Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-08-2008   #41
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans nearing decision on Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Given the turn of events, really, Ron Dayne should have earned the nick Big Nasty
It's not a turn of events, though. This is what I think most people expected. They kept telling us how he was only on the sidelines running, and now the most he's done is fire off the line with some other offensive lineman - and from the video I saw, he was far and away the slowest one off the line.

I kept talking about how he was too big and not quick enough to make this team as a guard in the ZBS, but people told me I was wrong about that. It still might be wrong, but it sure looks like they're about to cut him loose. At this point, it's been almost two years, so I don't see the harm in sticking with the 'project', but with all that talk from Kubiak about having to only take 80 players to camp, it sure sounds like there's a decision coming soon.

I mean, there are going to be a LOT of guys in that final 80 who Kubiak KNOWS isn't going to make the team - so why not just cut that guy now and see if Spencer can make any progress at camp, then if he doesn't - PUP him again... then when his PUP time is over and he still isn't ready - THAT'S when you do an injury settlement and cut him loose.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #42
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
barrett, the practice squads are allowed a maximum of 8 players.
thank you.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #43
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1965 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm really pulling for him, but I won 't be shocked if he doesn't make it back. It's then Bennie Joppru feeling I'm getting that won't allow me to get too excited.
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #44
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

so if he's IR'd does that count against any part of our roster? it doesn't does it? as far as i'm concerned with as much depth as we would appear to have on the OL i'd be perfectly fine with IRing him again for a whole other year. what's the harm? he's young. even if he comes back as depth but can play well for 10 years or hell even 5 then it is worth the wait. i'd rather see us keep someone with potential and drag it along just in case. so long as it's not hurting us by taking up a roster spot from someone who is healthy that may be a project as well.
Old 06-08-2008   #45
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I mean, there are going to be a LOT of guys in that final 80 who Kubiak KNOWS isn't going to make the team - so why not just cut that guy now and see if Spencer can make any progress at camp...
Because you have to have guys on the practice field who can take reps. With the NFL Europe exemptions, teams could have some guys standing around and not participating. But, they're gone. Plus, there are guys who get nicked up in camp that can't play. Kubiak can't afford to cut a healthy Scott Jackson or Dan Stevenson prior to camp, while keeping a guy who can't take reps and may not be ready to go in 2008.

And maybe Kubiak "KNOWS" that Spencer is one of those guys who isn't going to make this team.

As far as placing Spencer on IR, they've already carried him for 2 seasons. If he fully rehabs and gets back into shape, the Texans could re-sign him in the '09 offseason. Though I doubt he's a good fit for what they're trying to do on the o-line, now.
Old 06-08-2008   #46
barrett
Hall of Fame

i understand that he's been IR'd for two years but i'm saying what's the harm in another year? honestly with his potential (based soley on what kubiak has said about his ability in the past i'm assuming he is someone that the coaching staff would want on their roster or else they wouldn't be rehabing him i'm guessing.) why not one more season and see if he comes out on the positive side. it'd be a shame but what's the harm?
Old 06-08-2008   #47
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
honestly with his potential (based soley on what kubiak has said about his ability in the past...
The question is, does Spencer carry the same amount of potential post- injury? Pre-injury, he was a potential starting LT in the NFL. Post-injury, he may be a bad fit as a ZBS Guard. Really, we're not talking about the same player. And frankly, it doesn't seem as if Spencer has been in the best shape possible during the rehab process.

I don't know what the difference between an injury settlement and a full year's salary would be. I doubt that would be enough to become a determining factor in the decision. I think it boils down to whether the Texans see Spencer as someone who can contribute in the future.
Old 06-08-2008   #48
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

...and we already know the answer to that question. They've said he will always have at least some kind of a limp, and either Kubiak or Spencer has already said there's no way he can be expected to play at the same level he did pre-injury. It's always just been a matter of time, IMO.

I just think the braintrust thought it was worth the longshot that he could recover in time to contribute this season. And hey - it IS worth the chance, because if it miraculously worked out - what a reward it would be. But if you're talking about keeping 10 O-lineman on the active roster - or even 11 - there's no room on there for Spencer unless he somehow gets to whatever his post-injury version of 100% is... and who knows if that will be good, strong, quick, and fast enough for the ZBS under a hardass like Gibbs.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #49
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The question is, does Spencer carry the same amount of potential post- injury? Pre-injury, he was a potential starting LT in the NFL.
He was a starting LT, he had the potential to be a franchise LT. With that kind of potential why not keep him for TC and IR him again if need be. If or when he comes back he could back up Winston until Salaam retires and then move over and back up Duane. His potential may still be there, that's all I'm saying.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #50
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
He was a starting LT, he had the potential to be a franchise LT...His potential may still be there, that's all I'm saying.
We really don't how good Spencer would or could have been. Franchise LT seems to be overstating a bit. Now, we're talking about a player who hasn't had contact in almost 2 years, and the date he will get medical clearance for contact is unknown. And to keep a player on IR for 3 seasons, when his potential on the team is to be a backup tackle, doesn't seem justified.
Old 06-08-2008   #51
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He was a starting LT, he had the potential to be a franchise LT.
Yes, he started a couple of games. Many fans had him going to the pro bowl after a couple of good pre-season performances against mostly second stringers. I guess every untested player has potential to be a franchise player, but in reality he was no more than a rookie starting at LT who had his moments, both good and bad. The play he got hurt on was an example of one of his weaknesses. He didn't move when the ball was snapped; that's why he was pushed back into the backfield. Sometimes he was very slow off the line.

I feel bad for Spencer; I've heard he's a decent guy. Lots of decent guys get cut though.

Quote:
With that kind of potential why not keep him for TC and IR him again if need be. If or when he comes back he could back up Winston until Salaam retires and then move over and back up Duane. His potential may still be there, that's all I'm saying.
Using a roster spot on him would make him an expensive long shot. The Texans may have learned a lesson with carrying Mathis for so long. He even has proven performance, but injuries were to be a factor with him.
Old 06-08-2008   #52
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I think Spencer is gone, it's just a question of how they do it. It's a sad story.
Old 06-08-2008   #53
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

It isn't as if Dayne was intending to hurt Spencer. But, it's a damn shame, not only for Spencer, but for the amount of money the team has expended trying to rehab him, to say nothing of paying his salary. Ouch! If his frame no longer fits our offensive line's image, that's one thing, but if another team picks him up and he plays this year, that's gonna be tough to take.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #54
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope he is on a roster, whether it is on the IR or not. 3 years of service is what it takes to become eligible for the players retirement benefits. It was one of the reasons Buffalo held up settling with Kevin Everett, by waiting until the season was over he qualified for full retirement benefits and that will help Spencer with his post playing medical issues.

Spencer has done everything he can, and he may still make it back to a playing field, but as a Texans is looking less likely.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #55
barrett
Hall of Fame

i'm suggesting we IR him now. that way he doesn't take up a roster spot especially not going into TC when we've got all these unproven guys that are healthy. I don't want to keep him for another year on IR if he's gonna take up a roster spot during TC. I'm saying if we IR him now we can continue the "experiment" one more year. what's the harm in that? other than we're left to discuss his potential for another whole year.
Old 06-08-2008   #56
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Yes, he started a couple of games. Many fans had him going to the pro bowl after a couple of good pre-season performances against mostly second stringers. I guess every untested player has potential to be a franchise player, but in reality he was no more than a rookie starting at LT who had his moments, both good and bad. The play he got hurt on was an example of one of his weaknesses. He didn't move when the ball was snapped; that's why he was pushed back into the backfield. Sometimes he was very slow off the line.

I feel bad for Spencer; I've heard he's a decent guy. Lots of decent guys get cut though.

Using a roster spot on him would make him an expensive long shot. The Texans may have learned a lesson with carrying Mathis for so long. He even has proven performance, but injuries were to be a factor with him.

An overstatement possibly before, but this also sounds like you are trying to let this one down as easy as possible on the other end. It was mainly Kubiak who did all the hyping about Spencer, which in turn ignited the fans. Kubiak was very very high on Spencer and spoke often about it. The year Spencer got hurt Kubiak stated later it was the lowest point of the season for the organization. Huge blow to the team, its future, and obviously Spencers development. From the sound of it Kubiak had very big plans for this kid. I wonder if you ask Kubiak now about what he thought he might have on his hands back then as a player for the future.... I am not so sure a Franchise type LT wasnt in his head somewhere.
Tailgate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #57
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
i'm suggesting we IR him now. that way he doesn't take up a roster spot especially not going into TC when we've got all these unproven guys that are healthy. I don't want to keep him for another year on IR if he's gonna take up a roster spot during TC. I'm saying if we IR him now we can continue the "experiment" one more year. what's the harm in that? other than we're left to discuss his potential for another whole year.
The guy needs to play this year. He needs to either make a team or a practice squad. It would be unfair to him to stash him away on IR again and that extra year of no football would probably seal is fate.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #58
barrett
Hall of Fame

but doesn't pushing him at TC possibly seal his fate as well?
Old 06-08-2008   #59
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Spencer is not eligible for the practice squad since he already has two years in the NFL.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #60
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24423 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know what the difference between an injury settlement and a full year's salary would be. I doubt that would be enough to become a determining factor in the decision. I think it boils down to whether the Texans see Spencer as someone who can contribute in the future.

And with this thought in mind, why wouldn't they just put him on the field to see if he can play, or not? He might not be a good fit for the ZBS, but with the potential he showed prior to the injury, surely some team might be willing to give up a late round draft pick for him. After all, they've got scouts too.

I'm just saying, we shouldn't just throw him away if we can get something for him. As NBT said, I'd sure hate to see another team pick him up & he turns into a starter at guard or tackle for them.

We could probably let him sit on the PUP one more year, if Brown, Butler, & Frye step up. That would allow us to let Salaam (32 y/o) walk & clear another roster spot for the young guns.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read