Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-13-2008   #1
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer
Default Okam

Okam question from someone who doesn't watch UT football:

How was the rest of Okam's line at UT? Is it possible that the rest of his line made him look better, or was he the superstar on that line? Just wondering.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #2
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Okam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
Okam question from someone who doesn't watch UT football:

How was the rest of Okam's line at UT? Is it possible that the rest of his line made him look better, or was he the superstar on that line? Just wondering.
I'm a big Longhorn fan. I can tell you that Okam was a 5-star recruit coming out of high school and he did extremely well his first couple of years at Texas. He underwent a coaching transition that took him from being an attacking monster to being a load meant to take up space and allow the linebackers to make the plays. I believe he is one of the bigtime steals of this entire draft. Can't wait for him to prove me right.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #3
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
I'm a big Longhorn fan. I can tell you that Okam was a 5-star recruit coming out of high school and he did extremely well his first couple of years at Texas. He underwent a coaching transition that took him from being an attacking monster to being a load meant to take up space and allow the linebackers to make the plays. I believe he is one of the bigtime steals of this entire draft. Can't wait for him to prove me right.
I second that!
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #4
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73103 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Orakpo was the best player on that line. He was injured a lot of last year after taking an illegal chop block.

But Okam's job was to take up blockers so the sub-par LBs could have a 50% chance of making a play, which they usually didn't do.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #5
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeh, he was a stud the first couple of years, and then due to his change in role it really seemed to prevent him from playing to his strengths. i think if they hadn't changed the defensive scheme he could have been a first day pick on draft day.
Big Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #6
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Orakpo was the best player on that line. He was injured a lot of last year after taking an illegal chop block.

But Okam's job was to take up blockers so the sub-par LBs could have a 50% chance of making a play, which they usually didn't do.
Bobino is ANYTHING but a sub-par linebacker.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Was he a starter back when he was a sophomore and if so how did he match
up against an outstanding USC OLine in the Championship Rose Bowl game ?
I dunno for sure, but I seem to recall that several members of that USC interior OLine were drafted high into the NFL ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-13-2008   #8
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
Yeah, but guys like Robert Killebrew were.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #9
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

For someone who had "dropped off" his senior year he posted his best statistical year.

Quote:
Voted a captain by his teammates, Okam earned one of the Dr. Nasser Al-Rashid Strength and Conditioning Awards and was named one of UT's Outstanding Defensive Linemen. He picked up first-team All-Big 12 and Academic All-Big 12 honors as a senior in 2007, starting all 13 games. He recorded a career-high 52 tackles (25 solos) with five sacks and 11 stops behind the line of scrimmage. He generated 16 pressures with five pass deflections, a fumble recovery and a forced fumble.
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/517028

Consider this while he was the anchor of the line Texas was usually in the top 15 in run defense.

Nunusguy,

I recall him getting a sack against that vaunted line and probably helped stop that critical 4th down run late in the game against USC.

Last edited by Goldensilence; 05-13-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #10
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Was he a starter back when he was a sophomore and if so how did he match
up against an outstanding USC OLine in the Championship Rose Bowl game ?
I dunno for sure, but I seem to recall that several members of that USC interior OLine were drafted high into the NFL ?
A portion of the 2006 Rose Bowl writeup on Wikipedia:
"...a Reggie Bush 12-yard run took the Trojans to the Texas 13-yard line with 40 seconds to play in the half. However, two sacks by defensive tackle Frank Okam pushed Southern California back 13 yards and forced the Trojans to use two timeouts. Consequently, a Danelo 43-yard field goal allowed USC three points, and the half ended with Texas still ahead, the score then 16-10."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Rose_Bowl

A pic of Okam taking down Leinert in January of 2006:
Old 05-13-2008   #11
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post

I was very excited about the Okam pick... UNTIL, a certain poster reminded me the endless parade of UT homer posts that will follow the player around his entire career and 3 years after the guys is retired from football.

My greatest wish as a sports fan is for a Texan Superbowl, or series of them. A close second has to be for the complete demolition of the UT football program. That way, maybe these ridiculous fans in Austin can learn to appreciate a real coach and actually learn the game of basketball instead of polluting football with their ludicrous homerisms.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #12
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I love it when we draft under the radar like this and give the talking head aholes at ESPiN heartburn when we don't draft like they think we should(as if they've ever watched more than highlight clips of the Texans) and give us poor draft grades. In another 2 years or so, Smithiak will be renowned around the country for their ability to find the draft day diamonds, ala Bill Belichik. I think we had a GREAT draft and got some bigtime players.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #13
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I watch a lot of UT football, I am big fan, I think he was quite a steal where we got him. On top of his massive size, football instincts, and atheleticism for a big man, he is a very smart dude, the kind of headsy player Kubiak and Smith really like and for good reason. I really like this pick.
Old 05-13-2008   #14
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I love it when we draft under the radar like this and give the talking head aholes at ESPiN heartburn when we don't draft like they think we should(as if they've ever watched more than highlight clips of the Texans) and give us poor draft grades. In another 2 years or so, Smithiak will be renowned around the country for their ability to find the draft day diamonds, ala Bill Belichik. I think we had a GREAT draft and got some bigtime players.
Great post, I have been telling a good friend of mine this for at least two years.
Old 05-13-2008   #15
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Great post, I have been telling a good friend of mine this for at least two years.
Yeah, well, I've been telling people that for like 6 years now, and....wait, I shouldn't've told you that. Nevermind.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #16
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Yeah, well, I've been telling people that for like 6 years now, and....wait, I shouldn't've told you that. Nevermind.
Fortunately, there's a new sheriff in town. This team is going to be good. Hang in there....won't be long now.
Old 05-13-2008   #17
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Starting with the LARGE huevos it took to take Mario, to the guts to trade for Schaub AND draft ANOTHER (stud) D lineman in the first last year, Smith and Kubes have what it takes to make the right decision for our team and to hell with what everyone else thinks. This team is FINALLY getting over the train wreck of CC and co. IMHO, things are going to get real interesting, year in and year out, in January for Texans football.
Old 05-13-2008   #18
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Starting with the LARGE huevos it took to take Mario, to the guts to trade for Schaub AND draft ANOTHER (stud) D lineman in the first last year, Smith and Kubes have what it takes to make the right decision for our team and to hell with what everyone else thinks. This team is FINALLY getting over the train wreck of CC and co. IMHO, things are going to get real interesting, year in and year out, in January for Texans football.

Well, the biggest difference is what they do with the middle round picks. These guys are gold in the 2nd - 4th rounds.
On the other hand, I believe Casserly had a value placed on each round and it was something like having a 25% shot at a 3rd rounder cracking your lineup. It's one of the reasons he was so sloppy handing out those picks. And, perhaps that was his ratio: to hit 1 of every 4 in the 3rd, but it's not what these guys do!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #19
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Well, the biggest difference is what they do with the middle round picks. These guys are gold in the 2nd - 4th rounds.
On the other hand, I believe Casserly had a value placed on each round and it was something like having a 25% shot at a 3rd rounder cracking your lineup. It's one of the reasons he was so sloppy handing out those picks. And, perhaps that was his ratio: to hit 1 of every 4 in the 3rd, but it's not what these guys do!
I can go with that to a point, but your really good personnel guys get it done throughout the draft. They draft players not X pick in Y round. It's almost like he just didn't really care after the 2nd round or so. Smith and co. are working their butts off and doing their job from way before draft day til after it's over and getting good UFA's. This is something I'm very happy getting used to.
Old 05-13-2008   #20
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Excellent observation. I remember hearing CC a number of times on the radio talking about how unlikely it was that a certain round pick would make your team. At the time it sounded reasonable to me and I rolled with it. But now, thinking back, it just irritates the hell out of me because it's become clear that he had such a dim view of middle round picks that he would just waste them.

What's even more irritating is how many high picks he wasted as well. It's really a miracle, when you think about it, how far this team has progressed and how quickly it has recovered in the aftermath of the complete incompetence that was Charley Casserly.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read