Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-22-2008   #41
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: OTAs: Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
...and the other times he brings it COMPLETELY upon himself. He played w/ the spirit of a rented mule his first season.
he got beat like one too.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #42
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Can somebody hook me up with a direct link to the 'Day 4 OTA Transcripts' on HT.com? It's locking me up everytime I attempt to click on it.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2008   #43
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Travis played much better last year and showed significant improvement. His play in the past hasn't warranted his selection in the top half of the 1st round. They say there's typically a 3 year learning curve for the DL until they really get the hang of things. I think TJ became a lot more comfortable with the defense this year and I think he'll continue to provide solid play. Not great by any means like we want, but I did see him play with more of a fire last year and seemed to be more places than he would be in the past. I don't think he'll ever make the pro bowl on our roster because he probably won't see the playing time it takes to get there. Okoye will and we'll have that run stuffer next to him instead of TJ (hopefully Okam pans out quickly).

I think at worst, TJ is a great back up to have behind Okoye. He's not what we need next to AO, so we should have a good rotation between the two with Okoye seeing the majority of the snaps.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #44
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Can somebody hook me up with a direct link to the 'Day 4 OTA Transcripts' on HT.com?
Day 4 OTA transcript
Old 05-23-2008   #45
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Travis played much better last year and showed significant improvement. His play in the past hasn't warranted his selection in the top half of the 1st round. They say there's typically a 3 year learning curve for the DL until they really get the hang of things. I think TJ became a lot more comfortable with the defense this year and I think he'll continue to provide solid play. Not great by any means like we want, but I did see him play with more of a fire last year and seemed to be more places than he would be in the past. I don't think he'll ever make the pro bowl on our roster because he probably won't see the playing time it takes to get there. Okoye will and we'll have that run stuffer next to him instead of TJ (hopefully Okam pans out quickly).

I think at worst, TJ is a great back up to have behind Okoye. He's not what we need next to AO, so we should have a good rotation between the two with Okoye seeing the majority of the snaps.
TJ made a huge jump last year. I really expect him to have his best year this year. With the emergence of Wiliams and hopefully an improved Okoye, TJ will come into his own and this will be the year he warrants his first round selection. Like you said, there is a three year learning curve for DT's. Remember TJ got hurt his second year.

I sure hope people dont get down on Okam if he isnt the second coming of Gilbert Brown in his first year. Expectations already seem high. Remember like they say, there's typically a 3 year learning curve for the DL until they really get the hang of things.

Realistically TJ will get most of the snaps this year with Okam coming of the bench replacing Okoye in short yardage and goaline situations. I would really like to see Okoye move over to DE in those situations.

Last edited by mussop; 05-23-2008 at 01:10 PM.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #46
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I hated the TJ pick (05) & still do. his bone headed decisions on/off the field do not warrent a contract extension with this team.

Excatly how many pre-Kubiak players reamain on the Texans anyway?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #47
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I hated the TJ pick (05) & still do. his bone headed decisions on/off the field do not warrent a contract extension with this team.

His bone headed decisions on/off the field? Pleasse explain.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #48
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

thats a pretty ridiculous post that i wouldnt expect from you

he got mad at trent green.. thats it- everybody makes mistakes. and dont even try and use the colts game against him

as to your question, we have 6/7 starters (AJ, Chester, Weary possibly, TJ, Morlon, Dunta, CC) plus kris brown too i guess.. which is bad but not horrible

the probable contribution to the 53 man roster of the old regime players is however: off the top of my head, the only ones i cant think of are cochran, breuner, petey and earl.. thats 11/53 and petey and possibly earl are doubtful to even make that
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #49
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
TJ made a huge jump last year. I really expect him to have his best year this year. With the emergence of Wiliams and hopefully an improved Okoye, TJ will come into his own and this will be the year he warrants his first round selection.

Realistically TJ will get most of the snaps this year with Okam coming of the bench replacing Okoye in short yardage and goaline situations. I would really like to see Okoye move over to DE in those situations.
i like the way he played last year. i agree he'll be better as the rest of the line improves as you've said. I don't see him "playing like a #1 pick" but i think he'll show he's a good football player and warrant a new contract.

to be honest, he may not want a new contract here. he's been in the dog house (somewhat self inflicted and somewhat unfair) since he's been here. he seems like the kind of guy who wouldn't mind going somewhere else. for a fresh start.

for me personally I hope that he does want to be here and I hope we renew his contract as well. that is, assuming he plays as well or better than he did last year.

did anyone here about weaver maybe playing some inside like he did for the ravens?
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #50
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
did anyone here about weaver maybe playing some inside like he did for the ravens?
He was saying something like that on HT.com so maybe something is in the work??
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #51
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 54346 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
thats a pretty ridiculous post that i wouldnt expect from you

he got mad at trent green.. thats it- everybody makes mistakes. and dont even try and use the colts game against him

as to your question, we have 6/7 starters (AJ, Chester, Weary possibly, TJ, Morlon, Dunta, CC) plus kris brown too i guess.. which is bad but not horrible

the probable contribution to the 53 man roster of the old regime players is however: off the top of my head, the only ones i cant think of are cochran, breuner, petey and earl.. thats 11/53 and petey and possibly earl are doubtful to even make that

The mistake was Greens ...in going for TJs knees...
TJ was within his rights the following day when he unloaded on Green.
Tell it like it is Travis.

Old 05-23-2008   #52
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
The mistake was Greens ...in going for TJs knees...
TJ was within his rights the following day when he unloaded on Green.
Tell it like it is Travis.

He unloaded on Green right after the game, and then apologized five minutes later.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #53
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: OTAs

not to mention he didn't know that Green had a concussion. he just knew that he had been blocked illegally and was upset.

and yes... proceeded to say he was sorry after his comments.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #54
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 35326 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO
Default Re: OTA - DAY 5

Some good words of HT.com. A swoop cheer?

Quote:
WR Jacoby Jones

..(on how things have changed from his rookie season) “I’m more comfortable. I know how to practice now, and the game’s a lot slower than when I first walked in the door.”....

LB DeMeco Ryans
(on the linebackers’ “swoop” cheer) “That is our playmaker breakdown. Every day we break it down on playmakers because, as linebackers, we feel like we have to be big-time playmakers out there on the field.”

...(on the progress of DT Amobi Okoye) “Amobi will be ready this year. He’ll step up and he’ll play a lot. He had a lot on his shoulders last year, coming in. I think he tried to do a little too much, and we have a lot of guys on our defensive line rotating in and out so he doesn’t have to do as much. He can go in and work and get somebody to come in and work for him. Keeping fresh guys in there is going to help him out and help the whole defensive line out a lot.”

...(on LB Zac Diles) “Zac’s doing good. It’s a different role for him, a different position. He had to come in and learn a different position, which is kind of difficult. In our linebacker group, you have to be able to play all three positions because you never know how many linebackers you are going to take in the game. You have to be able to play all three positions. All of the guys are learning two positions, which makes them more versatile and makes us more deep as a unit. All of us are the same body type, so we don’t have a prototypical SAM linebacker. All of us can run and are athletic guys.”

...(on the importance of the pass rush) “We’re working on that more as a linebacker group. On the blitz, we are working on our pass rush a lot more. We’re just cutting things down to where we get good at certain things. With our defensive line, Mario (Williams) is definitely getting better, coming off the ball a lot better. They’re going to have to put two on Mario, so that’s going to open up somebody else on the other side.”

QB Matt Schaub

...(on how hard it is to get in a rhythm offensively while rotating running backs) “I don’t think it’s too hard because (in) our running game, you should be able to plug anyone in there and the holes should be there and they should just all run the same. Some guys have a little more burst, obviously, and have a different running style, but otherwise, things are still the same. So no matter who we put in there, we have confidence in all of them that they can go in there and do the job.”

...(on WR Jacoby Jones) “Jacoby’s made a huge step. He’s more mature. He’s more comfortable in the system and knowing what his route adjustments are and what his footwork is and his splits and just everything. Last year, his head was spinning a little bit like any rookie’s would be, but he’s really on top of his stuff and he’s catching the ball. He’s confident in what he’s doing and having a great camp.”

(on if WR Jacoby Jones is more than a deep threat) “Oh, definitely. He’s more than just a deep threat. He’s got fast-twitch muscles and he can stop on a dime; he can come out of his breaks and he can catch the ball. He’s got a lot of athleticism.”

(on working with assistant head coach/offense Alex Gibbs) “It’s been great. I was with him for a few years there in Atlanta, so I know his coaching style, know what he expects and so it’s just been great to have him out here, a familiar voice from my past.”

(on if Gibbs is like a “mad scientist”) “I can see that. That’s actually a pretty good analogy. He is. But the thing is, he’s not cooking up new stuff. He just keeps re-cooking his old formulas up and they keep working, so everyone’s buying into it and we’re getting some production.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #55
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

I'm excited for JJ's prospects to emerge not just as a deep threat but as a receiver like Brandon Marshall, a guy who can make the first defender miss and get a lot of YACs.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #56
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 54346 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstars View Post
He unloaded on Green right after the game, and then apologized five minutes later.
I was thinking it was the following day when he dropped the f bomb on Green.

Either way, TJ was right and Green should have apologized for going for TJs knees.

If TJ had pulled a Haynesworth and tried to stomp Greens face, then an apology would have been warranted.

Again JMHO.

Old 05-29-2008   #57
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

NFL network scrolled at bottom of screen that Green hasn't been in the OTA's because of food poisoning ...but haven't seen a link yet
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #58
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
NFL network scrolled at bottom of screen that Green hasn't been in the OTA's because of food poisoning ...but haven't seen a link yet
Kubiak was quoted on ht.com saying the same thing.

Quote:
(on RB Ahman Green missing practice) “He’s sick. He was really sick this morning and he came in and we took him to the doctor. We think he may have food poisoning. But he’s fine.”
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #59
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I read it somewhere this morning as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #60
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

As taken from the chron; Link:

Quote:
Ahman Green missed the team's workout Wednesday with a possible case of food poisoning.

"He's sick," coach Gary Kubiak said. "He was really sick this morning, and he came in and we took him to the doctor. We think he may have food poisoning. But he's fine."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read