Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-30-2008   #1
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans listed as "Emerging Offense" by RotoWorld

Don't know if you guys have seen this - I looked through the first 5 pages of thread titles and didn't see it - but if its already here the Mods will take care of it, I'm sure.

Anyhow, we've evolved from "sucky" to "sleeper pick"...
There's an imbedded video clip from MSNBC on fantasy football and the Texans are the first team evaluated...
check it out

http://blogs.rotoworld.com/Fantasy_F...g_offenses.php
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #2
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 57809 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans listed as "Emerging Offense" by RotoWorld

Our offense is going to be a force this year, but not necessarily through the air. I think our ground game is going to come through in a big way with the additions of Slaton and Chris Brown. Our offensive line got an over due make over with Myers, Biscuit, and Brown. To be honest, I think Studdard will push for Pitts' starting job this year.

This is turning out to be a solid looking group on paper so we will see what happens when it counts.

To say the Texans may have a top 5 offense is not that far fetched.

All of a sudden the Colts don't look so intimidating.

Now if the defense can pull there weight........

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #3
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, we will find out how good our running game is the first regular season game against those Steelers.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #4
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Indy will be just as good as always, looks like Jacksonville will be slightly improved, while the Titans stay the same or go down. In any case, this year is our first good shot at not being in frigging last place in the division.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #5
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 57809 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Indy will be just as good as always, looks like Jacksonville will be slightly improved, while the Titans stay the same or go down. In any case, this year is our first good shot at not being in frigging last place in the division.
We finished 3rd in 04.

Indy will be good as always but I feel things are about to change. Jacksonville got good and so did the Texans. I predict the Colts do not win the division this year. Not saying the Texans will win it, but its time for the Colts to fall.

Old 05-30-2008   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
We finished 3rd in 04.

Indy will be good as always but I feel things are about to change. Jacksonville got good and so did the Texans. I predict the Colts do not win the division this year. Not saying the Texans will win it, but its time for the Colts to fall.
I'm old, my memory is bad. Don't make fun of old people. Just kidding. LOL

I agree that Indy and the Jacks will take the 1st and 2nd places this year, with us and the Titans fighting for 3rd place. We have a good shot at it.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #7
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I'm old, my memory is bad. Don't make fun of old people. Just kidding. LOL

I agree that Indy and the Jacks will take the 1st and 2nd places this year, with us and the Titans fighting for 3rd place. We have a good shot at it.
Whats sad is its not the fact that I remember we finished 3rd b/c I have a good memory, but instead its b/c its the only year out of six seasons we didn't finish last.

Sponsored links
Old 05-30-2008   #8
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

not to surprising given what we did last year ( please get the ball to OD in the red zone), if only our defense can step it up and give the offense a short field
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #9
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Don't know if you guys have seen this - I looked through the first 5 pages of thread titles and didn't see it - but if its already here the Mods will take care of it, I'm sure.

Anyhow, we've evolved from "sucky" to "sleeper pick"...
There's an imbedded video clip from MSNBC on fantasy football and the Texans are the first team evaluated...
check it out

http://blogs.rotoworld.com/Fantasy_F...g_offenses.php

A couple of thoughts.

I do not think that Rosenfels and Schaub are fungible or that the passing game is go go go whether or not Andre Johnson is healthy.

I do think that it is a good sign that the passing game isn't completely MIA if Schaub or Johnson is out (and the Texans have no consistent run game). Last year was a demonstration that the Texans have a system offense, but that that system runs better if they have their starters healthy. I really hope that the stereotypical Denver running game shows up this year to complement the pass game instead of compete with it.

So, in other words, I agree with the general premise that the Texans passing game can be great, but not the interchangibility of the parts.

As for the Jacksonville passing game, I am more meh. I am underwhelmed with their receivers group, and their passing game is mostly about not screwing up so that the running game can be effective. Their defense keeps games close so that Jacksonville typically doesn't have to rely on their passing game to keep up.

Their starting QB is non-typical sized, and has a chronic disease that could flare up at any time for any reason. Their backups are underwhelming.

Jacksonville is Jacksonville, not because of their try not to make mistakes quarterback and passing game. It's because they have one of the best running back combos in the league.
Old 05-30-2008   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
As for the Jacksonville passing game, I am more meh. I am underwhelmed with their receivers group, and their passing game is mostly about not screwing up so that the running game can be effective. Their defense keeps games close so that Jacksonville typically doesn't have to rely on their passing game to keep up.

Their starting QB is non-typical sized, and has a chronic disease that could flare up at any time for any reason. Their backups are underwhelming.

Jacksonville is Jacksonville, not because of their try not to make mistakes quarterback and passing game. It's because they have one of the best running back combos in the league.
I agree with this. I think that their offense is all Taylor (Who, if I remember correctly, can sometimes be remembered as "Fragile" Freddy), Jones-Drew and Garrard. I'm not saying Garrard is all-pro, but no way is his receiver corps making him look outstanding. He's making good decisions when he has to and that's enough with his running game and defense to fall on. I think if Freddy goes down in the middle of the season, they could easily do a repeat of the '06 season where they disappointed.

My problem with the defense is that they lost Stroud, and Mike Williams (Their DC). I'm not sure if they still have Paul Spicer or not on their line, but I really hope they aren't banking on Derrick Harvey or Quentin Groves having really breakout years. Rookie picks look great up until they suit up and play against the rest of the NFL at least for a little while (Barring 2 great picks that completely turn out how the Jags think they will). I just think their defense is going to take a step backwards and not be quite as stout vs the run.

Pretty much, I think the Jags are going to fall a little short of winning the division, and could possibly take a tumble to 3rd in the division, and I don't know about them making the playoffs this coming up year. They could easily be one of the teams that does not make a return to the playoffs. I'm just overall not impressed with their offseason moves (Tennessee's neither, but that's a different thread).

The Jags could surprise me and completely live up to the hype, but I think that they are a team that will step back this year.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008   #11
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

The Gulf Coast Offense will be off the chain and all of our key guys stay healthy it's on and Pittsburgh watch out!!!!
Old 05-31-2008   #12
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

what scares me is our division record last year. i know we were hurting and we're going to be better this year but we were 1-5 and the 1 was the last game of the year against some backups.

i could easily see us finishing third and making the playoffs. i could see us playing great against the rest of the schedule and going 3-3 and just missing.

we've got to improve in the division. if it was my team that would be my number one focus if you do well in our division you're in the playoffs.

i'm hoping for 4-2 but expecting 3-3. if it's anything less, we're going to be disappointed.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read