Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-07-2008   #1
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans nearing decision on Spencer

With OTAs wrapping up and the Texans facing a cutdown to 80 players before training camp, Kubiak still doesn't know if offensive tackle Charles Spencer will be able to participate for the 2008 season.

Quote:
With only two more scheduled days of organized team activities, the Texans are trying to decide how they will proceed with offensive lineman Charles Spencer.

Spencer has attended the mandatory and voluntary practices this offseason, but he has not been cleared by team trainers to participate in all of the drills because of his knee.

Coach Gary Kubiak will talk with team personnel this weekend and decide if Spencer can practice Monday during the final OTA sessions.

"Well, obviously, we're down to a couple of days," Kubiak said. "We've had long discussions with him (Thursday). The bottom line is that we're not quite sure he's ready to get out here and be more active, so they'll evaluate that through the weekend and make a decision.

"It's a big issue, you know, and the issue is strictly a numbers issue with the football team because taking 80 guys to camp and having 80 guys to go through an NFL camp is just a very small number," Kubiak said. "And it's new water for all of us as coaches and general managers, so that's why it makes this decision even tougher as we move forward."

"Well, I think it's still a delicate situation," Kubiak said. "We're trying right now, in all honesty, to figure out the day to really push him hard and see how he responds to that push. We have done a little bit more each day, but we haven't put him in a — I don't want to use the word combative — but a competitive situation where he could be around some piles, so we hope to pick that day here rather quickly and then we'll see how he comes out of it."
Even with medical clearance on the knee, Spencer has an uphill battle to make this team. His best chance would be a position change to Guard. But if Spencer can't go during OTAs, the Texans can't assume he'll be ready to go by training camp and cut a player who can contribute. Spencer's short career with the Texans could be coming to an end.
Old 06-07-2008   #2
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans nearing decision on Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
With OTAs wrapping up and the Texans facing a cutdown to 80 players before training camp, Kubiak still doesn't know if offensive tackle Charles Spencer will be able to participate for the 2008 season.

Even with medical clearance on the knee, Spencer has an uphill battle to make this team. His best chance would be a position change to Guard. But if Spencer can't go during OTAs, the Texans can't assume he'll be ready to go by training camp and cut a player who can contribute. Spencer's short career with the Texans could be coming to an end.
damn you Ron Dayne
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #3
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Looks like he's done here. If he doesn't make the 80, we'll never see him again. If he can make this cut, then I think he may go to the practice squad. I don't see PUP happening because he can't participate in training camp if he's PUP'd... And, he can't miss another training camp and then have any value to the club in midseason.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #4
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Looks like he's done here. If he doesn't make the 80, we'll never see him again. If he can make this cut, then I think he may go to the practice squad. I don't see PUP happening because he can't participate in training camp if he's PUP'd... And, he can't miss another training camp and then have any value to the club in midseason.
Hmmmm....
If he makes it thru waivers to our practice squad, then he could rejoin the team should the injury bug hit us again like it did last year. That'll give him more time to recover.

Not a bad plan but will it work?
Old 06-07-2008   #5
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
damn you Ron Dayne
Fa sho.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #6
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hmmmm....
If he makes it thru waivers to our practice squad, then he could rejoin the team should the injury bug hit us again like it did last year. That'll give him more time to recover.

Not a bad plan but will it work?
I think that even if he makes the PS, it's not a surefire thing that he gets to play once he's fully recovered. If we stick with zone blocking, who's to say he's going to be quick footed enough to play in that scheme?

I think a team that uses a power blocking scheme would probably love a player like a fully recovered Charles Spencer. He engulfs people, and then he buries them. I think he'd be perfect in a scheme where he's asked to take down one defender, 2 at most.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #7
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Well, I'm hoping he makes it back.
Not only does he want to play again, but he wants to play HERE.
That's worth a lot to me.
Sponsored links
Old 06-07-2008   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hmmmm....
If he makes it thru waivers to our practice squad...
The practice squad isn't set until just prior to the start of the season. In the mean time, Spencer will be not practicing with the team. With zero reps over the past 2 years, I have to question how much value Spencer would have on the practice squad and if he would even be ready to contribute during the season. I think that spot would be better served by a healthy player who has had the reps and would be ready to step in as a reserve. Like a Frye, Eslinger, or Fenton.
Old 06-07-2008   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The practice squad isn't set until just prior to the start of the season. In the mean time, Spencer will be not practicing with the team. With zero reps over the past 2 years, I have to question how much value Spencer would have on the practice squad and if he would even be ready to contribute during the season. I think that spot would be better served by a healthy player who has had the reps and would be ready to step in as a reserve. Like a Frye, Eslinger, or Fenton.

As high as Spencer's ceiling is, I would think he'd be worth a spot on the practice squad if the team believes he's on track to recover. DEFINITELY! That being said, it sure looks like the team no longer believes in the likelihood of Spencer being healthy again. It's very disappointing... But, it's amazing what the front office has accomplished in less than two years, because the loss of Spencer no longer effects my perception of this team's ability to compete. The talent pool here is worlds better than it was when Ron Dayne stepped on my heart and Spencer's leg.
Old 06-07-2008   #10
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

dale, you're going with me to a cubs astros game the night before our home opener. we're gonna spoon at the hotel after. imagine waking up at 8 am to tailgate!!!!!!

by the way... how many players are we allowed to have on the practice squad?
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #11
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
He's not forbidden to take reps with the team unless he's officially put on IR or the PUP list is he?

I think that's the $64 question for Smith/Gibbs: Which of these guys has more upside?
Old 06-07-2008   #12
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
He's not forbidden to take reps with the team unless he's officially put on IR or the PUP list is he?

I think that's the $64 question for Smith/Gibbs: Which of these guys has more upside?
You can only be put on the PUP list if you haven't participated at all during training camp.

The IR is different. I guess that is a possibility, though he wouldn't be able to practice with the team while he's on the IR, I don't think.
Old 06-07-2008   #13
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
dale, you're going with me to a cubs astros game the night before our home opener. we're gonna spoon at the hotel after. imagine waking up at 8 am to tailgate!!!!!!

Everything sounds good about that scenario except the baseball game... That being said, you're on!
Old 06-07-2008   #14
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:

T.M.I.!!!
Old 06-07-2008   #15
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the Ugly side of the NFL. Can we jail Ron Dayne for hit and run?
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #16
Lucky

Quote:
If Spencer is on the roster, and not on IR or PUP, he's eligible to practice. What I was referring to was the scenario where Spencer is released prior to training camp and whether it would be a good idea to put him on the practice squad (which isn't formed until after the 53 man cutdown) without going through a training camp or preseason.

barrett, the practice squads are allowed a maximum of 8 players.
Old 06-07-2008   #17
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Everything sounds good about that scenario except the baseball game... That being said, you're on!
Quote:
T.M.I.!!!
Oh shit that is F'n hilarious. Thanks for the laugh. Obsiwan you would have to know Barrett and Dale. Hey Barrett, you fat ass, just do not break any chaairs at the hotel.
Old 06-07-2008   #18
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Spencer is on the roster, and not on IR or PUP, he's eligible to practice. What I was referring to was the scenario where Spencer is released prior to training camp and whether it would be a good idea to put him on the practice squad (which isn't formed until after the 53 man cutdown) without going through a training camp or preseason.

Can they invite to camp .. ala baseball .. as a nonroster invitee?
Old 06-07-2008   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

And, any team can sign any player from any team's practice squad. Correct? So that means Spencer is fair game to any NFL team even if he's on our practice squad. IIRC, it works like that.

I don't even have the words to express how I feel on this whole situation.
Old 06-07-2008   #20
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Every time I have an urge to say something nice about Ron Dayne, I remember Charles Spencer, and the urge goes away.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read