Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-22-2008   #61
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 299017 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Okam

Okam is a steal in the 5th round as far as his talent and upside goes. This guy, given time and coaching, will develop into a winner.

We now have the future of the D-line in place, we just need to find a bookend for Mario and we are set.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #62
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
We now have the future of the D-line in place, we just need to find a bookend for Mario and we are set.
I'm thinking/hoping that this could be the year that the light goes on for Earl Cochran. Has anyone heard or read anything about him lately? I would think he has to realize how big of an opportunity he has this year and come to camp in the best shape of his life. I will be disappointed if he doesn’t.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #63
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I couldn't remember who the Texans LB coach was prior to Holland without looking him up (Tom Olivadotti). I'm thinking those drafts would have been equally inept had these lower assistants had input. Other than the assistants the Texans kept (Marciano, Harris, Hoke), I don't know of any others still in the league (wait, Kippy Brown is with the Lions).

Here's a post-draft review of the Texans effort from Scout.com's Tom Marino. Not that I agree with Marino on much of anything he said. He thinks Duane Brown was a major reach. He thinks Molden was drafted in the 2nd round. But, Marino was a scout for 35 years. And his take on the Texans coaches' involvement in the draft is interesting.

As a former scout, Marino is complaining about coaches mucking up the draft process. Scouts watch players all season, then the coaches see them in all star games and workouts and disregard the scouts' opinions. I can see both sides. The coaches should be able to do some grocery shopping, but the scouts have followed the players more closely. Some balance between the two sides is likely needed. Who knows for sure how that plays out for the Texans? Perception is that Brown was an Alex Gibbs pick. Did Gibbs fall in love with Browns measurables, or does he know a winner when he sees one?
Sorry, but the guy lost me at....."Adibi doesn't make plays and lacks playing instincts". I mean, what game film was this guy watching.....all Adibi did was make plays throughout his college career, I think it's pretty safe to say Marino didn't watch much (if any) game tape of most of the players we drafted.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #64
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Sorry, but the guy lost me at....."Adibi doesn't make plays and lacks playing instincts". I mean, what game film was this guy watching.....all Adibi did was make plays throughout his college career, I think it's pretty safe to say Marino didn't watch much (if any) game tape of most of the players we drafted.
Yeah, I was taken aback by what he said.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #65
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
I can see where you are going with that but the difference is once Colt Brennan played against top college talent he looked like garbage paste and Okam played against top talent for the majority of the season. That being said, Okam didnt ever seem to dominate a game like Glenn Dorsey did so I dont think that there is much of a comparison between the two.

I will say this I think the Texans will put him in a position to succeed with the other talent that we already have on the line. And the line minus Okam wasnt the strength of the Texas defense.
That pretty much sums it up.
I thought that without Okam, the Texas D doesn't look good at all.
As opposed to the Tigers who had good players all through the defensive line up. If the LBs and the secondary do their job well, it gives the defensive line that extra 1/2-1 second to create havoc. Something that the Texas D-line did not have the luxury of.
Old 05-22-2008   #66
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I'm thinking/hoping that this could be the year that the light goes on for Earl Cochran. Has anyone heard or read anything about him lately? I would think he has to realize how big of an opportunity he has this year and come to camp in the best shape of his life. I will be disappointed if he doesn’t.
Cochran played fairly well, IMO.
I believed he started getting more playing time when the Texans decided to cut Orr and Weaver was slowed a bit by injury.
I hope Cochran continues to improve.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read