Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-28-2008   #1
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AP article on Matt Schaub

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

I can't wait to see what this offense can do with everyone healthy. (Knock on wood). I like having the security of Sage, but Schaubs few games with Andre showed that those 2 could have some great moments together. Montana-Rice maybe. Ok, so that's a little premature. Well, it's actually a lot premature. Still, it could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AP article on Matt Schaub

Lot of speed in WR group and with possible strength to OLine and our improved RB situation, our offense could really light 'em up.
Old 05-28-2008   #3
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 8295 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt's definitely a leader. I'm looking forward to the season with improvement at virtually every position on offense and defense, too.

Steelers 20 Texans 13

maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008   #4
Polo

lol
Old 05-28-2008   #5
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know about the rest of you, but this response bothered me...

Quote:
He doesn't have any specific areas he wants to improve on this season but rather hopes to elevate his overall game.

"Just more growth," he said. "To keep going in the right direction. Get more in-depth in the offense and understand what the coaches are looking for from me. I want to be out there on the field playing consistent."
Those are good "say-the-expected-thing" sound bites but they leave me wondering if he reviewed film from his play last year to see what specifics he needed to work on the most.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008   #6
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8706 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

Those are good "say-the-expected-thing" sound bites but they leave me wondering if he reviewed film from his play last year to see what specifics he needed to work on the most.
I wouldn't look too much into it. Now if he said that he was thinking of retiring...
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008   #7
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
I wouldn't look too much into it. Now if he said that he was thinking of retiring...
LOL! Okay, point taken.

And, to be clear, I wasn't trying to bash young Matt, I was just looking for a little more of an insightful answer.
You know, more specifics, like, "I was dissatisfied with the number of INTs I threw, so I want to work on my accuracy..." or "my film studies showed I left points on the field when I underthrew some of my passes, so I need to get my arm strength better..."

That's all I was thinking.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-28-2008   #8
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
Matt's definitely a leader. I'm looking forward to the season with improvement at virtually every position on offense and defense, too.

Steelers 20 Texans 13

Now that is a backhand compliment if I ever heard one! The Steelers aren't invincible. If we can duck the injury bug we will be a force to contend with.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

If these guys can stay healthy, the continuity and consistency should come. With injuries to Schaub, AJ, and Green, not to mention O-linemen and guys like JJ, the offense put up over 5K yards last year. Kubiak has shown he knows what he's doing on offense, so if these guys can just become the players they are supposed to be, we could have a SB-caliber offense in a couple years.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008   #10
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 13 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Quote:

The way I read that was: "I have a lot of kinks to get worked out and need to improve overall". I would agree with that and hope to see Schaub improve his game in this next season. Schaub, like most young QBs, don't have just one area of concern. Schaub has three big ones that come to my mind: arm strength, decision making, and passing in the red zone. I have faith in Schaub and I like his upside, so I'm looking forward to seeing him in action next season.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008   #11
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"I've been working on my chin. I hired Roy Jones Jr. to throw punches at me in the offseason. Holyfield has been helping me with my neck strength so I can take a punch."

How's that?
Old 05-28-2008   #12
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 8295 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Now that is a backhand compliment if I ever heard one! The Steelers aren't invincible. If we can duck the injury bug we will be a force to contend with.
Agreed but, you have to look at the whole picture. Opening game of season in Pittsburg and they're gonna be fired up and even more so against any team from Houston and even more so since we beat them last time. We have several new pieces in place that need to work into the team along with new oline and other schemes, etc.

Now, I do reserve the right to change my mind after the pre-season and at half-time and after the 3rd quarter.....
Old 05-28-2008   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Hopefully, Matt Schaub will earn his money, and the two draft picks we gave to get him.

I haven't seen/heard or read anything that really solidifies Matt as the leader of this team, other than Kubiak saying that he is. I mean it's no different than Kubiak saying HWSNBN is the leader of this team.

Don't get me wrong, I think we made a huge upgrade at the position. But that's not saying much about Schaub.
Old 05-29-2008   #14
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

I haven't seen/heard or read anything that really solidifies Matt as the leader of this team, other than Kubiak saying that he is. I mean it's no different than Kubiak saying HWSNBN is the leader of this team.
I think he shows more effort to be the leader, but he's not the first one I think about when it comes to the leader of the team. The problem is we don't have a good basis to judge. Well, at least not from the Texans QB position. He's an improvement in that area over Carr. That doesn't say much, though.

I know one thing they mention about Schaub's leadership is how he made sure to call every player when he was traded to the team. He also gets the phone numbers of each draftee and free agent signee to call them and welcome them. That by itself isn't much, but it sounds like he at least puts in extra time with the team and doesn't automatically run off when practice is over. They are signs that he could be that person, but he has to step it up. One of the things I remember a lot of people saying about Carr was his ability to get up after taking a beating. Heck, I remember Capers saying that was why he left him in the game against SD in year 1 after giving up 9 hard sacks. He wanted them team to see his leadership ability. To me, that's a quality that many leaders have, but it alone doesn't make you a leader. The time is now for Schaub to lead the Texans to the extra season.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #15
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Agreed but, you have to look at the whole picture. Opening game of season in Pittsburg and they're gonna be fired up and even more so against any team from Houston and even more so since we beat them last time. We have several new pieces in place that need to work into the team along with new oline and other schemes, etc.

Now, I do reserve the right to change my mind after the pre-season and at half-time and after the 3rd quarter.....
They freakin destroyed us last time we played... Like 38-7 in 100 degree weather.
Old 05-29-2008   #16
maddogmrb
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
They freakin destroyed us last time we played... Like 38-7 in 100 degree weather.
Well, we did beat 'em at some point in Pittsburg, didn't we? How do you think the game is gonna go?

Old 05-29-2008   #17
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Ahhhhhh yes.... I left a piece of me at Reliant that day..... (a piece of my a** melted to the seat).
Old 05-29-2008   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, we did beat 'em at some point in Pittsburg, didn't we? How do you think the game is gonna go?

2002 when our defense beat them.
Old 05-29-2008   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
2002 when our defense beat them.
24-6.........

52 TOTAL YARDS OFFENSE... Carr 33 yards net passing (all to Billy Miller) and James Allen 19 yards rushing....
Old 05-29-2008   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
24-6.........

52 TOTAL YARDS OFFENSE... Carr 33 yards net passing (all to Billy Miller) and James Allen 19 yards rushing....
That's so sickening it's funny. We had a pretty good defense then, yet tore it apart a year or two later. I don't think I'll ever understand the logic behind those moves. If they wanted to get younger, fine, let them learn from the vet's rather than whackin them. Asshats!

Was Cordell the Steelers QB then? Maddox?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read