Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-27-2008   #41
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sporting News says "Mario's a 'Hit'"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Okay, we get it, the media is now backing off of what they said in 2006. In all seriousness though, what'd you expect from them?

can we please stop with the mario "i told u so" threads?
I told u that there would be "I told u so" post in a Mario thread!!

Mario will have a monster year!!
Old 05-27-2008   #42
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
hated the wasted 7th Rounder on Brink. the guy isn't a scrub and has some upside but why are they spending 7th Rounders on a QB that we don't need when we arent willing to deal our backup, Sage, for a 3rd Rounder? If your so damn high on your backup, why the hell are you drafting other QBs? Couldn't we have probably gotten him via post-draft Free Agency? I don't know. Maybe the value of having quality QB play in practice and developmental squad is hard to put a price on..i dont know. It just seems like flawed logic from a fan's point of view.

I grew up right down the street from The Sporting News in St. Louis. I was happy to hear they were pimping Mario. He deserves everything he gets because the pressure was really on the guy. Mario truly is a HIT.
speaking of Brink- http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4340

what everyone here has lost in translation is how to build a team in the salary cap era (at least two more years). this is something I failed to consider when they picked Mario Williams. A big time RDE on the free agent market is a hot commodity requiring millions to sign. just look at this last draft where premeir defensive linemen litter'ed the top 10 picks. Mario was a cornerstone pick not the sexy pick to build a franchise around. good move.

regarding Brink, I would rather invest minimal in the QB position to develop a prospect than pay one 60-70 million like Atlanta did for Matt Ryan. Doesn't hurt my appreication for Alex Brink to make this team longterm either since we graduated from the same High School

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #43
austintexanite
All Pro

Nice find, I hope he continues to exceed all the naysayers expectations and becomes better with age. Hard to believe he will be 23 this year, and in his 3rd year.
Old 05-27-2008   #44
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Now the pressure is on, because if Mario Williams does anything to not impress (Not get double digit sacks, get injured blah blah blah) then it's going to go back to the same old "trash Mario for easy story" again. Especially at the chronic. I know a few of those writers are just waiting for Williams to falter so they can head straight to their paper to say "I told you so!"
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #45
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 293364 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quite a few high profile, "can't miss" DEs didn't get double digit sacks last year. Jevon Kearse didn't. Julius Peppers didn't. Strahan didn't. Are they suddenly busts?

Let the naysayers come.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 05-28-2008 at 12:07 PM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #46
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
speaking of Brink- http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4340

what everyone here has lost in translation is how to build a team in the salary cap era (at least two more years). this is something I failed to consider when they picked Mario Williams. A big time RDE on the free agent market is a hot commodity requiring millions to sign. just look at this last draft where premeir defensive linemen litter'ed the top 10 picks. Mario was a cornerstone pick not the sexy pick to build a franchise around. good move.

regarding Brink, I would rather invest minimal in the QB position to develop a prospect than pay one 60-70 million like Atlanta did for Matt Ryan. Doesn't hurt my appreication for Alex Brink to make this team longterm either since we graduated from the same High School
Another reason I'm glad they didn't take Mendenhall. I'd rather they invest the money in OT than RB.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #47
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 12424 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

never mind.

Last edited by noxiousdog; 05-29-2008 at 10:01 AM. Reason: It's old news.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #48
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Quite a few high profile, "can't miss" DEs didn't get double digit sacks last year. Jevon Kearse didn't. Julius Peppers didn't. Strahan didn't. Are they suddenly busts?

Let the naysayers come.
Strahan had Umenyiora, Tuck and others to bring the heat to the quarterback. Peppers got freaking killed by his fans and media last year when he didn't produce. Jevon Kearse hasn't produced, or been thought of as, a top flight DE for awhile now.

Pretty much, all of this Mario hype means if he fails, he's going to get slaughtered by lots of people from all sides this year. Which isn't too much different than when he was a rookie, but, it still can effect somebody's play. If I had my druthers, I would rather the Sporting News, or ESPN or Sports Illustrated would wait just one year or so before declaring somebody the next big thing, but I know the sports journalism world operates on a "whomever can guess the best wins" sort of angle. I just wouldn't want a young player like Mario let a lot of people get in his ear telling him he's the greatest, and then he starts to believe it rather than proving it.

Just so that nobody mistakes me for a hater, I think Mario will have another really good year this year. I don't know if he'll match 14 sacks, but I think double digit sacks is doable again.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #49
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

i still believe that pressures are more important than sacks, mario just needs to make the qb uncomfortable. also, does 10+ sacks matter if he opens things up for okoye, okam, tj, etc?
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read