Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-02-2008   #61
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP
Default Re: 2008 O-Linemen

I like Spencer and all, but personally I dont see him being in game shape soon enough to start anywhere on the line. I'm thinking he starts as interior rotation, then if he gets in shape they make him the swing man at the 2 tackle spots. I think it will also depend on how good a start Studdard and Frye have as to how far down the chart Spencer falls.
Old 05-02-2008   #62
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

I for one would like to see McKinney resigned. Plays both C & G and probably could be had cheap and would provide instant depth....
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008   #63
Polo

I like McKinney, but I don't want him taking a roster spot away from a young talented player...
Old 05-02-2008   #64
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
I'm thinking he starts as interior rotation.
They don't rotate the Oline.

Quote:
I think it will also depend on how good a start Studdard and Frye have as to how far down the chart Spencer falls.
So total pessimism about Spencer and total optimism about Studdard and Frye. I don't get it. Spencer beat out a starting quality guy as a 3rd round rookie. Studdard and Frye hopefully have potential but they haven't achieved anything close to that. There is no more reason to think Spencer will not recover his former performance than there is to believe Studdard and Frye are going to challenge for starting spots.
Old 05-03-2008   #65
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
They don't rotate the Oline.

So total pessimism about Spencer and total optimism about Studdard and Frye. I don't get it. Spencer beat out a starting quality guy as a 3rd round rookie. Studdard and Frye hopefully have potential but they haven't achieved anything close to that. There is no more reason to think Spencer will not recover his former performance than there is to believe Studdard and Frye are going to challenge for starting spots.
When I said rotation I probably should have said depth chart. Rotate as in rotate backups in and out to spell the starters. I'm not totally pessimistic, just very cautiously optimistic. Training / practice shape is one thing, game shape is totally different. I guess you don't think his injury was that serious? It was very serious as was Dunta's. I thought we were talking about who would start come opening day, and as far as that goes, no, I'm not that optomistic about spencer being a starter at any of the O-line positions, but he will probably play and will get in better and better shape as the season goes on I think. Time will tell.
Old 05-03-2008   #66
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
Rotate as in rotate backups in and out to spell the starters.
I am still not getting your point. They don't spell the starters on OL. They only come out for injury. On OL if you ain't the starter you are sitting on the bench except for special teams plays.

Quote:
I guess you don't think his injury was that serious?
No it was a horrendous injury, but one which come start of the season will be two years old. Beyond that, none of us knows. The Texans apparently think he is going to be back or they would injury settle him and be done.
Old 05-03-2008   #67
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Because you have a guy at LG who is a four year starter and no clear starter at RG. Why make two guys change position instead of one?
Yes but that's the point Kac, you have two canidates who could play there(RT) in Pitts and Spencer. & I believe Pits gets cut befor he stays at left gaurd in this system. They paid him, but Weary is on his way out too.
Old 05-03-2008   #68
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I am extremely happy that we've addressed the OL in the offseason. Its always been an achilles heel of our's and we've always taken baby steps to correct it.

But this offseason we've added Alex Gibbs to the coaching staff, a solid starting young center in Chris Meyers who has experience in the type of scheme we'll be running, and a 1st round LT who is a prototypical ZBS LT and a great athlete.

Not to mention the depth on the OL by resigning Weary and assuming Spencer is able to positively contribute this season along with another year of experience for our younger guys on the OL.

We tip toed the line between overhauling the OL where chemistry would be an issue and doing enough to make substantial changes while not affecting the chemistry already developed on the OL.
Old 05-05-2008   #69
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

2008 starting O-line:
Brown - Pitts - Myers - Spencer - Winston

bench
Salaam, Weary, Eslinger, Brisiel, Butler

The Texans apparently resigned Weary to a one year contract, so it looks like Studdard will be on the practice squad along with Chris White. Frye and Black probably get cut.
Mr PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #70
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If Spencer's healthy I could see it going down like that MR. PC
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #71
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If Spencer can get into his previous form then I think our line could in fact be the best in the league. And besides I like having a mauler type blocker in the middle to contain guys like Haynesworth and henderson.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #72
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

I see this turning out two ways by the end of next season:

Spencer - Pitts - Myers - Winston - Brown

This is assuming that Myers beats out competition at Center (which I think he will) and Spencer comes back healthy. The second scenario assumes that Spencer comes back 100% and becomes what we hope he could be. I think Brown would make a monster RT.
Old 05-05-2008   #73
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr PC View Post
2008 starting O-line:

bench
Salaam, Weary, Eslinger, Brisiel, Butler

The Texans apparently resigned Weary to a one year contract, so it looks like Studdard will be on the practice squad along with Chris White. Frye and Black probably get cut.
We may grow into that by the end of the season, but I doubt very much we open that way. By 09 though, that could be a very good line if all things workout.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read