Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-06-2008   #21
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Plans to Acquire Defensive End

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
I'm not very upset about it, but I must say I would have rather had Brian Johnston with the 6th rounder rather than a SS.

THAT SAID.... I don't resent the pick at all. Rick and Gary have a proven track record, like you said, and I am happy that professionals are making the picks and not me.
What he said
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #22
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I'm guessing they like Cochran (and Kalu as a situational pass rusher) more than most people think as well.

I agree about Cochran. However, I think we'll see Chauncey Thompson off the edge this season on some 3rd and longs. He played some OLB in a 3-4 and has a lot of speed and athleticism. So, I think that a combination of Weaver, Cochran, Kalu, and Thompson should certainly have more success than last year.

Situationally, we're going to be much stronger on the DL. Having Okam for short yardage will help our interior run defense as well. Hopefully, they'll be willing to spell Okoye and make him more effective- particularly on passing downs.

I think the DL situation is pretty well set:

mario
cochran
weaver
kalu
okoye
travis johnson
maddox
okam

should be the eight linemen on the roster plus Thompson will drop down from the LB spot. I really like our depth this year. goodbye Zoniga!!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #23
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Defensive end???? Who? What plans? 'Plans to acquire' sure sounds like a TRADE brewing somehow!
What does everybody think about a Michael Boulware for Jason Babin trade?
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #24
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Sage for Mark Anderson....
Old 05-07-2008   #25
Polo

I'm and Earl Cochran guy...

I think he's a pretty good ball player...high motor, decent athleticism...

Cochran, ND, And Thompson should provide decent pressure opposite mario...We still would be better served having one reliable player there, but I think we can roll with what we've got...
Old 05-07-2008   #26
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 55166 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's going to be interesting to see how Okam does. That is one huge man. If he can be the two-gap tackle we;ve needed, it should make things easier on our DE's. This will be even more evident if Okoye improves in his second year. IMO, we could have a pretty formidable defensive front and with some solid LB play ( I really like how we look on paper there) maybe even make our secondary look good.
Old 05-07-2008   #27
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I think it's going to be interesting to see how Okam does. That is one huge man. If he can be the two-gap tackle we;ve needed, it should make things easier on our DE's. This will be even more evident if Okoye improves in his second year. IMO, we could have a pretty formidable defensive front and with some solid LB play ( I really like how we look on paper there) maybe even make our secondary look good.
I think Okam and Okoye will make an OK duo (wow, that was bad).

Seriously, Okam should be able to take up blockers and free things up for Amobi to do his thing, keep blockers off Demeco, and help the overall play of our defense vesus the run. I wouldn't be surprised if he was logging major playing time for us sooner rather than later.
Old 05-07-2008   #28
krocket
Rookie

Rep Power: 135 krocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Hmmm. ...Although.. who was that undersized rusher they were talking about? ...
Seems I recall that someone was talking about a person we were interested in during the draft that was similar in stature to Elvis Dumerville. Don't remember who though. Maybe with that clue someone else can tell you who...ROY ?
krocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #29
kravix
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 kravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballotkravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I would add Zgonia or Maddox as the 9th DL on the roster. I cant remember if Kubes carried 9 or 10 last year?

TJ played extremly well and now actually seems like a part of the organization rather than the loner he was, and even though Okam has size I dont see him taking the starting spot. He will be in the rotaion most likely and maybe in 2-3 years could become a starter. Granted the DL roation means pretty much everyone that is active on game day gets plenty of play time.
kravix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #30
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 55166 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kravix View Post
I would add Zgonia or Maddox as the 9th DL on the roster. I cant remember if Kubes carried 9 or 10 last year?

TJ played extremly well and now actually seems like a part of the organization rather than the loner he was, and even though Okam has size I dont see him taking the starting spot. He will be in the rotaion most likely and maybe in 2-3 years could become a starter. Granted the DL roation means pretty much everyone that is active on game day gets plenty of play time.
After stopping and thinking about it for a month or three, I'm of the opinion that TJ played extremely well compared to previous years. He STILL wasn't as much a force as his "measurables" say he should be. It seems like he's playing harder to keep his roster spot than because he has suddenly developed a passion for the game. Add to that some questionable calls against him, I wouldn't be surprised if one of our walk ons takes his roster spot for good. I'm sure he would be gone if we had any decent offers for him.
Old 05-07-2008   #31
Polo

Statistically and Consistency wise TJ was our best DT last year.

Why would we get rid of him ? That'd make no sense at this point.
Old 05-07-2008   #32
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
I definitely like N.D. "Karate Man" Kalu as the 3rd down/pass rusher. Weaver is our big run stopper. Hopefully we can find another Mario, who is both of those and more.

Exactly. A great D-line does more for the secondary than vice versa.
Of course the term coverage sack mean the D-Line caused the sack not the secondary.
Old 05-07-2008   #33
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I was hoping to take a flyer on Tommie Blake. Guy has all the measureables to be a complete force opposite Mario if he can keep his head on.

Other then that I am guessing we'll be looking at June 1st cuts.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #34
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Statistically and Consistency wise TJ was our best DT last year.

Why would we get rid of him ? That'd make no sense at this point.
I'd agree with this. Zgonina and Maddox are blown off the LOS more often than not. It'd be nice if Okam turns out to be a diamond in the rough.
Old 05-07-2008   #35
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Of course the term coverage sack mean the D-Line caused the sack not the secondary.
It means the coverage was so good the QB had to hold on to the ball and gave time for the DL to get there.
Old 05-07-2008   #36
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

My thoughts

Okam may turn out to be a steal at where we got him if he wants to play and not become an attorney. He must have been better than any DE available at his pick.

Weaver and TJ will have spotlight on them this season & I expect both do much better this year.

LB should be improved even if only a little, especially if Adibi does as well as some think.

RCB is still a puzzle to me. Reeves should get start with Molden maybe doing a Bennett later. I have moved DR off my plate for now.

Dominique Barber is FS per NFL draft scout with SS/CB as 2nd position. Size is good for either. Speed not what I want but ok for the box.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=33308
Old 05-07-2008   #37
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Sage for Mark Anderson....
Shall we all pray that this happen.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #38
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK View Post
Does that make our DL the Showdown at the OK Coral.

Time to wrangle us some quarterbacks.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #39
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK View Post

Seriously, Okam should be able to take up blockers and free things up for Amobi to do his thing, keep blockers off Demeco, and help the overall play of our defense vesus the run. I wouldn't be surprised if he was logging major playing time for us sooner rather than later.
That's the whole Gd point about Okam. When he was sophmore Okam had a better first step than Okoye did. He's too big @ 347. If they can trim him down to 315 or lighter, that's where he needs to be. It's that first step quickness that put Okam on the map, and makes him more than just another fat guy.
Old 05-07-2008   #40
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
My thoughts

Okam may turn out to be a steal at where we got him if he wants to play and not become an attorney. He must have been better than any DE available at his pick.

Weaver and TJ will have spotlight on them this season & I expect both do much better this year.

LB should be improved even if only a little, especially if Adibi does as well as some think.

RCB is still a puzzle to me. Reeves should get start with Molden maybe doing a Bennett later. I have moved DR off my plate for now.

Dominique Barber is FS per NFL draft scout with SS/CB as 2nd position. Size is good for either. Speed not what I want but ok for the box.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=33308
I think Okam struggling a bit his senior season coupled with thinking about law school post NFL made his value drop to the fifth. The later I think was overblown.

My biggest question on LB if someone has a great TC does Greenwood get pushed?

I'm not sure what to expect from Molden honestly. Bennett was playing against SEC talent as opposed to who Molden faced.

TC will be a very interesting one.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read