trying to take my homer glasses off for a minute, be as realistic as possible and reign in the optimism that I have been having.
Old 06-09-2008   #5
Polo

I think the Texans biggest struggles have been with consistency...

Seen lots of flashes and ability, but getting players to perform as a unit game in and game out a that high a level is tough...All the players need to step up to complete this task...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read