Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-08-2008   #61
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans nearing decision on Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange View Post
Spencer is not eligible for the practice squad since he already has two years in the NFL.
He is because he hasn't been activated for enough games to be ineligible. The Texans wanted to move Joppru to the PS when they cut him, but he move to the Bears PS instead. He had more years than Spencer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
An overstatement possibly before, but this also sounds like you are trying to let this one down as easy as possible on the other end.

If I understand what you are saying, not so. I held and posted the same opinion before Spencer played his first regular season game. Lots of teams passed on him for one reason or another during the draft. He could have been a diamond in the rough, or not. I wanted to see it to believe it at that critical position.

Then again, I'm admittedly biased about many things Texans so take my opinion for what it is worth - the paper it is written on.
Old 06-08-2008   #62
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

If he's truly healed then he should be pushed at T/C.
If he's "healed" but won't really ever be as strong as before, then perhaps we should settle with him and let him find another team to play with.

The question in my mind is, if he's not 100% of what he was - or what we thought he was: Is 80-90% of the Spencer we remember better than 100% of the other young guys, Butler/Frye/Eslinger/Fenton/Stevenson/White/etc.

I like Spencer and I hope he makes it back but not at the expense of the team's overall strength
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #63
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

bah..i cant stand people that get on Ron Dayne for Spencer's injury.

The next time you accidentally run over a squirrel I hope you get arrested and sent to prison for a couple years for animal cruelty.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #64
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
He is because he hasn't been activated for enough games to be ineligible. The Texans wanted to move Joppru to the PS when they cut him, but he move to the Bears PS instead. He had more years than Spencer.
You're right, the Bears did have Joppru on their practice squad until the Seahawks signed him. I guess years of service are counted different ways for different purposes. At least I hope time on the IR does count towards eligibility for the NFL pension, otherwise injured players really get screwed.

That's good news that Spencer could be put on the practice squad if he isn't able to make the final roster. Even when (or if) Spencer is cleared to play, he will probably be a little rusty and may need some extra time before he can contribute. I would hate to lose him because he did show a lot of potential in the short time he was able to play.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #65
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post

The next time you accidentally run over a squirrel I hope you get arrested and sent to prison for a couple years for animal cruelty.

Whew!

Guess I get a walk on the possums, coons and skunks. Lots of them critters out here in the boondocks where I live.

I swear...I didn't run over that squirrel.

Old 06-09-2008   #66
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

A better analogy would be: the next time you accidentally run over a dog with your Hummer2, it's going to further effect my opinion of you- which already wasn't very high.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #67
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
but doesn't pushing him at TC possibly seal his fate as well?
Man, you fat guys really stick together!!

First, I can't imagine what would still be in the process of healing after 22 months. If he's struggling due to condition, that's not going to change with another year away from football. If he is having problems with his knee and/or leg still, it's not going away. So, if he can't participate in football activities this year (at least training camp and practice squad), I think it's almost assured that his career is done.
Old 06-09-2008   #68
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange View Post
Spencer is not eligible for the practice squad since he already has two years in the NFL.

He's done then... Unless something very surprising happens in the next 2 months. If he makes the 80 man roster, he'd better drop 20 lbs before training camp to give himself a shot.
Old 06-09-2008   #69
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Man, you fat guys really stick together!!

First, I can't imagine what would still be in the process of healing after 22 months. If he's struggling due to condition, that's not going to change with another year away from football. If he is having problems with his knee and/or leg still, it's not going away. So, if he can't participate in football activities this year (at least training camp and practice squad), I think it's almost assured that his career is done.
but i think that the issue is time and roster spots more than anything else. i agree that any injury should be fully healed by now. so i doubt that is a factor specifically. i think it's weather or not he is worth a roster spot in TC due to the uncertainty of his situation

. I think it's hard to answer that question because he's only been active for four weeks. (mini camp plus OTA's). for whatever reason he wasn't in a position to participate with the team during the course of that time. (i'm still not clear on if it was an issue of his injury, his "football shape" or his mind.)

i think what the organization is struggling with is "do we cut this guy or do we hope he can come around during TC?" but they've made it clear that they are very unsure. it seems unlikely that they would keep someone that they are unsure about. except that Spencer has alot of potential theoretically. and how do you weigh his theoretical potential against someone that is physically 100% but has talent unknowns?

needless to say, it's a tough decision. i think that's why the intend to "push him" on monday or tuesday and somehow magically they will have all the info they need to make the right decision.

by the way, i did realize i was fat about a month ago. i broke 180 for the first time in my life. i'm proud to say i'm back down around 177 now. phwew. but god i love pizza. so very much....
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #70
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

ty. The whole dayne-hate is patethic imo.
Old 06-09-2008   #71
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Haven't you guys seen the commercial? Those little critters run right out there on purpose. I ain't takin' it.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #72
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

driving over a squirrel that darts in front of you while you're doing 30 mph is a bit different than running up the back of a 330 guy who's trying to help you and was there - in front of you - the whole time.
Old 06-09-2008   #73
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
ty. The whole dayne-hate is patethic imo.
Personally, I don't hate Dayne. I hate the whole chain of events. Damned fates conspired against us.
Old 06-09-2008   #74
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, thet should let him loose today and tomorrow to see where he's at. If he can handle it, they should give him a shot with a very short leash. If he can't, let him go quickly and move on.

Old 06-09-2008   #75
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
driving over a squirrel that darts in front of you while you're doing 30 mph is a bit different than running up the back of a 330 guy who's trying to help you and was there - in front of you - the whole time.
I haven't played football since middle school, but I remember one of the first lessons I was taught at fullback was to run over anyone who was in front of me, even if it was one of my own guys. Coach said that if my blockers weren't getting enough push to make a lane for me, maybe getting run over by their own player would be enough motivation to do it next time.

I don't see how the blame lays on Dayne for that one.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #76
Lucky

Rep Power: 208260 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Coach said that if my blockers weren't getting enough push to make a lane for me, maybe getting run over by their own player would be enough motivation to do it next time.
I'm not busting on Dayne, but it was a draw play, or delayed handoff, that Spencer was injured on. Spencer wasn't supposed to get a push. His job was to allow the DE to come upfield, then seal him off. Which Spencer pretty much did. It was a freak injury that is blameless.
Old 06-09-2008   #77
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
If Charles Spencer even makes it to training camp the Texans will be talking about what a great effort he put forth to get back to where he is and what a shame it is that his career was ended so early. They'll wish him the best and that'll be it.
yep, I agree. Stick a fork in him, because he's done.

It's a bummer, but that's the life of a pro football player. It's a tough sport, and there is no room for the weak and injured.
Old 06-09-2008   #78
Lucky

Rep Power: 208260 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Post OTA quotes from Rick Smith on Spencer

Quote:
(on what the team will do with T/G Charles Spencer) “Well, we don’t know. We’ve got a lot of conversations to have between now and training camp. His rehab process has gone slow, and we had hoped that it would have been a little bit better at this point and so from a lot of standpoints, that’s a little disappointing. But we’re going to continue to be patient with Charles and give him every opportunity that we can to make it back.”

(on how hard it is when they like a player like Spencer to take emotion out of a roster decision) “Well, and that’s it: You’d like to say it’s business, but I don’t think you ever make a purely business decision. And so you see a kid working hard the way he has worked and you want to give him every opportunity, but like you said, at some point we’ve got 80 guys who’ll go to training camp and we can’t afford to have a bunch of guys standing around because we’ve already got one in Dunta (Robinson) that’s going to count, so we’re down to 79 and you can’t have very many guys that are counting that won’t practice. So it’s tough.”
Kubiak on Spencer
Quote:
on doing anything with T/G Charles Spencer) “No. We are still going to take our time with that. As I told you before, I would have loved to have done some things on the field to make me feel better about our verdict, I should say. But it is what it is. It. The kid’s not there yet, not ready to get his feet turned loose with these guys. We’ve got six weeks here, a little less than six weeks. We’ll keep pushing him and see where he’s at.”
So it seems that Spencer has until the start of camp, or until the Texans need the roster spot, to show he's ready for two-a-days and contact.
Old 06-09-2008   #79
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I haven't played football since middle school, but I remember one of the first lessons I was taught at fullback was to run over anyone who was in front of me, even if it was one of my own guys. Coach said that if my blockers weren't getting enough push to make a lane for me, maybe getting run over by their own player would be enough motivation to do it next time.

I don't see how the blame lays on Dayne for that one.
Now I don't feel so bad about my center getting all ticked off because I supposedly kept "spearing" him, lol. In his defense, though, he got speared because he always got a further push upfield than any other linemen, but there was no hole at all--EVER. I just plowed the lane and plowed right into whatever was in the way at the back of it. Then we'd run a sweep, and instead of running all the way to the sideline, I'd run outside of the tackle and then turn upfield and plow right into whatever defender was in my way (I had a lot to learn, lol).

What I don't remember doing is falling on the back of any lineman's knee. I was too busy sticking my helmet in their backs.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #80
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

If you check out the video of Kubiak on the home website, it sounds like they believe he's done.

Kubiak talked about a conversation he had with Charles, how difficult the situation is, but assuring Charles that God has a plan for him.

That seems pretty clear to me. Dang it! This just sucks! First, for Charles Spencer and also for the team. I really hate injuries. That's the most frustrating thing about the NFL, IMO.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read