Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-06-2008   #1
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Plans to Acquire Defensive End

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4301

Down at the bottom of the page, it says...

Quote:
Click here for exclusive information from general manager Rick Smith about the Texans' plans to acquire a defensive end from Monday's “Texans Today” podcast.
Can someone translate/transcribe!? PLEASE!? Deaf guy here so listening to the PodCast isn't exactly something that I can do!

Defensive end???? Who? What plans? 'Plans to acquire' sure sounds like a TRADE brewing somehow!
Old 05-06-2008   #2
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Plans to Acquire Defensive End

He was saying he's doing his homework and hoping to get lucky for another DE. Undrafted guy or even someone from the waiver wire I am sure is what he meant.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #3
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Hoover View Post
He was saying he's doing his homework and hoping to get lucky for another DE. Undrafted guy or even someone from the waiver wire I am sure is what he meant.
Yeah, that's probably what he meant but that key word "acquire" is very intriguing.
Old 05-06-2008   #4
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Good find Nitro!!

Here comes Jason Taylor........

kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #5
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42947 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post

Can someone translate/transcribe!? PLEASE!? Deaf guy here so listening to the PodCast isn't exactly something that I can do!

Defensive end???? Who? What plans? 'Plans to acquire' sure sounds like a TRADE brewing somehow!
He said they will continue to grind and find that diamond in the rough. They would have liked to of added that undersized pass rusher in the draft but he likes the team and the football players. Says the team is much improved and ND Kalu was one of the better pass rushers last year.

Sounds like he likes he team as is to me.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #6
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

still can't believe we didn't draft a DE, i believe smith will find one though
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #7
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

NitroHonda. I have to say that even as a hearing person, I'm not a big fan of the podcast. Too much of a pain for not much value. I personally like it better when they have video content with also a written transcript. Especially for something as innocuous as saying, "we're looking for a defensive end opposite Mario" Duh.

I suggest contacting the Houston Texans, and politely letting them know that you prefer the videos with the written transcripts. Here is their contact information.
Old 05-06-2008   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
still can't believe we didn't draft a DE, i believe smith will find one though
Given that we had only 5 draft picks prior to the start of the draft, we are lucky to have who we've got. There was no sense drafting a DE low if he wasn't better than who the Texans already have on the roster.

For example, I am REALLY happy with the Okam pick in the 5th round because I think: a. he was a good value in that spot and b. that is a need of the team that may not be obvious to some, but a big body is pretty important when you play in a division that has two teams that very much emphasize running the ball.
Old 05-06-2008   #9
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Text transcription

Brooke Bentley: Who will the Texans get to rush the passer opposite Mario Williams? GM Rick Smith gives us some clues. But first, Texans All-Access is on Thursday, May 29th, at Reliant Stadium. This event is for all Texans season ticket holders and sponsors, and will feature the entire Texans 2008 team and cheerleading squad. For more information, go to houstontexans.com.
GM Rick Smith has just finished drafting 7 rookies and signing a handful of free agents, but he is not done putting together his team. Smith is in the market for a defensive end to play opposite Mario Williams. Here's what he had to say about his prospects.

Rick Smith: We will continue to grind, and to try and see if we can find that diamond in the rough, as they say. I think our football team has improved, and we would have liked to have added this undersized pass rusher that we didn't get, but I think we've got some quality players on our team. I think that N.D. Kalu was one of our better pass rushers last year, so I think we'll be fine.
Old 05-06-2008   #10
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK View Post
Text transcription

Brooke Bentley: Who will the Texans get to rush the passer opposite Mario Williams? GM Rick Smith gives us some clues. But first, Texans All-Access is on Thursday, May 29th, at Reliant Stadium. This event is for all Texans season ticket holders and sponsors, and will feature the entire Texans 2008 team and cheerleading squad. For more information, go to houstontexans.com.
GM Rick Smith has just finished drafting 7 rookies and signing a handful of free agents, but he is not done putting together his team. Smith is in the market for a defensive end to play opposite Mario Williams. Here's what he had to say about his prospects.

Rick Smith: We will continue to grind, and to try and see if we can find that diamond in the rough, as they say. I think our football team has improved, and we would have liked to have added this undersized pass rusher that we didn't get, but I think we've got some quality players on our team. I think that N.D. Kalu was one of our better pass rushers last year, so I think we'll be fine.
Hmmm. Sounds disappointing. I judged this book by its cover. I shouldn't have. Ugh. I really got excited. Smith didn't use the word acquire, the Texans website did. Misleading.

Although.. who was that undersized rusher they were talking about? Anyone have any idea or is it just wishful thinking that we'll ever know? It really sounds like this defense wants to become very small considering our smallish LB corps as well as Dunta and... or is that it?

TexansChick,
Will do! Much obliged!
Old 05-06-2008   #11
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

You can't fill all your needs in one offseason.

We did amazing just to get the players we got.

I don't understand why some fans are freaking out about the DE position.

It's true that we don't have any stars opposite Mario, but we do have some viable options.

We filled our biggest needs so far, so I'm pretty happy with what we have done. If we grab a DE somewhere then that's great, but I'm not gonna be too upset if we don't.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #12
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think they are expecting Anthony Weaver to be a bigger impact this year.

They say he was banged up all last year and that he will be back better than ever this year... time will tell.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #13
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

It's true that we don't have any stars opposite Mario, but we do have some viable options.

We filled our biggest needs so far, so I'm pretty happy with what we have done. If we grab a DE somewhere then that's great, but I'm not gonna be too upset if we don't.
Well of course, we know that. You have to keep in mind that this is season two of our transformation. Not just the one season as you're implying.

I'm most certainly not freaking out over the DE position. What I'm freaking out over is change. Everytime there's an addition or deletion to my Houston Texans football team, you better realize that I'm going to perk up my ears and try and understand/welcome/disaprove that change. The headline that I got out of that quote led me to believe that we may be talking trade. I'm very very interested in that anyway you look at it no matter what position or player it involves. It's a change to the Houston Texans and that affects me as a fan. It means that my player loyalties may need changing.
Old 05-06-2008   #14
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well of course, we know that. You have to keep in mind that this is season two of our transformation. Not just the one season as you're implying.

I'm most certainly not freaking out over the DE position. What I'm freaking out over is change. Everytime there's an addition or deletion to my Houston Texans football team, you better realize that I'm going to perk up my ears and try and understand/welcome/disaprove that change. The headline that I got out of that quote led me to believe that we may be talking trade. I'm very very interested in that anyway you look at it no matter what position or player it involves. It's a change to the Houston Texans and that affects me as a fan. It means that my player loyalties may need changing.
I'm not implying that this is our first year of transformation. I'm saying that we had a lot of needs to fill this year, and we filled a lot of them, but you can't always find everything you need.

And I'm definitely not talking about you in particular. It was more directed toward all the fans who were pissed off that we didn't draft a DE in the last two rounds.

I understand the fans just want the team to get better, but the current regime has already proved that they know what they are doing. So if they don't think we need a DE, then I don't think there is any reason for us to get one.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #15
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
I'm not implying that this is our first year of transformation. I'm saying that we had a lot of needs to fill this year, and we filled a lot of them, but you can't always find everything you need.

And I'm definitely not talking about you in particular. It was more directed toward all the fans who were pissed off that we didn't draft a DE in the last two rounds.

I understand the fans just want the team to get better, but the current regime has already proved that they know what they are doing. So if they don't think we need a DE, then I don't think there is any reason for us to get one.
Every single team needs upgrading somewhere. Until the day that a NFL team is able to have the players on the All-Madden team at one time, there will always be room for improvement. Even the Patriots needed improving. The Giants proved that right at the last moment, didn't they?

And I wasn't referring to me in particular either. I'm sure many many people feel the way I do about changing the makeup of our team.

Anyway, not really trying to argue with you. Just... eh. The offseason is really slow.

I'm thinking that something's in the air. Friday's the deadline. Don't be surprised to see something happen. Despite the misleading title by HoustonTexans.com, I'm still thinking that there may be some truth to it. Hoping? I don't know but thinking sure is a strong possibility! If so, before Friday would be best. I'd really like for our complete team to go into the minicamps and come out of preseason joined as one.
Old 05-06-2008   #16
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm not very upset about it, but I must say I would have rather had Brian Johnston with the 6th rounder rather than a SS.

THAT SAID.... I don't resent the pick at all. Rick and Gary have a proven track record, like you said, and I am happy that professionals are making the picks and not me.
Old 05-06-2008   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm guessing they like Cochran (and Kalu as a situational pass rusher) more than most people think as well.
Old 05-06-2008   #18
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

that's what i'm saying, i'd rather take a chance at finishing the front line than the secondary
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #19
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I'm guessing they like Cochran (and Kalu as a situational pass rusher) more than most people think as well.
I definitely like N.D. "Karate Man" Kalu as the 3rd down/pass rusher. Weaver is our big run stopper. Hopefully we can find another Mario, who is both of those and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
that's what i'm saying, i'd rather take a chance at finishing the front line than the secondary
Exactly. A great D-line does more for the secondary than vice versa.
Old 05-06-2008   #20
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Of the known options, Cochran is the guy who has the chance to improve. While I am pretty sure that he has the real burst it takes to be an elite pass rusher, there is something to him and not out of the question that he could at least get to the solid/avereage category of player.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read