Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-13-2008   #21
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Okam

okam heading into his junior year was a top 10 prospect, was hurt most of the year and in his senior year seemed not to care. prior to his junior year most believed he would be the greatest DT in texas history ( over hampton and rogers). dude has all the potential of dorsey, yet is bigger and taller. if a fire can be lit under his ass he could be the steal of the draft in my opinion. also, the kid is smart, apparently law school was his fall back plan to football. i live in the austin area and he never reached the hype but the talent is there
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #22
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

This guy could be really good. I think he will get thrown into some tough situations to see how he responds.
Old 05-14-2008   #23
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

He looked faster in the tackling dummy drills than I was expecting for a man his size. That bodes well if it tranfers to the field.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #24
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
He looked faster in the tackling dummy drills than I was expecting for a man his size.
Coach Franklin told Okam the last dummy was stuffed with donuts. You could see Frank tear up a little after realizing he had been punk'd.
Old 05-14-2008   #25
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Coach Franklin told Okam the last dummy was stuffed with donuts. You could see Frank tear up a little after realizing he had been punk'd.
I thought I heard him say cheeseburgers.

Either way, Okam was going after it.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #26
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I love it when we draft under the radar like this and give the talking head aholes at ESPiN heartburn when we don't draft like they think we should(as if they've ever watched more than highlight clips of the Texans) and give us poor draft grades. In another 2 years or so, Smithiak will be renowned around the country for their ability to find the draft day diamonds, ala Bill Belichik. I think we had a GREAT draft and got some bigtime players.
Well, look how NE got praised for taking people way to early. They reached on a few players, including a QB in the 3rd. A FREAKIN QB! Whatever, we rock...
Old 05-15-2008   #27
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Well, look how NE got praised for taking people way to early. They reached on a few players, including a QB in the 3rd. A FREAKIN QB! Whatever, we rock...
I don't think they reached at all...Mayo was one of my favorite front7 players in this draft. People tend to praise NE because they draft so well. People tend to not praise us since we had such a miserable draft record leading up to the new management and coaching staff. For the record, NE was reamed up and down for their first draft in the Belicheck era....people were giving them F's and D's and hammered them for "reaching" and passing on "proven talent"...but it turned out to be an outstanding draft.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #28
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I don't think they reached at all...Mayo was one of my favorite front7 players in this draft. People tend to praise NE because they draft so well. People tend to not praise us since we had such a miserable draft record leading up to the new management and coaching staff. For the record, NE was reamed up and down for their first draft in the Belicheck era....people were giving them F's and D's and hammered them for "reaching" and passing on "proven talent"...but it turned out to be an outstanding draft.
I think especially in the upper rounds, you have to be pretty darn sure you want to give THAT much money to THAT guy because of the way the rookie salary cap works. BPA really needs to acknowledge team fit too.

FWIW:

You want to know why Rick Smith keeps on talking about working with coaches and assistant coaches on the draft? Word I heard from Reliant was that Casserly did very little consultation with most of the assistant coaches, and that McNair wanted a better explanation of that than "that's how we do it in the NFL, see."

I've also heard through a pretty decent source that the Texans are one of the few teams in the league that puts together their draft board with tons of imput from both offensive and defensive coaches working all together. That each side of the ball, working with the scouts, works on their draft boards. Then, they all get together and advocate for different players in the draft for their team board. I was told that this approach takes more time than some teams do in the league, but they are happier with the results in the end.

The coaches have to believe in the players they draft or the guys aren't going to be developed well. There were a number of players in the Capers/Casserly era who were penalized because Cass liked them but Capers didn't. (There were also players that Capers adored, that Cass thought were mistakes--they were often not on the same page).

Looking at NE, what did they have before the draft? Old guys at LB. Draft linebackers are guys who if they are good, their skills translate to the field faster than some other positions. NE grabbed their 2008 version of Ryans/Willis--that works out well for them if they can get a DROY no matter where they draft.
Old 05-15-2008   #29
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Word I heard from Reliant was that Casserly did very little consultation with most of the assistant coaches, and that McNair wanted a better explanation of that than "that's how we do it in the NFL, see."
Very irritating, especially considering how often throughout his career Casserly has been quoted as saying: "Well, now, the coaches wanted him, see," when discussing one of the many busts that peppered his drafts....
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #30
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
FWIW:

You want to know why Rick Smith keeps on talking about working with coaches and assistant coaches on the draft? Word I heard from Reliant was that Casserly did very little consultation with most of the assistant coaches, and that McNair wanted a better explanation of that than "that's how we do it in the NFL, see."
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Very irritating, especially considering how often throughout his career Casserly has been quoted as saying: "Well, now, the coaches wanted him, see," when discussing one of the many busts that peppered his drafts....
That doesn't make sense to me. Palmer was in love with Carr and had a ton of input in that pick. Capers & Fangio were supposedly desperate for Babin. And several players selected in the '03 draft had been coached and scouted by the assistants at the Senior Bowl. My understanding has been that Capers and staff's fingerprints were all over those drafts. Mainly because Casserly knew squat about scouting.
Old 05-15-2008   #31
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Okam has a world of potential but he is a little top heavy to be a top DT. He needs to add some meat to those legs so he can get his root down and hold his position. He can then use his quickness, talent, and intellect to bust free from the block and make a play.

The donuts comment seems a bit over the top but if it was done with a little heart it could entice Okam to work on his conditioning and I don't really care how you motivate guys as long as it works. Okam has 1st Round talent no doubt. Hopefully our defensive staff can polish him and keep him motivated because getting a starting DT so late in the draft would be a coup.
Old 05-15-2008   #32
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
That doesn't make sense to me. Palmer was in love with Carr and had a ton of input in that pick. Capers & Fangio were supposedly desperate for Babin. And several players selected in the '03 draft had been coached and scouted by the assistants at the Senior Bowl. My understanding has been that Capers and staff's fingerprints were all over those drafts. Mainly because Casserly knew squat about scouting.
and very little about being a GM as well. he gravy trained his name off of Bobby Beathard. cass is responsible for drafting 2 complete busts as franchise QB...Shuler and Carr. that alone shows him to be inept and we all know that he isn't just prone to bad picks at QB either. The guy is a complete joke and a complete jerk and the fact that he is unemployed in the NFL tells you all you need to know about how he is viewed around the league. He was always so willing to act like he was smarter than everyone and prove himself to be an abject moron.
Old 05-15-2008   #33
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
and very little about being a GM as well. he gravy trained his name off of Bobby Beathard. cass is responsible for drafting 2 complete busts as franchise QB...Shuler and Carr. that alone shows him to be inept and we all know that he isn't just prone to bad picks at QB either. The guy is a complete joke and a complete jerk and the fact that he is unemployed in the NFL tells you all you need to know about how he is viewed around the league. He was always so willing to act like he was smarter than everyone and prove himself to be an abject moron.
obvious case of closet casserly fan imo
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #34
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
obvious case of a closet carr and casserly fan imo
Fixed it.
Old 05-15-2008   #35
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I watched the first half ot the UT-OU game last night.
Seems like Bob Stoops didn''t want anything to do with Okam.
He had him doubled up at least half the time.
Other times, the Sooners would run away from him.

I would have like to see Okam spending less time on the ground though (for whatever reason).
And when OU ran ZBS, the offensive lineman could push him away from the side.

He's a space eater for sure, and isn't slow by any mean.
Somehow I envision that he can be a force if he plays at a lower weight.
He seems to be about half-to-one step away from making great plays.

It was a very good first half for him nonetheless, and he was quite close to be a dominant force.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #36
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's what I thought when the person told me this. But it was from someone who would have known what McNair was thinking about stuff. I didn't get to talk long about this, but I am thinking that this is more the lower assistants. Like what the linebacker coaches thought about linebackers wasn't anything that Casserly wanted to know.

From public information, we know that one of the things that Smith did was to get the player information about current players and college players more together and computerized--that they were very segregated so that there wasn't cross referenceable information. There was an article about that a little while after Smith came on board. I'd show it to you on HT.com but that would be hard to find on search engines.
Old 05-17-2008   #37
Lucky

Quote:
Like what the linebacker coaches thought about linebackers wasn't anything that Casserly wanted to know.
I couldn't remember who the Texans LB coach was prior to Holland without looking him up (Tom Olivadotti). I'm thinking those drafts would have been equally inept had these lower assistants had input. Other than the assistants the Texans kept (Marciano, Harris, Hoke), I don't know of any others still in the league (wait, Kippy Brown is with the Lions).

Here's a post-draft review of the Texans effort from Scout.com's Tom Marino. Not that I agree with Marino on much of anything he said. He thinks Duane Brown was a major reach. He thinks Molden was drafted in the 2nd round. But, Marino was a scout for 35 years. And his take on the Texans coaches' involvement in the draft is interesting.

Quote:
This is what you get when coaches run your draft instead of scouts! An entire year spent preparing and this is the best they can do?
As a former scout, Marino is complaining about coaches mucking up the draft process. Scouts watch players all season, then the coaches see them in all star games and workouts and disregard the scouts' opinions. I can see both sides. The coaches should be able to do some grocery shopping, but the scouts have followed the players more closely. Some balance between the two sides is likely needed. Who knows for sure how that plays out for the Texans? Perception is that Brown was an Alex Gibbs pick. Did Gibbs fall in love with Browns measurables, or does he know a winner when he sees one?
Old 05-17-2008   #38
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did Gibbs fall in love with Browns measurables, or does he know a winner when he sees one?
My guess: A little of the former and a lot of the latter.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008   #39
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

on HT.com Okam is asked who he'd like to play against the most. I love his response...

"...the Titans because I finally will have a chance to sack Vince Young. We never got to touch him in practice at Texas.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4324
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008   #40
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
My guess: A little of the former and a lot of the latter.
I sure hope you're right. I would hate to see a great coach like Gibbs fade off into the twilight of his career with egg on his face. Especially if that egg is thrown by Texans fans....
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read