Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-13-2008   #41
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Solomon: Texans' Franklin gives players something to gripe about

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this point. The two are totally different. Life/Death > Game/Practice.

In the military when you're out on the range and firing weapons it's not all Hollywood'ish with people yelling and such. Your taught control, aim and how to react when there is a malfunction. There's not someone laying down next to you on the floor yelling at you to blast that silhouette like he stole something from your momma. Then again, I can't speak for all services and wouldn't be surprised if some other services did some crazy stuff like that but then again would you be yelling at the guy holding the gun?

None the less Life/Death > Game/Practice.
I don't think I said it was "the same." But just because Life/Death > Game/Practice doesn't mean that the same concept can't apply. They are absolutely not totally different. You can still take lessons from one and apply it to the other.

Even though battle is obviously exponentially greater doesn't mean that a Game isn't a stressful situation where you need to learn to deal with people yelling at you. There have been lots of veterans who played professional football and some of those guys still got so nervous before a game that they puked or had other rituals to prepare their minds.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #42
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Yelling gets a person's attention but often leads to tuning out or wanting to stay out of the screamer's area. As a leader and trainer, the stick (screaming) does not seem to work well, either as a NCO in the Marine Corps or other various jobs I have had. People learn differently & I think it is my job to present the info until I find the way that the learner "gets it". Once he says he got it, the responsibility shifts to him. Most of the guys we have drafted or signed last two years seem to be fairly intelligent and should get the program quickly. I think the quality of the coaching staff has gone up.
Old 05-13-2008   #43
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I don't think I said it was "the same." But just because Life/Death > Game/Practice doesn't mean that the same concept can't apply. They are absolutely not totally different. You can still take lessons from one and apply it to the other.

Even though battle is obviously exponentially greater doesn't mean that a Game isn't a stressful situation where you need to learn to deal with people yelling at you. There have been lots of veterans who played professional football and some of those guys still got so nervous before a game that they puked or had other rituals to prepare their minds.
True to the point that a game is a stressful situation, where you can have adverse physical reactionseven from veterans, but the type of stress and reactions that one would have between a game and battle are very very different.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #44
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
True to the point that a game is a stressful situation, where you can have adverse physical reactionseven from veterans, but the type of stress and reactions that one would have between a game and battle are very very different.
Game situations and battle situations being the same were never anyone's point. My point was that if you want to get people accustomed to working in a hectic, chaotic situation then you make them practice in a hectic, chaotic situation. I mean, there's a pretty big difference between making your bed and having guys shoot at you. Right? And yet in the service, people yell at you constantly without bullets actually flying so that when the bullets are flying and people are yelling at you, you're not going to be as freaked out. You're still going to be freaked out but if you'd never ever had anyone yelling at you before, you'd be even more freaked.

The stress doesn't have to be the same. The stresses can be very, very different. And yet, it works.
Old 05-14-2008   #45
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Game situations and battle situations being the same were never anyone's point. My point was that if you want to get people accustomed to working in a hectic, chaotic situation then you make them practice in a hectic, chaotic situation. I mean, there's a pretty big difference between making your bed and having guys shoot at you. Right? And yet in the service, people yell at you constantly without bullets actually flying so that when the bullets are flying and people are yelling at you, you're not going to be as freaked out. You're still going to be freaked out but if you'd never ever had anyone yelling at you before, you'd be even more freaked.

The stress doesn't have to be the same. The stresses can be very, very different. And yet, it works.
I agree with you. I think I misunderstood what you were saying. Were you in the service too?
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #46
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
Were you in the service too?
No, I didn't serve. I really agonized over that decision when I was young but decided not to go in.
Old 05-14-2008   #47
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Yelling gets a person's attention but often leads to tuning out or wanting to stay out of the screamer's area. As a leader and trainer, the stick (screaming) does not seem to work well, either as a NCO in the Marine Corps or other various jobs I have had. People learn differently & I think it is my job to present the info until I find the way that the learner "gets it". Once he says he got it, the responsibility shifts to him. Most of the guys we have drafted or signed last two years seem to be fairly intelligent and should get the program quickly. I think the quality of the coaching staff has gone up.

Worked on this old man when I was 19 and a boot at MCRD San Diego in 1958...

Not so much once you graduate boot camp though.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read