Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-22-2008   #1
indiantexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 36 indiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default "Green healthy for second season in Houston" - Yahoo Sports

From yahoo sports : "Ahman Green was supposed to be the answer to Houston’s rushing woes when he joined the team last season.

Instead the former Green Bay back was limited to 70 carries for 260 yards as he dealt with a nagging knee problem.

The Texans signed free agent Chris Brown this offseason, but plan to rely on Green as the starter. Green, 31, says he’s past his injury and ready to play, but questions remain about his health.

“He looks good. He’s had a good offseason,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “I want to knock on something every time I say that. He’s been a good worker in the program. He hasn’t missed a day.”

The injury was first listed as a bone bruise and soon led to knee swelling. Numerous tests didn’t uncover any other injuries but the injury caused him to miss all or part of 10 games." http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns
indiantexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #2
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Green healthy for second season in Houston" - Yahoo Sports

Wunderbar.

Hopefully he'll stay healthy.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #3
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Hate to be a pessimist about this, but I'm not counting on Ahman Green. He's on the wrong side of 30 and he's got a recent history of being injury-prone.

It would be great if he got over 1,000 yards this seaon, but who here thinks that's going to happen?

I'm betting he gets another 300-400 yards, tops.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Hate to be a pessimist about this, but I'm not counting on Ahman Green. He's on the wrong side of 30 and he's got a recent history of being injury-prone.

It would be great if he got over 1,000 yards this seaon, but who here thinks that's going to happen?

I'm betting he gets another 300-400 yards, tops.
^^^ ^^^

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #5
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we are pretty much set on Running back what do we got like 5 at training come game time cut a few and we should have 3 or 2 running back for the season
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #6
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Every single off-season article about Ahman Green over his entire career talks about how good he looks. He really does take care of his body and is an exercise nut.

Doesn't say squat whether the inside will hold up though.

Good luck to him. I saw enough flashes of good things last season, even with him dragging leg, that it would be fun to see a healthy Green. He showed some good vision in games.
Old 05-23-2008   #7
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

The 'bone bruise' monster is sleeping, just waiting for another knock on the door. I expect a reprise.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-23-2008   #8
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

If he can stay healthy he does not have the miles that a typical 30+ year old running back has due to not playing right out of college and having a couple of injury shortened seasons.

Ahman Green going down this year will not be as big of an issue as it was last year. In my opinion our running game will be, at worst, in the middle of the league.
Old 05-23-2008   #9
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I saw enough flashes of good things last season, even with him dragging leg, that it would be fun to see a healthy Green. He showed some good vision in games.
I would say it was the definition of explosive. He'd get a tiny little crease and he could explode onto the second level. I'll never forget that run where he lowered his shoulder after exploding through the line and just destroyed the safety or LB and ran for another 20 yards. Of course it was week one against KC but if healthy I think he can really be great.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #10
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Of course he is healthy now. He was at this time last season also, but will he be still healthy by week 8. I'm with AJ on this one, I look for a recurrence of the bone bruise on the knee. If he can stay healthy, we will do some nice things in the running game.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
If he can stay healthy he does not have the miles that a typical 30+ year old running back has due to not playing right out of college and having a couple of injury shortened seasons.

Ahman Green going down this year will not be as big of an issue as it was last year. In my opinion our running game will be, at worst, in the middle of the league.
I totally agree. Look what we had last year behind Green. Dayne (pretty sure everyone knows my stance on this guy), Walker (slow UDFA), Gado (Dayne Jr), Etchamofdsgfd (1 run + 1 fumble = C-ya). Heck, Cook even took a few handoffs.

IMO, Green, Brown, Slaton and Taylor will get'r done this season. Getting rid of Dayne instantly adds 200-300 yards to last years total.

Old 05-23-2008   #12
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17175 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

He looked great in both of the first 2 games until the injury at Carolina. I'm hoping he can stay healthy and the young 'uns can learn something from him. I wonder if the Texans will look at carrying 4 RBs on the roster. Maybe just carry 1 FB since they've seemed to carry 3/2 over the past couple of years. Green, Brown, Slaton, Taylor or Walker, and Leach. I guess they could carry 4/2, but that's a lot of RBs to carry out of a 53 man roster.
Old 05-23-2008   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
He looked great in both of the first 2 games until the injury at Carolina. I'm hoping he can stay healthy and the young 'uns can learn something from him. I wonder if the Texans will look at carrying 4 RBs on the roster. Maybe just carry 1 FB since they've seemed to carry 3/2 over the past couple of years. Green, Brown, Slaton, Taylor or Walker, and Leach. I guess they could carry 4/2, but that's a lot of RBs to carry out of a 53 man roster.
IIRC, Green was hurt the very first game against KC and tried to play through it.
Old 05-23-2008   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I really hope Green stays healthy. If he does, I think he'll do really well. He has a lot of speed and quickness still even though he's older. The limited carries we saw him last year, I thought he looked great. However, I think he's gone after this year- barring an incredible pro bowl calibre performance.

The one thing that kind of confuses me is how does he really fit into Gibbs' ZBS? Seems we were taking a lot of player from Denver and Green Bay to help the younger players. Now we're straying away from the Green Bay blocking/rushing style. I think that's a big reason why Chris Brown was brought in the offseason, the coaches think he's a great fit for our new ZBS... but will Ahman be even if healthy? He seems to have the vision, acceleration, and is able to cut so I sure hope so.

All I know if (big if) both Green and Brown are healthy for the season, we're going to be doing VERY well in the rushing department, and that will only help out our passing game.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
IIRC, Green was hurt the very first game against KC and tried to play through it.
I think he was hurt his knee originally in the Arizona preseason game.
Old 05-23-2008   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I think he was hurt his knee originally in the Arizona preseason game.
Oh, I had not heard that before. It has always been said KC by media folk. IIRC, Kubiak even mentioned it a time or two.
Old 05-23-2008   #17
Toro59
Rookie

I wouldn’t hurt me one bit to see them cut Green. He’ll never produce like he use to. Here’s to hoping he’ll prove me wrong…
Toro59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #18
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Oh, I had not heard that before. It has always been said KC by media folk. IIRC, Kubiak even mentioned it a time or two.
Green actually came out of the Week 2 Carolina game due to the knee. But, I remember Green saying he first hurt it in the Arizona game. If someone has a copy of that game, Green takes a helmet-to-knee shot, comes off the field, then re-enters the game. He kept playing, and the knee got progressively worse until he had to leave the Panthers game. It was touch and go the rest of the way, until Green was placed on IR Week 14.
Old 05-23-2008   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Green actually came out of the Week 2 Carolina game due to the knee. But, I remember Green saying he first hurt it in the Arizona game. If someone has a copy of that game, Green takes a helmet-to-knee shot, comes off the field, then re-enters the game. He kept playing, and the knee got progressively worse until he had to leave the Panthers game. It was touch and go the rest of the way, until Green was placed on IR Week 14.
See, I remember that hit being in the KC game. I could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet it was. If my internet wasn't jacked up today I'd look for it.
Old 05-23-2008   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

"Sweet Crunkitude"!!! (To borrow a saying from Vinny)

I'd like Green to stick around long enough to get the 'Texans' version.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read