Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-08-2008   #41
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx
Default Re: Dan Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK View Post
Mario is far from a finesse rusher. He has been criticized at times for trying to hard to bull rush on every play and having a lack of pass rushing moves. This, of course, was the gripe before he started playing really well, in the last half of last season. Go back and watch him absolutely level Jahri Evans of the Saints and tell me that his strength doesn't transfer to the field.
Granted but theres only one problem Jahri Evans isnt good at ALL.
Old 05-08-2008   #42
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
...........I consider myself old school when it comes to S & C. Of course my body really can't do any heavy lifting anymore, but I'm always willing to learn.
HOU-TEX,

I consider myself old school too.. That's why the 'ol 16 o.z. curls always worked well for me....

Also, notice the stretching of the lower back...
Old 05-08-2008   #43
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1964 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK View Post
Mario is far from a finesse rusher. He has been criticized at times for trying too hard to bull rush on every play and having a lack of pass rushing moves. This, of course, was the gripe before he started playing really well, in the last half of last season. Go back and watch him absolutely level Jahri Evans of the Saints and tell me that his strength doesn't transfer to the field.
I agree 100%. I remember opposing Olineman commenting on how strong he was. Up until the last half of last season he has relied heavily on his stength and athleticism.
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #44
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
Granted but theres only one problem Jahri Evans isnt good at ALL.
Quote:
Evans nailed down a starting spot at right guard in training camp, as the aggressive young lineman turned heads upon his arrival with his maturity, work ethic and physical play. He became a fixture in the lineup and opened all 16 regular-season games and both playoff contests. A left tackle in college, Evans immediately took over at right guard and made a seamless transition despite his inexperience. In a season where Saints’ rookies made headlines on a weekly basis with their outstanding play, Evans was the lone first-year player to start all 16 games, and his blocking was part of an offensive line that paved the way for the club’s No. 1-ranked offense to average 391.5 yards per contest. Polished in pass protection and rugged when opening holes for the rushing attack, Evans is expected to be part of the foundation of the unit for years to come.
LINK

Quote:
I went back and watched about 5 games of Evans playing right guard for the Saints this year. He is just a great player; he displays excellent technique, great knee bend, uses his hands well, good balance and has a nasty punch out of his stance. If you watched the 2006 playoff game against the Eagles, most of Deuce McAllister's long runs were behind punishing Jahri Evans blocks. Deuce ran for 143 yards with a 6.8 yards per carry average and 1 TD. The 6 foot 4 inch, 318 pound Evans was probably the top prospect coming out of Division II for the 2006 NFL Draft, but still lasted until the 4th round. The Saints got quite a steal.
LINK

I'm sorry, but players that aren't good don't start every game on a team that makes it to their conference finals. Saints fans think this guy is one of the best up-and-coming OGs in the league, and Mario absolutely devastated him. Mario beat the RT, came around the edge, Evans tried to get underneath Williams, and Mario just blasted him. It was great.
Old 05-08-2008   #45
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok, few more things:
TC stated
I believe in muscle specificity like he talks about--but you lift weights, it makes you good at lifting weights. Moving heavy things in action gets all that connective stuff working.

This is one of the problems with lifting on machines. Muscles function in coordinated groups. If the machine stabilizes the load for you then obviously your stabilizers aren't working. We have all heard that you are only as strong as your weakest link, well if your stabilizers are weak then performance will be compromised.

Another big topic in fitness is your "core". One of the best ways to train your core is squats and deadlifts. When you have a load on your shoulders or in your hands and your legs are providing the force to lift the weight the core is very active to stabilize the body. This is definitely a functional way to train the core. The cores main role is as a stabilizer. Think about it if you are attempting to drive someone off the line and you have a weak midsection you will lose energy there and some of the force will be lost. If your core is strong and stiff then more of the force generated by the legs will be transferred to the opponent. All of this related to showing strength on the field. I would rather have an athlete deadlift 400lbs then leg press 1000. I can almost guarantee that if all else is equal my deadlifter will out perform the leg presser on the field.

TC stated
I've become a big believer in things that you do that improve balance and and muscles working in sports-oriented ways. Strength in movement.

If you want to improve strength in sports oriented ways then you better teach athletes to learn to absorb force. The body cannot produce more force then it can absorb. You ever notice that most athletes get injured when they are cutting or trying to quickly change direction? It is because forces were put on the body in such a way that tissues couldn't handle it and they tear. Teaching the body to decelerate is ultra important and guess what is one of the best ways to do this - plyometrics - the same ones Riley says he isn't crazy about.

Also, lifting with a slow controlled negative is not always the best way to train. Using exercises with a fast eccentric contraction and reversal can teach the body to absorb force thus helping prevent future injuries and improve sports performsnce. Of course it goes without saying that it must be performed properly, but when done properly it can devastatingly effective. It all goes back to a couple of comments I made earlier, the forces produced on the football all have some type of time constraint, meaning that everything happens quickly, both force absorption and force production. Your body has an instant to absorb the force of an oncoming tackler, or you have a fraction of a second to generate more force then the guy across from you to knock him back. There are some things you can do in the weightroom to help with this and some of the ways athletes train can actually hinder this. From what I have seen from Rileys stuff and admittedly I haven't seen all his material he may do more of the later. However, very few athletes at the professional level need much performance enhancement, unfortunately the ones that do probably aren't getting what they need. Could you imagine how effective Darius Walker could be if he could run a 4.4 forty!
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #46
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 107472 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
HOU-TEX,

I consider myself old school too.. That's why the 'ol 16 o.z. curls always worked well for me....

Also, notice the stretching of the lower back...
LOL! Yep, this is what I've been limited to as well. I tried arguing with the Doc, but he'd have none of it.

Is that "Special Brew" an import? LMAO!

Nice to see you've done something with your hair. Is that a fohawk?
Old 05-09-2008   #47
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Damn the hair... I got me a beer and a smoke and that's all I need.

Yes, I scraped enough change together for an import... Carlsberg.

Damn the doctor too. He started giving me crap, so I didn't sign the check for the office visit. He eventually came around and told me what I wanted to hear so I signed it... *Little did he know it was someone else's check.*

Life is grand!!
Old 05-09-2008   #48
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 107472 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Damn the hair... I got me a beer and a smoke and that's all I need.

Yes, I scraped enough change together for an import... Carlsberg.

Damn the doctor too. He started giving me crap, so I didn't sign the check for the office visit. He eventually came around and told me what I wanted to hear so I signed it... *Little did he know it was someone else's check.*

Life is grand!!
You look awesome in that photo. Was it professionally done? Where was it taken? You look dressed a bit warm for Houston.

I might have to snag a 40oz OE on the way home today to keep up with your physique.
Old 05-09-2008   #49
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

It was shot professionally by Annie Leibovitz. I have another where I am merely draped in a sheet. It's too hot for the boards, so I have it framed at home. It was actually shot downtown, near my house - the Main Street Bridge. It was December so Annie wanted to catch the 'Essence' that is Texan_Bill..

Old English is swell, but it lacks the punch, carbs and calories of a Carlsberg Special Brew.
Old 05-09-2008   #50
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
It was shot professionally by Annie Leibovitz. I have another where I am merely draped in a sheet. It's too hot for the boards, so I have it framed at home. It was actually shot downtown, near my house - the Main Street Bridge. It was December so Annie wanted to catch the 'Essence' that is Texan_Bill..

Old English is swell, but it lacks the punch, carbs and calories of a Carlsberg Special Brew.
The photo is screaming 'The' Essence of TB.

Forward the TB in a sheet photo if you will. I'm looking at doing a photo shoot for a Biking team. If you notice this photo really doesn't truly show my Zeuslike physique..

Old 05-09-2008   #51
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe they should start taking Flintstone vitamins.
Old 05-09-2008   #52
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
The photo is screaming 'The' Essence of TB.

Forward the TB in a sheet photo if you will. I'm looking at doing a photo shoot for a Biking team. If you notice this photo really doesn't truly show my Zeuslike physique..

I highly recommend Annie Leibovitz. She has techniques she uses that will capture your 'Zeuslike physique'. Quite amazing, really.
Old 05-09-2008   #53
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:

I highly recommend Annie Leibovitz. She has techniques she uses that will capture your 'Zeuslike physique'. Quite amazing, really.
LMAO! Man, we really know how to screw a thread up!
Old 05-09-2008   #54
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

just for the record, jahri evans is an excellent G... however i think its a case of misidentity as D-rek was possibly talking about the saints RT?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #55
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
just for the record, jahri evans is an excellent G... however i think its a case of misidentity as D-rek was possibly talking about the saints RT?
I could be wrong, but I could have swore that Mario beat the RT (Stinchcomb?) and then came around the edge and annihilated Evans before getting to Brees. I could be mistaken though. I tried finding video of it, but came up dry.
Old 05-09-2008   #56
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

nfl.com is great

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8044a8e5

2 mins in.. it was stinchcomb (#78). jahri (#73) is stonewalling the DT
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read