Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-08-2008   #1
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default "Are we REALLY playoff material yet?!"

First of all, I don't think we should view this year's draft class as making or breaking a 2008 run to the Playoffs seriously. If things fit together as the brass expects, this class will impact that run and a few of them will be instrumental to it. Of course, this is all just my opinion and I could certainly be wrong. We'll all see how it plays out on Sundays this Fall. The Texans did go 8-8 in '07, while sustaining countless injuries at key spots and being horrible in turnover ratio.

On the other hand they were a few mistakes and bad bounces away from being 10-6. IF they get overall improvement from the players they had last season, along with some better luck, they're right there. More realistically, I think if we're fortunate, this class could be viewed as another one that helped secure the Texans a place at the Playoff table for the following season and beyond.
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 246310 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Are we REALLY playoff material yet?!"

Given the division we are in we have a little ways to go. Having said that, I've seen teams make the playoffs that I would have never thought (in the beginning of the season) would do that. You never know.

I'm thinking we are possible playoff material if Schaub is the real deal and Gibbs does his thing. And we don't have a lot of injuries.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #3
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

With parity like it is, a team needs a little luck with injuries and get a few breaks on the field and it's possible to go from worst to first. Playing in the AFC South makes that quite a bit harder, but I think the Law of Averages will start working in our favor.

EDIT: OOPS. I was at work, typing in a hurry and talking Giants with a guy.

Last edited by DocBar; 05-08-2008 at 05:08 PM.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 111168 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
With parity like it is, a team needs a little luck with injuries and get a few breaks on the field and it's possible to go from worst to first. Playing in the AFC South makes that quite a bit harder, but I think the Law of Averages will start working in our favor.
Fixed it....

Because the NFC South has gone from worst to first a couple of times.
Old 05-08-2008   #5
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

If the 2007 Titans could make the playoffs (seriously, I still don't think they're that good and VY sucks...Jeff Fisher is doing magic tricks over there) then there is no reason why the 2008 Texans can't make the playoffs.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #6
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Good question.

I think b/c we could have just as easily be 9-7 or 10-6 i DEF believe we are.
Old 05-08-2008   #7
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56461 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

We lost nobody of consequence this off-season and all our talent is either about to reach their prime or are still learning to play in the NFL- either way, we are definitely on a sharp upswing with players like:

Bennett
Demeco
Mario
TJohnson
Okoye
JJones
Diles
ODaniels
Winston
Spencer
Myers
CThompson
Reeves
CTaylor
Schaub
etc...

The only players past their prime on this team are:
Salaam
Bruener
Ferguson
AGreen

Man, the next 5 years are going to be a blast!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-08-2008   #8
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
With parity like it is, a team needs a little luck with injuries and get a few breaks on the field and it's possible to go from worst to first. Playing in the NFC South makes that quite a bit harder, but I think the Law of Averages will start working in our favor.
Quoted to reflect the original flawed text.

I didn't read the original post, but judging from this post, I'd say that yes, it's always possible to make it to the playoffs when it's May. We'll know fairly quickly whether this team is playoff material or not, as our first 5 games, I think there's 3 or 4 playoff teams and most of them are on the road.
Old 05-08-2008   #9
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatexanfan View Post
First of all, I don't think we should view this year's draft class as making or breaking a 2008 run to the Playoffs seriously. If things fit together as the brass expects, this class will impact that run and a few of them will be instrumental to it. Of course, this is all just my opinion and I could certainly be wrong. We'll all see how it plays out on Sundays this Fall. The Texans did go 8-8 in '07, while sustaining countless injuries at key spots and being horrible in turnover ratio.

On the other hand they were a few mistakes and bad bounces away from being 10-6. IF they get overall improvement from the players they had last season, along with some better luck, they're right there. More realistically, I think if we're fortunate, this class could be viewed as another one that helped secure the Texans a place at the Playoff table for the following season and beyond.

No telling. Shanahan Sr. says it takes about 3 years for a QB to get adjusted to the Denver style offense--that means Sage is in year 3 and Matt is in year 2 (with a WCO background).

One thing to add to your 8-8 horribles is that not only did they have the injuries, and the bad turnover ratio, but they had the 30th ranked offense in the league (depending on whose stats you look at). If they can get their turnovers just average and their defense average and Andre is Andre, you never know.

There were times last year that they looked like they could crush anyone in the league. And of course, times last year where it looked like nothing could go right.

They need luck and to make their own luck.

They need to survive the first month of the season. Road games against hard teams are not the easiest way to build confidence, but then again, who inked in a decisive win against the Panthers on the road last year?
Old 05-08-2008   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Matt is in year 2 (with a WCO background).
I know you qualified about the background, but I really don't see treating or expecting Matt to perform as a 2nd year player this year. In other words, I am holding to a higher standard than that.

Quote:
they had the 30th ranked offense in the league (depending on whose stats you look at).
In what?

Total offense--14th
Passing--11th
Rushing--22nd
Points--12th

Did you mean defense?
Old 05-08-2008   #11
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I know you qualified about the background, but I really don't see treating or expecting Matt to perform as a 2nd year player this year. In other words, I am holding to a higher standard than that.

In what?

Total offense--14th
Passing--11th
Rushing--22nd
Points--12th

Did you mean defense?
Our offense was great considering we missed Dre for half the season. If our D gets even to the middle of the pack its Playoffs for sure.
Old 05-08-2008   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
Our offense was great considering we missed Dre for half the season. If our D gets even to the middle of the pack its Playoffs for sure.
No, half of the offense (passing game) was okay. The other half (running game) was pathetic.

Old 05-08-2008   #13
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
No, half of the offense (passing game) was okay. The other half (running game) was pathetic.

We were in the middle third of the NFL in rushing yards and TDs. Not fantastic by any stretch, but not pathetic either.
Old 05-08-2008   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Marginal Playoff material. So we got a shot.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK View Post
We were in the middle third of the NFL in rushing yards and TDs. Not fantastic by any stretch, but not pathetic either.
IMO, it was pathetic in regards to how many yards were left on the field every Sunday. Ron Dayne = Pathetic.
Old 05-08-2008   #16
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56461 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
No telling. Shanahan Sr. says it takes about 3 years for a QB to get adjusted to the Denver style offense--that means Sage is in year 3 and Matt is in year 2 (with a WCO background).

One thing to add to your 8-8 horribles is that not only did they have the injuries, and the bad turnover ratio, but they had the 30th ranked offense in the league (depending on whose stats you look at). If they can get their turnovers just average and their defense average and Andre is Andre, you never know.
Well, Schaub was in Atlanta for three years during the period of time that Gibbs was there and installed his system. So, Schaub is very familiar with the offense. I think the only question concerning Schaub is his ability to stay healthy. If he can, I think he's immediately in that second tier of QBs after Palmer, Brady, and Manning.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #17
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
I think if Andre stays healthy all year, we are going places.

2008 is the year all the Texans bashers eat crow and shut up about our "bad O-line," etc.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #18
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1965 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think if we can manage a winning record after the first five games then we definately have a shot.
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #19
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 246310 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimeTexanFan View Post
I think if we can manage a winning record after the first five games then we definately have a shot.
If we're 3-2 after those first five games we'll have shown enough that playoff talk is reasonable.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #20
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

i think 10 wins will get us into the playoffs due to the tie breakers in head to head competition. it all comes down to injuries, however i can't help but think we're deep everywhere but the secondary ( can't help it, our secondary makes everyone look good ). of course a positive TO ratio will help. we have to at least go .500 in the division also. playoff talk in houston is legit this year
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read