Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-02-2008   #41
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New insite into Smith's Defense

There's probably been a thread on this already, but I'll ask again; do you guys reeeeally think Ray Rhodes' job is just to coach up the DBs?? Or is he a defacto assistant DC?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008   #42
kravix
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 kravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballotkravix is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Me thinks that some of you are also forgetting that the reason the D didnt blitz much the first year was because they were just transitioning from a 3-4 and still trying to get the system down. Last year the secondary was so beat up that they couldnt afford to rush LB's and leave bigger holes in coverage.

Even so, dont expect much blitzing from this team no matter who the DC is. Kubiak wants most of the pressure to come from the front 4 with an occasional blitz.
kravix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008   #43
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 14294 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
There's probably been a thread on this already, but I'll ask again; do you guys reeeeally think Ray Rhodes' job is just to coach up the DBs?? Or is he a defacto assistant DC?

I said it before when Rhodes was hired- I hope he's in the booth on gameday making Smith sweat....................
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008   #44
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 192005 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kravix View Post
Me thinks that some of you are also forgetting that the reason the D didnt blitz much the first year was because they were just transitioning from a 3-4 and still trying to get the system down. Last year the secondary was so beat up that they couldnt afford to rush LB's and leave bigger holes in coverage.

Even so, dont expect much blitzing from this team no matter who the DC is. Kubiak wants most of the pressure to come from the front 4 with an occasional blitz.
That's a good point about the transition from 3-4 to 4-3 the first year.

And you're right that Kubes wants a D where we can get pressure from the front 4. He's said that many times. The first couple of games last year, we only blitzed on a few rare occasions. As the year went on, we blitzed more and more and we played less and less zone as the year went on.

I was really looking forward to our defense last year because over the last 13 games of the previous year, the defense had really performed pretty well for the most part. The injuries really killed us. But ultimately, injuries or not, we just didn't get it done last year.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008   #45
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

You jackass thunderkiss. the thing that manning does is get rid of the ball in 2.5 seconds.

Looks like another serf falling on his sword for the franchise & the king. We're running Petie Faggins back there in the back seven, we ain't blitzing. I fuggered that one out.
Old 05-03-2008   #46
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Given Ray's health issues, I doubt he is a DC in waiting. However, he will have a lot of influence due to his level of experience as a DC which is what Smith is lacking. I see Rhodes as a support system for Smith, but not his replacement.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008   #47
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Given Ray's health issues, I doubt he is a DC in waiting. However, he will have a lot of influence due to his level of experience as a DC which is what Smith is lacking. I see Rhodes as a support system for Smith, but not his replacement.
That works for me.
Is anyone besides me worried that Richard Smith will be the one talking to DeMeco on the field? Please let it be Rhodes and not Smith.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008   #48
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
That works for me.
Is anyone besides me worried that Richard Smith will be the one talking to DeMeco on the field? Please let it be Rhodes and not Smith.
Its just gonna come in as interference....those mics dont pic up screaming very well.
Old 05-03-2008   #49
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
I too prefer an aggressive defense that doesn't let the plays come to them, they dictate how the plays are run with their ruthless tenacity.

really?! im a fan of a conservative, passive defence myself
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008   #50
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Not saying.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...o&confirm=true
Quote:
['Big Nickel' is getting bigger
Speaking of Tyrell Johnson, there is a growing desire in the NFL for defenses to play more "Big Nickel" defense. You often hear about teams substituting a corner for a linebacker when their opponent sends in an extra wide receiver. Nickel defense is still a very critical part of any NFL defense, but -- with the large influx of athletic tight ends that present a vertical threat in the passing game but also handle a 5-foot-9, 190-pound nickel corner in the running game -- teams are looking to develop a three-safety package.
just saying. We carry lot of SS types.
Old 05-13-2008   #51
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
agreed.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read