Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-20-2008   #1
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6021 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84
Default Top 5 WR Corps?

Last night I met Joe Montana, yes that Joe Montana. He spoke at a dinner event for a conference I am attending in San Francisco. So I had the opportunity to talk a little football during the cocktail social with Joe for about 5 minutes.

I asked him if he had an opinion about the direction Houston was headed. He said he does not know Kubiak very well but talks to Steve (Young) quite a bit and Steve raves about Kubiak. However, he did say he thinks Houston's WR corps is probably in the top 5 in the league.

The best part was that there were some Cow Pattie fans at the dinner event too. He ragged on them (in good humored way) through out his speech. I was loving it. "Dallas fans we did not have one pick play in the playbook. That would have been illegal. But we had lots of rubbing plays. You can call it a pick if you want but it wasn't a pick. It was a rub." He told some pretty funny stories.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Top 5 WR Corps?

I would've sacked him for the crap he pulled in the dome with the Chiefs. Matter of fact.....forget that dude!!!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

On a lighter note they are having a special on NFL Network today, I think at 7:30pm, talking about the top 10 WR corps of all time.
Old 05-20-2008   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 92090 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
Last night I met Joe Montana, yes that Joe Montana. He spoke at a dinner event for a conference I am attending in San Francisco. So I had the opportunity to talk a little football during the cocktail social with Joe for about 5 minutes.

I asked him if he had an opinion about the direction Houston was headed. He said he does not know Kubiak very well but talks to Steve (Young) quite a bit and Steve raves about Kubiak. However, he did say he thinks Houston's WR corps is probably in the top 5 in the league.

The best part was that there were some Cow Pattie fans at the dinner event too. He ragged on them (in good humored way) through out his speech. I was loving it. "Dallas fans we did not have one pick play in the playbook. That would have been illegal. But we had lots of rubbing plays. You can call it a pick if you want but it wasn't a pick. It was a rub." He told some pretty funny stories.
Hmm....according to NFLN's Top Ten Fueds, Joe and Steve don't talk to each other.

Thanks for the info. Must have been cool to mix it up with Montana, huh?
Old 05-20-2008   #5
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6021 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Hmm....according to NFLN's Top Ten Fueds, Joe and Steve don't talk to each other.

Thanks for the info. Must have been cool to mix it up with Montana, huh?
Yeah. It was pretty cool and he really is a really nice guy. Kind of funny about NFLN. Joe mentioned that he, Young and Ronnie Lott invest together in some business ventures.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #6
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Wow, that's pretty cool to hear coming out of someone like Joe Montana, who has certainly played with enough good WRs to know the difference between a good receiving corp and a bad one.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 92090 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
Yeah. It was pretty cool and he really is a really nice guy. Kind of funny about NFLN. Joe mentioned that he, Young and Ronnie Lott invest together in some business ventures.
I suppose NFLN was just making something out of nothing. LOL.

He seems like a really cool and down to earth kinda guy. He was just on Rome a little while ago. Apparently he has a car in Indy. I think I heard him say that all winnings and donations go towards a childrens fund. If true, that should prove he's a great guy.

I think it was allstarsforkids.com
Old 05-20-2008   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

BOOOOO to the NFLN. I saw that 'Top 10 Fueds' that HOU-TEX mentioned. I liked it that one of the guys said that you will never see those two (Montana and Young) at the same event. The other people interviewed truly made it sound like they didn't like each other.... and now it's some BS love fest.... That's crap.

PS... Agree with El Tejano for that crap at the Dome in a KC uni.

Old 05-20-2008   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Like I mentioned before, they are going to show top WR corps in NFL history on NFLN tonight. I better see the FAB 4 on that list in the top 3.
Old 05-20-2008   #10
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like our WRs as much as the next guy, but you have to have some good koolaid to believe we are in the top 5.

Aj is easily top 5, but after him, we have role players an unproven talent. Good, but not great
Old 05-20-2008   #11
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll take a stab at it. But I don't have the time at the moment to figure out each team's full WR contingent, so I'll go on the names I know (inexact, I admit), and I may miss some personnel changes.

1. New England. Randy Moss, Donte' Stallworth, Wes Welker. Even if they benefit from Tom Brady's brilliance, it is hard to rate this group below anyone else after the season they just had.

2. Arizona. Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald. Both are complete studs regardless of who they get to replace Bryant Johnson.

3. Cincinnati. Johnson, Houshmandzadeh and Henry. When they are all motivated and out of jail/off suspension, they might be better than anyone else.

4. Green Bay. Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, James Jones and now Jordy Nelson. We'll see if they thrive without Favre, but I think Jennings is a budding star, Driver can still play and Jones showed much promise last year. Nelson will be an excellent player.

5. New York Giants. Plaxico Burress, Amani Toomer, Steve Smith. Maybe a little high for them, but they can all make plays.

I really like our wideouts, but I can't call them top 5. We have one legit star and some complementary pieces (the deep threat, the possession guy, etc.). We're probably in a group with the Steelers, Indy, Dallas and some others.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #12
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Like I mentioned before, they are going to show top WR corps in NFL history on NFLN tonight. I better see the FAB 4 on that list in the top 3.
Assuming the NFLN has not yet aired its Top 10 WR shows, here's my predictions for it (in no particular order):

The Air Coryell Chargers (Charlie Joiner, John Jefferson/Wes Chandler, Kevin Duckworth). This is a no-brainer if it is "receiver corps" so Winslow is included.

The Jerry Rice/John Taylor 49ers.

Stallworth/Swann

The early 1990's Oilers.

The Bruce/Holt/Hakim Rams.

Clayton/Duper--if only for 1984 alone.

The 2007 Patriots.

The post-Smurf Redskins (Monk, Gary Clark, Ricky Sanders)

Biletnikoff/Branch

I cannot bring myself to list Cowboys on any such list, so I'll leave myself to 9 guesses.
Old 05-20-2008   #13
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
I'll take a stab at it. But I don't have the time at the moment to figure out each team's full WR contingent, so I'll go on the names I know (inexact, I admit), and I may miss some personnel changes.

1. New England. Randy Moss, Donte' Stallworth, Wes Welker. Even if they benefit from Tom Brady's brilliance, it is hard to rate this group below anyone else after the season they just had.

2. Arizona. Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald. Both are complete studs regardless of who they get to replace Bryant Johnson.

3. Cincinnati. Johnson, Houshmandzadeh and Henry. When they are all motivated and out of jail/off suspension, they might be better than anyone else.

4. Green Bay. Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, James Jones and now Jordy Nelson. We'll see if they thrive without Favre, but I think Jennings is a budding star, Driver can still play and Jones showed much promise last year. Nelson will be an excellent player.

5. New York Giants. Plaxico Burress, Amani Toomer, Steve Smith. Maybe a little high for them, but they can all make plays.

I really like our wideouts, but I can't call them top 5. We have one legit star and some complementary pieces (the deep threat, the possession guy, etc.). We're probably in a group with the Steelers, Indy, Dallas and some others.
I would've put Indy and Detroit's corps in the top 5 instead of GB and NYG.

Harrison and Wayne are explosive and Bill Polian showed forethought in picking Anthony Gonzalez.

Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson will be a dynamic duo and Shaun McDonald put up better numbers then some #2s in the league.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #14
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Air Coryell Chargers (Charlie Joiner, John Jefferson/Wes Chandler, Kevin Duckworth).
Was that before or after the Duck hooped it up with the Blazers?
Old 05-20-2008   #15
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Was that before or after the Duck hooped it up with the Blazers?
Dadgummit. I meant Bobby Duckworth.
Old 05-20-2008   #16
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Stallworth is on the Browns now.

I would probably go:

1. Bengals -- Johnson, Housh, Henry
2. Browns -- Edwards, Stallworth, Jurevicius, Winslow
3. Cardinals -- Fitz and Boldin
4. Lions -- Johnson, Williams, and McDonald

Then at 5 you could go Pats (Moss and Welker), Texans (AJ, Walter, Davis, Daniels) or Packers (Driver, Jennings, Jones,) I would be fine with any one of those teams at 5. So, even if we're not top 5, I think we're close enough for it not to be totally absurd.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
1. Bengals -- Johnson, Housh, Henry
Henry was released last month after his latest bout of stupidity.

The Bungles did take a 3 WRs in this past draft. Jerome Simpson (2nd round), Andre Caldwell (3rd), and Mario Urrutia (7th). Simpson is a small college phenom who played here in the Shrine Bowl. I really like Caldwell as a physical slot receiver. But Urrutia, a big WR out of Louisville, could be a real sleeper. Urrutia had a big soph season, but struggled with a turf toe injury as a junior. It wouldn't surprise me if he's the rookie to inherit Henry's role as a vertical threat.
Old 05-20-2008   #18
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Are you guys doing your rankings based on last season's performance or what you project they should do this coming season?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #19
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

FYI, Henry got cut from the Bungals, and is a Free Agent, but I agree Ocho and Hushmadilla can carry them to the top 5 alone.

And I don't like to talk crap, but New York in the top 5???? As much as I hate mentioning Indy because I really really really dislike them how can you leave them out of the top 5, but Plexiglass, Its not a Toomer, and Steve freaking Smith? Steve Smith had 63 regular season yards last year. Mark Breuner is a better reciever than Steve Smith.
Big Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #20
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Henry was released last month after his latest bout of stupidity.
Doh.

Still think they have the best duo in the league, though with Henry gone I'd probably put the Browns ahead of them.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read