Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-01-2008   #21
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 65846 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New insite into Smith's Defense

Gah. I've been wanting this sort of discussion for a long time and I can't get the radio interview to play. Any hints?
Old 05-01-2008   #22
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Gah. I've been wanting this sort of discussion for a long time and I can't get the radio interview to play. Any hints?
I found it easier to use the podcast feature instead of the feed from 610.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #23
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Most of the issue (other than disguising type) seems to come from whether we are "Reactive" or "Pro-acive". It looks that in a lot ways we are reactive. Not sure how I feel about a defense that pretty much just plays off of what the offense puts out. There are pos and cons to each. Pro-active has the biggest opportunity for making a big play against the offense, but also has the possibility of having a big play against them if they get caught doing the wrong thing. The reactive seems to be the safer (Vanilla?) of the two as it would seem to lessen the chance for either to make a big play unless one or the other makes some sort of mistake.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #24
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

A Vanilla look defense with smart athletic players that can churn out Neopolitan at the snap is what we are looking for. How the staff breaks that out in position and unit drills as well as in reviewing tape is where it will all shake out.

On defense I have always loved organized chaos and trust that we have the players to execute.
Old 05-01-2008   #25
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 18146 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope I eat crow, but I think our defense will be bottom of the barrel until Smith is gone. Does anyone think our defense that makes backup QB's look like hall-of-famers is going to suddenly jump to above-average this coming season?
MightyTExan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #26
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyTExan View Post
I hope I eat crow, but I think our defense will be bottom of the barrel until Smith is gone. Does anyone think our defense that makes backup QB's look like hall-of-famers is going to suddenly jump to above-average this coming season?
Yeah i thought he was bad from day 1.
Old 05-01-2008   #27
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems to me that it's a way for a d-coordinator to cover up his inability to decipher an offense and then tell his defense what to do to counter the offense.

He's making his players do all the heavy lifting. He's making them line up in a "We don't know what the heck to expect" formation, and then the whole defense (line, LBs, and Dbacks) has to react and decide what to do when the ball snaps? Okey dokey. That explains why we're a bend-but-don't-break defense.

You know what? This just makes me even more amazed that the man is our d-coordinator.

Go ahead and flame me. Call me a hater who only spews negativity. Our defense would do so much better with a d-coordinator who tries to DICTATE the action from start to finish.
Old 05-01-2008   #28
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

So the offensive coordinator for the Colts must be pretty stupid too. I mean, he just lets Peyton call the plays and doesn't have to do anything. Obviously that guy can't decipher what the defense is doing so he just tells Peyton to go out there and do something to counter the defense.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #29
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
So the offensive coordinator for the Colts must be pretty stupid too. I mean, he just lets Peyton call the plays and doesn't have to do anything. Obviously that guy can't decipher what the defense is doing so he just tells Peyton to go out there and do something to counter the defense.
He can do that because his QB is. . . Peyton Manning.
Old 05-01-2008   #30
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Seems to me that it's a way for a d-coordinator to cover up his inability to decipher an offense and then tell his defense what to do to counter the offense.

He's making his players do all the heavy lifting. He's making them line up in a "We don't know what the heck to expect" formation, and then the whole defense (line, LBs, and Dbacks) has to react and decide what to do when the ball snaps? Okey dokey. That explains why we're a bend-but-don't-break defense.
This is the NFL - braun, brains, athletic ability and reacting on the fly are key attributes and competencies needed in order to play this game on defense.

Maybe you would rather watch the game from your spine melter 3000 and get your football voyeurism on via this style of play

BTW, I am not a huge fan of Smith and my statements are more about the developing personnel. They can be exclusive of one another.
Old 05-01-2008   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
i'm sure for the most part it's all designed to beat the colts. after all, thats the basis of peyton's offense. he walks up to the line, looks at the defense and calls the play accordingly. it's not called in the huddle. it's a read and react offense. it wont do well when it can't read and it wont do well when it gets pressure from the front four. in theory of course. it's done well against us for years.
Think of what the Colts do offensively. They generally send the same guys out on most plays, and they generally line up in a handful of formations.

ARe they going to run, or are they going to pass?? You don't know, because the package is the same. So you have to guess at what "defensive package" you're going to throw out there.

Then they show their formation, but again, they run so many plays from the same formation, you still don't know what's coming. So you have to guess again.

Then they snap the ball.. regardless what anyone else might tell you, they are a very good play action team. They run the ball effectively, and Peyton does the same thing almost flawlessly until he hands the ball off, or loads up to throw, you don't know, until it's too late. So again, you have to guess.

By that time, you've stacked up three, maybe four guesses, and they may all be wrong..... you're beat, and you're beat bad, if that's the case.

Now, one thing Peyton does, is "stare" at a player until he throws the ball. Many folks think he is staring down his reciever, like that theiv'n SOB David Carr used to do... But Peyton was looking at our player. A safety, or a LB.. He knew where his player was going to be where he's supposed to be, just like he's been all week in practice.

Many of their plays target a specific player, a LB, or a safety. & Peyton would stare him down, until he makes a decision. Didn't matter to Peyton which way he chose, if he went high, Peyton threw low, if he went low, Peyton threw high.

That had absolutely nothing to do with our talk about defense, I just wanted to take another shot at YKW.

But if we always look the same, what's Peyton going to audible too??

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
for the record, and i think kiwi said it best, i'm not looking for a name or some stupid thing to yell out at the games. i want to understand what my team is trying to accomplish. i want to know what they are thinking.
Simply put, if our main focus is to pressure the QB, and we "refuse" to blitz... That tells me we're so bad behind the defensive line(whether your DL is good or bad doesn't matter at this point), that our M.O. is going to be to play it safe for a while.
Old 05-01-2008   #32
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Did Peyton Manning just walk in and create the Colts offense? "Hi, I'm Peyton Manning and I would like to show you my 5-inch thick notebook of plays that's going to turn this franchise around...now, everybody gather 'round and looka' here for a second..."

Jeez...it takes a system, and then it takes the players to work the system.

Anybody who defends Richard Smith and thinks he's going to work wonders in Year 3 is yet again a hopeless romantic. Give it up already. I will go out on a limb and say that the raw athleticism of Mario, DeMeco, and Amobi...coupled with D-Rob in the backfield...has been the defense's saving grace thus far. It's definitely not the creative wizadry of Richard Smith's philosophy.

We have a d-coordinator problem. I hope this is his last year.
Old 05-01-2008   #33
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's just my opinion and preference, but I like a defense that wants to go out and hurt and destroy something. Screw the waiting for something to happen, let's just light'em up. That has the propensity to get burned at times, but I like the "Tude". Probably just me and how I think.

De Oppresso Liber
Old 05-01-2008   #34
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I too prefer an aggressive defense that doesn't let the plays come to them, they dictate how the plays are run with their ruthless tenacity.
Old 05-01-2008   #35
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

He's making his players do all the heavy lifting. He's making them line up in a "We don't know what the heck to expect" formation,
I really think you totally missed the point of what the defense is doing. They line up the same every down but they play a different defense every down. It is not a read and react defense it is a normal defense presented in brown paper. You have no idea what it coming at you till it is unwrapped.

As for the playcalling, this is not greatly effected by how we line up in my opinion it is a philosophy of boom or bust vs. bend not break.

I am a bend not break supporter but obviously people here want us to go all out on attack, lets get Buddy Ryan back in here and fire up the '46' defense and get us some big plays....
kiwitexansfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #36
edo783
Site Contributor

I love the cartoon of buzzards sitiing inthe tree. "screw it, let's go kill something". My kind of folks.

De Oppresso Liber
Old 05-01-2008   #37
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to be honest here, I have no idea if Smith is a good co-ordinator or not. I know though you can't make chicken soup out of chicken sh....

Our defense has been down on talent in the back half for a while now, we are starting to turn the corner on that.

I like the concept of what Smith wants to do, I trust Smithiak's judgement, so I am going to give him a chance to build something great.

Something I think we are too short sighted and too reactionary, and need to give things time to grow and develop.

Signed,

A guy that was a Carr supporter for far too long.
Old 05-01-2008   #38
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I'm going to be honest here, I have no idea if Smith is a good co-ordinator or not. I know though you can't make chicken soup out of chicken sh....

Our defense has been down on talent in the back half for a while now, we are starting to turn the corner on that.

I like the concept of what Smith wants to do, I trust Smithiak's judgement, so I am going to give him a chance to build something great.

Something I think we are too short sighted and too reactionary, and need to give things time to grow and develop.

Signed,

A guy that was a Carr supporter for far too long.
We gave Carr time to grow and develop and look where that got us..j/k

We just don't have all the pieces yet to field a dominant defense.

Old 05-01-2008   #39
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
We just don't have all the pieces yet to field a dominant defense.

I think with Molden, Adibi and Okam on board we are getting close though.... A lot of this is on Demps turning a pro bowl alternate season into a pro bowl level season.
Old 05-01-2008   #40
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is just my opinion, but I've often watched Manning and many other QBs pick apart Ds by watching how they line up and calling audibles all day long. Why show them what you are going to do? I like the idea of not showing them. Whether somebody (like the DC) should go ahead and call a D play beforehand or the players should somehow react to what the O does, I won't get into all of that; but, I like the premise of not just showing our cards and hoping the other guy can't find a way to beat them.

For those saying they don't like all the cutesy stuff and let's just go out there and be manly men and knock everybody on their butts, why do you think the Patriots cheated? Strategy is a huge part of the game, and that's not going to change. It's a big part of any kind of game that's worth watching.

I don't know if Smith is worth keeping at DC, but I like this idea. There has to be something good about him or he wouldn't be here; so maybe this "vanilla" business is it.

Another thing that strikes me about this is that it is a D that may make bad or inexperienced players look worse; BUT, it could be a great help in putting us over the top if we ever go on a SUPER BOWL run. It sounds like something that makes bad players look worse and makes good players even better.

The main drawback from my point of view is that I don't like not having a true FS on the field; but, if I had known this is what we were really doing, I wouldn't have complained so much.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read