Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-06-2008   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Defensive playbook

Most of focus has been on draft and Oline and rightfully so. My question is with FA acquisitions, Antwaun Molden CB and Adibi/Diles potential will we get beyond the "basic" defense playbook that Smith reduced to last season? I am interested if we now have the players that he can add a bit more to.
Old 05-07-2008   #2
kravix
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 kravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballotkravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Re: Defensive playbook

I think this all depends on the a) secondary and b) consistent pressure from the front 4. Early in the season we saw a little bit, mid season after we were playing 3rd stringers and new aquired players the def went very bend not break. The last couple of games we saw a bit more agression when the D-Line was playing better and the secondary was starting to come back together.

There was another thread that talked about our def play calling. The one thing that you will almost always see as long as Smith is DC is vanilla def formations with very little movement until the snap. One of the other issues with blitzing besides a weak secondary was just ability and speed. Greenwood and clark were not ideal blitzers, and sending DeMeco in the middle weakened the coverage too much. Corner and S blitzes we out of the question because of the weak secondary.

But to answer your question. Yes. I think we will see more blitzing than last year. Dont expect more than a handfull a game though because that isnt the way Kubes or Smith wants the def to run. We will see more man and press coverage and less zone i think. (I hope cause we sucked in zone coverages last year).
kravix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Agree on zone covg. I am hopeful with the speed of some of our new players we will see more man to man. I love to see a CB stride with the WR and tap the ball away at the last minute.
Old 05-08-2008   #4
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

This may be for another thread all together....but is anyone else think that our DC is WAY sub par?
Old 05-08-2008   #5
Polo

I think our DC has been as creative a playcaller as our talent has allowed him to be
Old 05-08-2008   #6
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

That is a good point.

My thing is before he came to Houston, it was like his 3rd stop in 5 years. I figure he's a "journeyman" as far as coaches are concerned.

The saints game is what did it for me. when it came third and a passing down....you KNEW it was going to colston and they still connected. Yes we won the game and thats what matters but it just seems to indicate that late in the game Richard couldnt tune in to what they were doing.

Im prolly gonna get a lot of static for this but hey, its what forums are for.
Old 05-08-2008   #7
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
That is a good point.

My thing is before he came to Houston, it was like his 3rd stop in 5 years. I figure he's a "journeyman" as far as coaches are concerned.

The saints game is what did it for me. when it came third and a passing down....you KNEW it was going to colston and they still connected. Yes we won the game and thats what matters but it just seems to indicate that late in the game Richard couldnt tune in to what they were doing.

Im prolly gonna get a lot of static for this but hey, its what forums are for.
I don't think he's a great DC...

There's more to it than just coming up with creative schemes...

As a DC you have to have good anticipation, knowledge of your personnel, knowledge of opposing personnel, schemes that are effective + much more...

If we're discussing Richard Smiths anticipation re: when and what defensive plays to call, that is very much debatable...You have to know your opponents tendencies and you have to be a good guesser...

As far as his overall scheme is concerned (what kind of coverage we mostly ran/how much we blitz), I think that is largely dependent on the guys he has playing for him...

I always here folks say "we should blitz more", but who are we supposed to be blitzing ? Morlon ? He's not a good blitzer... I think he's still in single digit sacks for his career... Danny Clark ? LOL....Our DB's ? Demeco is our best blitzer, period but at the same time he's our best LB in coverage...Add all that up with a porus secondary and that doesn't equal a whole lot of blitzing...LB's that struggle to create pressure + an injury depleted already porus secondary....

Yeah lets get exotic with our play-calls....LMAO.....We'd have gotten the snot kicked out of us....

With the addition of Adibi, Molden, A youthful Zach Diles, the maturation of Fred Bennet, Dunta's return, Ray Rhodes with the secondary, The D-line maturing...I expect to see a more aggresive defensive package...

JMO.
Sponsored links
Old 05-09-2008   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I don't think he's a great DC...

There's more to it than just coming up with creative schemes...

As a DC you have to have good anticipation, knowledge of your personnel, knowledge of opposing personnel, schemes that are effective + much more...

If we're discussing Richard Smiths anticipation re: when and what defensive plays to call, that is very much debatable...You have to know your opponents tendencies and you have to be a good guesser...

As far as his overall scheme is concerned (what kind of coverage we mostly ran/how much we blitz), I think that is largely dependent on the guys he has playing for him...

I always here folks say "we should blitz more", but who are we supposed to be blitzing ? Morlon ? He's not a good blitzer... I think he's still in single digit sacks for his career... Danny Clark ? LOL....Our DB's ? Demeco is our best blitzer, period but at the same time he's our best LB in coverage...Add all that up with a porus secondary and that doesn't equal a whole lot of blitzing...LB's that struggle to create pressure + an injury depleted already porus secondary....

Yeah lets get exotic with our play-calls....LMAO.....We'd have gotten the snot kicked out of us....

With the addition of Adibi, Molden, A youthful Zach Diles, the maturation of Fred Bennet, Dunta's return, Ray Rhodes with the secondary, The D-line maturing...I expect to see a more aggresive defensive package...

JMO.
My thoughts also. As quick as Kubes was to subtract players he did not think were helping, I can't see him keeping a DC around that has some decent players but still not jelling. Richard Smith is on a short rope with me.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read