Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-21-2008   #21
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Top 5 WR Corps?

I would put Arizona's duo ahead of Houshmandzadeh and Johnson.
Old 05-21-2008   #22
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I like our WRs as much as the next guy, but you have to have some good koolaid to believe we are in the top 5.

Aj is easily top 5, but after him, we have role players an unproven talent. Good, but not great
I'm not talking about The Texans, I am talking about The Oilers Fab 4 (Jeffires,Givins, Hill, and Duncan). For almost a whole decade those guys destroyed defenses, with hardly/no running game.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #23
langonelives
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
I'll take a stab at it. But I don't have the time at the moment to figure out each team's full WR contingent, so I'll go on the names I know (inexact, I admit), and I may miss some personnel changes.

1. New England. Randy Moss, Donte' Stallworth, Wes Welker. Even if they benefit from Tom Brady's brilliance, it is hard to rate this group below anyone else after the season they just had.

2. Arizona. Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald. Both are complete studs regardless of who they get to replace Bryant Johnson.

3. Cincinnati. Johnson, Houshmandzadeh and Henry. When they are all motivated and out of jail/off suspension, they might be better than anyone else.

4. Green Bay. Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, James Jones and now Jordy Nelson. We'll see if they thrive without Favre, but I think Jennings is a budding star, Driver can still play and Jones showed much promise last year. Nelson will be an excellent player.

5. New York Giants. Plaxico Burress, Amani Toomer, Steve Smith. Maybe a little high for them, but they can all make plays.

I really like our wideouts, but I can't call them top 5. We have one legit star and some complementary pieces (the deep threat, the possession guy, etc.). We're probably in a group with the Steelers, Indy, Dallas and some others.

i dont mind the top 3 but green bay and New york i dont agree with... maybe dallas... ahead of new york... as long as T.O and glenn are healthy.
langonelives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #24
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

The NFLN show that listed the top 10 WR Corp of all time was a joke. They didn't even list the Houston Oiler Fab 4. I'm sorry but those dudes were simply awesome and were way better than some of the old slow guys of yesteryear that they listed. What a crock!!!!
Old 05-22-2008   #25
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
The NFLN show that listed the top 10 WR Corp of all time was a joke. They didn't even list the Houston Oiler Fab 4. I'm sorry but those dudes were simply awesome and were way better than some of the old slow guys of yesteryear that they listed. What a crock!!!!
I never for one second thought the Oilers should be or would be on that list (FWIW, the Marks Bros. shouldn't have been either and Swan/Stallworth should have IMO).

The fact that they had no running game is a problem - if all you can do is pass, then your stats are going to be skewed. Also, of the four main receivers (Hill, Jeffires, Givens and Duncan), not only are there no HOF'ers in the group, I've never even heard anyone's name mentioned in regard to it being a possiblility. Lastly, the fact that none of them ever got to a conference championship - much less a SB - makes it a pretty no-brain decision to leave them off. Check the Top 10 - Every single one of them has either HOF receivers (sometimes 2), SB winners, or both. The only exception was the aforementioned Dolphins, but they at least made a SB appearance.

Great fun to watch, and really exciting, but not even close to Top 10 ever.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #26
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Incorrect. The fact remains that they didn't have a running game and everyone in the world knew they were going to throw the ball. Isn't the point of alot of defenses to put you in 3rd and long. The Oilers would be in a lot of that. Not to mention all of them were getting 80-100 catches a season with 1000 yard seasons and having to share the rock with not 1, not 2 but 3 other receivers starting opposite of them.

Lets also take into consideration their size at the time. With the exception of Haywood, they were pretty much in between 5-7 to 5-9. They got smacked, they got mauled and they still burned people. I know they didn't get to Super Bowls but they did manage to get to 7 (count them) 7 straight play off appearances, and we all know (the game that will not be mentioned) had several blown calls that kept us from our destiny.
Old 05-22-2008   #27
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Incorrect. The fact remains that they didn't have a running game and everyone in the world knew they were going to throw the ball. Isn't the point of alot of defenses to put you in 3rd and long. The Oilers would be in a lot of that. Not to mention all of them were getting 80-100 catches a season with 1000 yard seasons and having to share the rock with not 1, not 2 but 3 other receivers starting opposite of them.

Lets also take into consideration their size at the time. With the exception of Haywood, they were pretty much in between 5-7 to 5-9. They got smacked, they got mauled and they still burned people. I know they didn't get to Super Bowls but they did manage to get to 7 (count them) 7 straight play off appearances, and we all know (the game that will not be mentioned) had several blown calls that kept us from our destiny.
Can't even think about agreeing with you when not a one of them so much as sniffed the HOF or a SB. In fact, of the entire group, the only one who even got an All Pro nod was Jeffires (one time). but since they're obviously in your top 10, who do you bump to get them there (and for this purpose, let's put Swan/Stallworth in the place of Clayton/Duper)?
Old 05-22-2008   #28
camron1269
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 camron1269 was voted MVPcamron1269 was voted MVPcamron1269 was voted MVP

Damn how can people be forgetting about the colts?
Gonzalez went off in the second part of the season, Marvin is still Marvin even if he was hurt last year, and Wayne is now top 3 in the league at least.

And as far as all time WR corps, you HAVE to include Stokley, Harrison, and Wayne. Only trio ever to catch 10 TD each. Also the only trio ever to get 1,000 yards each. The did both in the same year. Not to mention Dallas Clark was still productive as well
camron1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #29
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by camron1269 View Post
Damn how can people be forgetting about the colts?
Gonzalez went off in the second part of the season, Marvin is still Marvin even if he was hurt last year, and Wayne is now top 3 in the league at least.

And as far as all time WR corps, you HAVE to include Stokley, Harrison, and Wayne. Only trio ever to catch 10 TD each. Also the only trio ever to get 1,000 yards each. The did both in the same year. Not to mention Dallas Clark was still productive as well
They were in the NFLN list (Number Nine or Ten IIRC), and Dallas Clark was part of the reason also.

They weren't evaluating a single year, or just WR's, so for example, Marshall Faulk was included as part of the Rams receiving corp. because of the huge presence he had in their passing game. The #1 All-Time team was the Air Coryell Chargers, and both John Jefferson and Wes Chandler were included even though they were never on the team at the same time.
Old 05-23-2008   #30
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Can't even think about agreeing with you when not a one of them so much as sniffed the HOF or a SB. In fact, of the entire group, the only one who even got an All Pro nod was Jeffires (one time). but since they're obviously in your top 10, who do you bump to get them there (and for this purpose, let's put Swan/Stallworth in the place of Clayton/Duper)?
Ernest Givins has been to the Pro Bowl, and if memory serves correct so did Drew Hill.
To answer your question, the old guys they had for the Redskins. I definetly would do that.
Old 05-23-2008   #31
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Ernest Givins has been to the Pro Bowl, and if memory serves correct so did Drew Hill.
To answer your question, the old guys they had for the Redskins. I definetly would do that.
Actually, Duncan made a Pro-Bowl also (and while I can't specifically recall, Webster Slaughter may have made it while with the Oilers too). Pro-Bowls are good (and the Oilers receiving Corp we're talking about was good too), but every year 8-10 Wide Receivers are named to the Pro Bowl. There's only two All-Pro WR's named every year.

I'm curious as to the reason you chose to eliminate the team you did. What do you think makes the Run 'n Shoot Oilers better? The Redskin team you mentioned was a few years before my time (not many, but a few), so I have no first-hand knowledge of them, but 2/3 of the heart of the receiving corp. is now in the HOF (Charlie Taylor and Bobby Mitchell), and the TE for the team (Jerry Smith) was All-Pro a couple of times.

Again, I can't speak to a first-hand evaluation of the "old guys", but I can see that the folks who did see Taylor and Mitchell play chose to put them in Canton, while those watching Hill, Jeffires, Givins, Duncan and Slaughter made no such choice (and I agree with that decision).

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read