Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-21-2008   #41
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 129044 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's contract may get extended...

Wow - you two really took that question in a way I didn't forsee.

The point I was trying to make is that the percentage of FO personal would have no tie with the general population; especially when 60-70+% of NFL players are African American.

Using those numbers shouldn't only 15% of players be African American?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.

Last edited by PapaL; 05-21-2008 at 08:17 AM. Reason: edited %
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #42
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
especially when 90+% of NFL players are African American.
More like 60-70%.
Old 05-21-2008   #43
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 129044 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
More like 60-70%.
That's what I was trying to get. Thanks.

Quote:
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Old 05-21-2008   #44
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119380 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
you people amaze me, this is a slam dunk-no brainer. there is no debate.
Dang you're up too early!

Oh...I agree! Lock'em up! I love the guy. He's shown the ability, intelligence and the composure for the job.

And....he's from Purdue. Sorry Spec
Old 05-21-2008   #45
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

He will be extended. It just depends on how much McNair wants to spend. He will spend more the longer he waits. Extending to Kubiak's contract make the most sense as they are essentially a package deal philosophically, so we might as well have their contracts end concurrently.
Old 05-21-2008   #46
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Okay. I was thinking about this...

He signed with the Texans after the 2006 draft. Logically, I would think that his contract would be up after the 2009 draft.

Which is why I think we're maybe jumping the gun a little bit on the renegotiation.

Or are you certain that it expires at the end of 2008?
Nitro, it goes by league years. He was here for the 2006 and 2007 league years so the 2008 league year is the final year of his contract. The league year ends in between the Super Bowl and the draft. The fact that he arrived part way into the 2006 league year will not extend his contract into the 2009 league year--it isn't literal years.
Old 05-21-2008   #47
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Just pay Rick!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #48
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

As a HUGE fan of Rick Smith, I say you lock him up to a long term deal.

If maybe you're a skeptic like Nitro (not necessarily a bad thing), Rick Smith hasn't shown us anything to NOT want him back. Maybe if he's made some bad personnel moves or player acquisitions... but I havn't really seen any of those. Also, if you're skeptical of extending his contract- you have to be willing to find and pay another GM, and roll the dice with them so to speak.

Not knowing who's out there, I think it will be hard to find a GM to come here that will do a better job than Smith.

Whether some of 'his' draft picks pan out or not, he's building the entire team w/ FA, trades, udfa, draft, etc (albeit mostly through the draft like we should). Part of building a winning organization is having the right coaches and front office in place. I think we're finally getting to that point. and I think Kubiak and Smith are going to be here for a very long time.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #49
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't care what his skin color is but I'm curious as to why his skin color would make him a hot commodity?
Read a newspaper. It is what it is. The NFL is an entertainment commodity, and marketing is a huge aspect of developing public opinion. Do you ever read the many stories about lack of blacks in upper management and ownership positions in the NFL? It is a subject that is talked about often, even on NFLN.

With regards to extending his contract, it's logical to sign him now for many reasons listed in this thread. He's already proven to be a better GM than Casserly (but of course, that doesn't set the bar very high).
Old 05-21-2008   #50
PapaL
Loose Screw

You guys might think I'm crazy but here goes:

I went out to lunch last week. I went to Fudruckers across the street from my office. I work in Fairfax, VA. The guy sitting at the table across from mine looked awfully like Charley. He was by himself, reading a paper and eating a chicken sandwich. I think it was him. He lives in the area, works at University down the street and it looked like him.

Quote:
Old 05-22-2008   #51
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Nitro, it goes by league years. He was here for the 2006 and 2007 league years so the 2008 league year is the final year of his contract. The league year ends in between the Super Bowl and the draft. The fact that he arrived part way into the 2006 league year will not extend his contract into the 2009 league year--it isn't literal years.
I appreciate the explaination, InfantryCak.

I knew it was that way for the players but didn't think so for the front office outside of the coaches. I say this because I'd think if anything, the GM would be at their busiest during the offseason building the team. Seems logical for me to think that way about their contracts being held to 'literal years.'

Hey, I'm for resigning Rick Smith. I just didn't think it would hurt much to wait a couple months. Sorry if that came across as blasphemy to some of you guys.
Old 05-22-2008   #52
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hey, I'm for resigning Rick Smith. I just didn't think it would hurt much to wait a couple months. Sorry if that came across as blasphemy to some of you guys.
I think if you had known for sure that Smith was in his last year, you wouldn't have disagreed with the idea of re-signing him. Had Smith's contract gone through 2009 or longer, I would agree with you that the extension was a bit premature.

But as TC stated earlier, it's only money. If things go horribly wrong this year, and McNair decides to cut Smith and Kubiak loose, he just eats the contracts. It doesn't count against the salary cap. Of course, I think there's a 0.00001% chance of that happening.
Old 05-22-2008   #53
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 225723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I think if you had known for sure that Smith was in his last year, you wouldn't have disagreed with the idea of re-signing him. Had Smith's contract gone through 2009 or longer, I would agree with you that the extension was a bit premature.
There you go, Lucky.... breaking down a three-page discussion into a couple of logical sentences.

.....Killjoy
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #54
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
There you go, Lucky.... breaking down a three-page discussion into a couple of logical sentences.

.....Killjoy
I at least learned important something about the contracts given out to front offices. The three pages of this thread was worth that information to me.

Thanks, Lucky.
Old 05-22-2008   #55
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
You guys might think I'm crazy but here goes:

I went out to lunch last week. I went to Fudruckers across the street from my office. I work in Fairfax, VA. The guy sitting at the table across from mine looked awfully like Charley. He was by himself, reading a paper and eating a chicken sandwich. I think it was him. He lives in the area, works at University down the street and it looked like him.
i'd have spiked his tea with a cocktail of viagra and industrial strength exlax...oh, the horrah
Old 05-23-2008   #56
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
i'd have spiked his tea with a cocktail of viagra and industrial strength exlax...oh, the horrah

Call your doctor if bowel movement last for more than four hours.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #57
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119380 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Nah, then you'd have to spend the money on the viagra and exlax. Unless of course you already have some.

*ahem* Anyways, you shoulda just knocked his ass out and went about your day.
Old 05-23-2008   #58
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think giving him the extension now is the right thing to do. Teams do the same with star players and I'm fairly certain I've seen other teams do it with coaches and GMS. It sends a good message to the players, coaches, and fans that the team is committed to building a winner. I don't think McNair wants to risk the chance of waiting until the season starts and have that to worry about.

The thing I've most been excited about is that Smith not only brings in players that will help the team and provide some competition for spots, but he isn't breaking the bank to do so. No Todd Wade signings. The team still has this year to clear out the Davis, Carr, etc. cap hits and then they are in great shape.
Old 05-23-2008   #59
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 225723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I at least learned important something about the contracts given out to front offices. The three pages of this thread was worth that information to me.

Thanks, Lucky.
Speaking of info, have you seen any update to this story? It's probably too soon since its only been a couple of days since this little tidbit was released, but it is always best to ask.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #60
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Speaking of info, have you seen any update to this story? It's probably too soon since its only been a couple of days since this little tidbit was released, but it is always best to ask.
As long as the negotiations are not becoming a distraction, its no big deal. RS needs to concentrate on doing everything he can to improve this team going into 2008 season. He will get an extension and probably even a raise.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read