Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-13-2008   #1
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Unsigned Rookies and OTA's

I understand that OTAs are not actual practices and players aren't wearing pads and there's no hitting, but...

I still can't figure out why a guy like Duane Brown, who stands to make many millions over the course of his career, would risk getting injured during OTA's.

Am I crazy? I mean the O-lineman and D-lineman are coming in contact with each other, right? The one-on-one drills seem like they might very well lead to a strain at the very least or a tear at worst .

Am I missing something?
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Unsigned Rookies and OTA's

They buy insurance contracts.
Old 05-13-2008   #3
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
They buy insurance contracts.
Could they do the same for training camp? I guess training camp is different because that signals when they are actually becoming part of the team?
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #4
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Could they do the same for training camp? I guess training camp is different because that signals when they are actually becoming part of the team?
Training camp is a different beast. You have to be signed to participate in training camp, so if anything happens, they still get their bonus money, at least.
Old 05-13-2008   #5
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
I understand that OTAs are not actual practices and players aren't wearing pads and there's no hitting, but...

I still can't figure out why a guy like Duane Brown, who stands to make many millions over the course of his career, would risk getting injured during OTA's.

Am I crazy? I mean the O-lineman and D-lineman are coming in contact with each other, right? The one-on-one drills seem like they might very well lead to a strain at the very least or a tear at worst .

Am I missing something?
This is how I figure it....

- The more you participate in OTAs, the more you are likely to know going into training camp.

- The more you know going into training camp, the higher you are likely to be on the depth chart. ...all other things (fitness, effort, injuries, etc) being equal

- The higher you are on the depth chart, the more money you are likely to command when contract time comes - unless you're a top-5/top-10 pick, which Brown is not.

...fire away

but I'm a moving target
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read