Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk" Rival fans & lighthearted smack talk. Keep it light and leave the mean spirited stuff at home please.

Old 05-24-2008   #1
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default vy considered retirement

VINCE CONSIDERED RETIREMENT?
Posted by Mike Florio on May 23, 2008, 7:09 p.m. EDT
Wow, that Madden curse thing really is strong. Last year, it almost persuaded the guy featured on the cover of the game to retire.

Titans quarterback Vince Young tells Thomas George of NFL.com that Young considered quitting football after his rookie season.

“I really thought long and hard about it,” Young said. “There was so much going on with my family. It was crazy being an NFL quarterback. It wasn’t fun anymore. All of the fun was out of it. All of the excitement was gone. All I was doing was worrying about things. and throwing interceptions
“My teammates helped lift me out of it. I prayed really hard. And I began to focus on God’s calling for me. all that, and I got a really stupid tattoo of my own name on my back Play football. Be a role model.”

Drink tequila from the bottle in public. Take off your shirt. Drink some more tequila.

So what has changed in a year? “Now I can handle this kind of stuff without it making me want to give up football,” Young said. “I learned that 24/7 I’m representing the Titans and, especially, the kids all over I am trying to influence. I look at my man Michael Vick. I learned from that. I look at Pacman. I learned from that. I look at some troubles recently for rappers T.I. and Lil Wayne, guys I listen to. I learned from them. I’ve learned from my life. Vick, PacMan, and various rappers as sounding boards? Wow.
“You can get too much going on where you can’t control it anymore. No matter how much money you get, no matter how much comes your way, you have to control yourself. I know it’s up to me. I can’t get too big for my britches.” too late Captain Ego

Sure you can. All you have to do is take them off.

And then drink some more tequila.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...ed-retirement/
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #2
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: vy considered retirement

At least he's honest. Sometimes people that you think have it all really aren't happy.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #3
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Nice to see him not hold back and be honest about it.
Old 05-24-2008   #4
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Boo ********* hoo! As I recall, he wasn't the one already labeled a bust before playing a single down such as MW was. You want to talk about pressure and being overwhelmed, try walking a mile in Mario's shoes. Also, he isn't the first player ever to come out of the hood and see the shootings and killings that are associated with it, so what makes him so special? Maybe I'm taking this out of context, but welcome to the real world buddy. We all have stress and pressure to perform to our capabilities, just not always in the same jobs. I think this story was written with the intentions of clearing the pictures of him shirtless and wasted at a party, so that his "role model" label isn't tarnished.

Just my
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is what happens when everything comes easy your whole life, and you finally make it to a level where things arent so simple.

A guy like VY has always been so athletic and gifted that he could single handedly take games over whenever he wanted. He cant do that in the NFL

Im not surprised he had a tough time, but its nice to see him open up about it. I have to say IM a little surprised his insides are so weak tho
Old 05-24-2008   #6
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Vick, PacMan, and various rappers as sounding boards? Wow
he's talking about the trouble they got into and the lessons he learned from their mistakes........

Quote:
Boo ********* hoo! As I recall, he wasn't the one already labeled a bust before playing a single down such as MW was. You want to talk about pressure and being overwhelmed, try walking a mile in Mario's shoes. Also, he isn't the first player ever to come out of the hood and see the shootings and killings that are associated with it, so what makes him so special? Maybe I'm taking this out of context, but welcome to the real world buddy. We all have stress and pressure to perform to our capabilities, just not always in the same jobs. I think this story was written with the intentions of clearing the pictures of him shirtless and wasted at a party, so that his "role model" label isn't tarnished.
I think you're looking at this the wrong way. Vince seems like the type of person that knows that he's blessed (he's always saying it), he's just speaking of the adjustments he's had to make...........and I still don't know what the big deal is about him drinking?????? It's like you'll expect dude not to live a normal life, because he's a "role model"......it isn't like he's making commercials making statements such as "say yes to cocaine", lol. Seriously the avg. kid who watches his games also probably watches the beer adds in between each commercial break, and is probably around their father who is most likely cracking a brew or two..............those pictures aren't going to tarnish anything........

Last edited by The Dream; 05-24-2008 at 10:56 AM.
The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #7
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

It sounds to me like someone that has been told that he was the greatest thing since sliced bread for his entire life, up until last year when people started to say that he has regressed. Now, the reality of the situation has sunk in, and he realized that he had bought into his own hype, that is he won't be able to dominate this league due to his athleticism.

Last edited by BattleRedToro; 05-25-2008 at 12:44 PM.
BattleRedToro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-24-2008   #8
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer

^^^I didn't get that from it at all, lol..............
Old 05-24-2008   #9
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
It sounds to me like someone that has been told that he was the greatest thing since sliced bread for his entire life, up until last year when people started to say that he has regressed. Now, the reality of the situation has sunk in, and he realized that he had bought in his own hype, that is he won't be able to dominate this league due to his athleticism.
I bet not. I am sure he knew going into the NFL that it would be an adjustment. He still had that senior year left at UT and I'm sure Vince is smart enough football wise to know that it would not be easy in the NFL.

He said it was not fun anymore. So he's young and had some second thoughts. It happens. To him football is a job. To me my job is something else but it's still a job. And I've had plenty of times thinking what am I doing here? He had some of those moments. That's all.
Old 05-24-2008   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 65389 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

You keep that kind of stuff to yourself when you're a star QB in the NFL. I don't think these quotes will win him any fans in Nashville, him being honest or him just being immature. If Matt Schaub came out and said that he thought of retirement after being injured a lot last season, I'd be really worried that my QB didn't have the drive to want to be the best at his position.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #11
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

I have news for you, Vince: It aint getting any easier. You're heading into your third season in the NFL and it's about that time where people start expecting serious results out of the third overall pick. 9TDs, 17 INTs, and as many fumbles lost as rushing TDs isn't going to cut it for you next season.

I can understand that NFL QBs are under a lot of pressure, especially those drafted number three in the draft that haven't produced. That said, it's time you manned up, Vince. If you would like to be a role model, you could start with your attitude. Sitting on your ass, staring into space after a loss is not what you want out of a role model/team leader, nor is throwing a hissy fit on the field when things don't go your way. Finally, football is a game: this is a fact. However, first and foremost, it is a business...a business that is not always fun. You weren't drafted and aren't paid to have fun, you are there to be a team leader and put up results. If you want to have fun, I would suggest getting your friends together and playing a game of two-hand touch (preferably with your shirt on and away from the liquor cabinet). In the mean time, man up and act more like an NFL QB than a whiny, hormonal, junior varsity QB.

Just my opinion.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #12
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
I have news for you, Vince: It aint getting any easier. You're heading into your third season in the NFL and it's about that time where people start expecting serious results out of the third overall pick. 9TDs, 17 INTs, and as many fumbles lost as rushing TDs isn't going to cut it for you next season.

I can understand that NFL QBs are under a lot of pressure, especially those drafted number three in the draft that haven't produced. That said, it's time you manned up, Vince. If you would like to be a role model, you could start with your attitude. Sitting on your ass, staring into space after a loss is not what you want out of a role model/team leader, nor is throwing a hissy fit on the field when things don't go your way. Finally, football is a game: this is a fact. However, first and foremost, it is a business...a business that is not always fun. You weren't drafted and aren't paid to have fun, you are there to be a team leader and put up results. If you want to have fun, I would suggest getting your friends together and playing a game of two-hand touch (preferably with your shirt on and away from the liquor cabinet). In the mean time, man up and act more like an NFL QB than a whiny, hormonal, junior varsity QB.

Just my opinion.

I'm sensing hatred, lol...........
Old 05-24-2008   #13
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 23391 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Few things I respect more than when a person can open up and keep it real when the going gets tough. Anybody can appear tough and lie for the sake of image. Nothing special there, join the crowd.

If Vince's career in the NFL works out and he goes on to be a hall of famer, great, yet if for whatever the reason professional football turns out to not be his true calling, then I wish him the best in what ever positive career that turns out to be.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #14
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dream View Post
I'm sensing hatred, lol...........
I don't hate Vince Young. What I do hate however is seeing a professional football player (and grown man) emoting to reporters when he should be concentrating on bettering himself as a player and leader.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #15
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

I met Vince Young right after he was selected by the Titans. He came to Club Sky (or whatever it was called back then. It's now the new location of TOC Bar. That place changes names so fast it's silly.). Vince came in and we parked his Titans colored Escalade with custom embroidered seats.

Vince came in at like 6pm and didn't leave until 3am (they opened early for a party in which he was not the only NFL player there. A lot of NY Jets players were there. Don't ask me why. I still don't know to this day what that party was all about. I just worked outside parking cars.). What I found astonishing about that night was when he came out. He wasn't drunk. At all. He was actually a very very good customer. Very nice to the fans who actually booed him at the club.

I don't know... What I do know is that when he pulled up, I wanted to trash his truck for flaunting that he's a Tennessee Titan in Houston. I wanted to shred his custom embroidered seats which said VY with a 10 in there.

I had my camera phone ready to go. I actually neglected my customers at the end of the night by watching the door and ensuring that I would not miss Vince Young walk out. Vince Young's chauffeur (or entourage designated driver) was drunk so Vince ended up taking the keys from him and driving himself home. I personally gave him his keys. The man smiled at me and I just immediately went weak in the knees. I just went into awe after pacing back and forth all freaking night long ready to pounce on him with my camera phone.

I had a newfound respect for the man. I absolutely expected him to be making headlines the next day for staying inside that club for 9 straight hours. The man was sober as can be. The man still welcomed his fans/non-fans after a night of partying.

I guess I can't help but respect him more after hearing him say all this retirement stuff. Hang tough, Vince Young. We need to you remain with the Titans for the next ten years. See, we need ten years of easy wins against ya'll.

Gooc luck, Vince. Depression is no joke and I can't help but respect someone who's battling.
Old 05-24-2008   #16
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Vince didn't say he was depressed. He said he had second thoughts about being an NFL QB and it wasn't fun for awhile.
Old 05-24-2008   #17
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1964 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully Mario and the Texans can make it even less fun for him this season!
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #18
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimeTexanFan View Post
Hopefully Mario and the Texans can make it even less fun for him this season!
I am sorry that Vince isn't having a good time as a NFL QB. I feel for the man. The poor kid can't get drunk and stupid without people worrying about that 50 mil contract he got to play and win in the NFL. He still wants to hang with the guys on the old UT football team and rehash his college glory years. Heck everyone one the face of the planet has had it better than him. I feel so very sorry for him. He is just a human on a pedistal that is afraid of heights. He wants the kids that look up to him to know that just because you do a few drugs and get your freak on while your buds film it, it doesn't mean you can't cry in public when you get busted. All is forgiven. Its amazing that this little sob story hit the stands right after his dirty dancing with the boys pics came out. He is starting to have a Ryan Leaf feel about him. Self important and likes his booze and partying.

I don't know anyone whose life if perfect. Most of us just don't get the opportunity to try to make the entire football watching world feel sorry for us when we don't feel like playing. I guess this is when he would throw his helmit around and cry on the sidelines his rookie year. Although he still would sulk on the sidelines last season.

It's not his ball any more. He can't just pick it up and go home when he doesn't get his way any more. Let's see if any real repentence comes out of it. I'll give him the benefit of a doubt. He is still young, but he needs to man up and be a leader and not just one of the boys.

Of course the main reason I even post anything negative about ol' VY is that all the excuse making from the "he walks on water crowd" makes me sick. Their love fest for the QB for a division rival is just this side of being a traitor to the team they say they root for. There has been hundreds of kids come out of the Houston area to the NFL. Most of them had some type of hardships growing up and some people around here act like Vince Young is the only player in the history of the NFL to come from Texas. Ya, I know you just like the burnt ornge color of his jock strap. You can have respect for a player on another team without making the rest of us feel dirty after reading your post.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #19
WWJD
Hall of Fame

I personally will always appreciate what Vince did as a Longhorn because I like the Horns. I have a rooting interest in that team.

I don't have a rooting interest in his pro career but I'll be a Vince HORN fan forever.
Old 05-24-2008   #20
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 214832 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
At least he's honest. Sometimes people that you think have it all really aren't happy.
Honestly speaking I believe that he's a complete dumbass. This man will not amount to anything special as QB's go. In the college game he was a fierce competitor with excellent physical tools but in the NFL that just gets you in the door. I don't think that Vince Young has the mental toughness or the intellectual horsepower to excel at this position on this level.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read