Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-29-2008   #21
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Re: Ryan Grice-Mullins

Mullins ran a 4.3? That's blazing, usually a guy with that kind of speed and production will get drafted at some point but I guess the system stigma got him.

I think it will be an interesting battle in TC between him and Anderson. Mullins adds the speed dimension but Anderson has the experience on his side. Both were productive in college but I think Anderson's experience on ST wins him the spot in TC.
Old 04-29-2008   #22
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
donno but everyone is looking at what the Patriots did with the smallish but electric Wes Welker. The Patriots forced teams to keep 3CB's on the field or there was usually an unstoppable short pass to Welker in the open field running with a player that needs help from either the sideline or another defender to keep up. The Rams taking Donnie Avery points to the Rams playing Avery like the Pats used Welker last season. Earnest Givins would be great for this role. We probably see Slaton used in the slot some.
Alot of people are saying, that Slaton was the wise choice way of drafting a player like Reggie Bush. I too see him lining up in the slot.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #23
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not too sure I want to see Slaton matched up against a CB with similar speed and maybe 3 inches on him. I see him more on mismatches against LB and quick release passes 3-5 yards past los where he might allude a tackle and pick up ground. Also, on end arounds as we witnessed last year.
Old 04-29-2008   #24
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 132014 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I'm not too sure I want to see Slaton matched up against a CB with similar speed and maybe 3 inches on him. I see him more on mismatches against LB and quick release passes 3-5 yards past los where he might allude a tackle and pick up ground. Also, on end arounds as we witnessed last year.
What happens is that when you have a guy this fast in the slot you take the defense out of their base defense...forcing teams to put their nickel cb in the game when they may prefer to stay in their base alignment. Teams either have to put in their 3rd best cover corner in the game and go small or zone the slot with slower, larger guys....pick your poison.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #25
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Mullins ran a 4.3? That's blazing, usually a guy with that kind of speed and production will get drafted at some point but I guess the system stigma got him.

I think it will be an interesting battle in TC between him and Anderson. Mullins adds the speed dimension but Anderson has the experience on his side. Both were productive in college but I think Anderson's experience on ST wins him the spot in TC.
you know, now that you mention that, and Vinny talked about Ernest Givins, I bet that is exactly what we brought him in for because of his experience in the offense he was in. Receivers in the Run-n-Shoot, have to find wholes in the zone coverages or be able to turn a small route into a big gain (Ernest Givins). This would make sense to try and get that kind of receiver.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #26
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Boy I miss the RnS offense, it sure is fun to watch.

This kid looks like he has the quick twitch moves that a punt returner needs. And he runs sub 4.4, that is flying.

And IMO the best way to start a play with Slaton is with him in the backfield. Than if it looks like the defense is in base split him out create the miss match with the LB. If they are in nickle, run him in a base zone run.

Pre-snap Motion, is what a NFL offense needs to create and find the mismatches.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008   #27
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdude730 View Post
looks like he has some good hands, but he needs to protect the ball a little better at the pro level. he will be in a tough fight for the 5th spot.
What in this video makes you think he needs to protect ball better? Oh yeh and GO ROCKETS!
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008   #28
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Boy I miss the RnS offense, it sure is fun to watch. .
Loved going to the Gamblers games. The funnest games to watch period. Jim Kelly could throw the deep all better than anyone i have ever seen.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008   #29
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
What in this video makes you think he needs to protect ball better? Oh yeh and GO ROCKETS!
IMO he carries the ball too far away from his body and he never switches his ball hand.

go spurs!
Old 05-04-2008   #30
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

from an article i found on UDFA winners and not worth its own thread

Quote:
4. Houston Texans
- The Texans were another team who didn't bring in half the world, signing only 8 players, but they got some intriguing prospects with those signings. Ryan Grice-Mullins is the least known of the trio of Hawaii receivers that Colt Brennan put up his monster numbers throwing to, but he's the fastest, and might project the best to the NFL because of that. They also added another member of the Diner top 20 in LB Ben Moffitt, another linebacker who just loves football and makes plays. These kinds of linebackers are the guys who make special teams stars.
it funny what he said about ST stars... it seems to me that we've signed quite a few players who have 'special teams demon' on their scouting reports
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008   #31
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
it funny what he said about ST stars... it seems to me that we've signed quite a few players who have 'special teams demon' on their scouting reports
You can bank on this, if your going to be holding one of the bottom quarter of roster spots you better be able to play some Special Teams or your not staying on the team.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008   #32
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
from an article i found on UDFA winners and not worth its own thread

where was that article?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #33
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

I'm really excited about Grice-Mullens, this guy has slot WR all over him. He's going to have to overcome the 'system' label, but he's incredibly exlosive and has the talent to make the team. I think he'll end up on the PS this year, but could beat out David Anderson in the long run. I'm rooting for the guy, he could end up being a solid contributor in the long run.
Old 05-05-2008   #34
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

and who are the other six guys we brought in?
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #35
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
where was that article?
http://www.footballdiner.com/ncaaund...eeagents2.html
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #36
shawn76ers
Texan Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Boy I miss the RnS offense, it sure is fun to watch.

This kid looks like he has the quick twitch moves that a punt returner needs. And he runs sub 4.4, that is flying.

And IMO the best way to start a play with Slaton is with him in the backfield. Than if it looks like the defense is in base split him out create the miss match with the LB. If they are in nickle, run him in a base zone run.

Pre-snap Motion, is what a NFL offense needs to create and find the mismatches.
if this Kubiak/gibbs offense turns out to be a failure....I Vote for bringing back Jack Pardee & the Run & Shoot - those were the best times to be an Oiler fan !
shawn76ers is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read