Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-09-2005   #41
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
Run containment is one of Peek's weak areas. He isn't very smart either.
yeah my dad was telling me how the coaching staff doesnt think he has the intelligence to be a consistent pass coverer
Old 03-09-2005   #42
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
i cant recall seeing peek miss to many assignments.
How could you tell? Are you the one who took his playbook? Anyway, isn't the complaint that Peek's immaturity affects his play such that he becomes a liability when he isn't strictly head hunting the QB?
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #43
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoX
How could you tell? Are you the one who took his playbook? Anyway, isn't the complaint that Peek's immaturity affects his play such that he becomes a liability when he isn't strictly head hunting the QB?

oh you must also have EVERY game the texans have ever played recorded just like me. And buddy i hate to tell ya theres a difference between immaturity and a passion for the game, when i see peek play on the field during GAMES he brings intensity/passion to the game, now what he does off the field is none of our buisness. I'm sorry if scooping up a fumble and running it back for a td is immature to you
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #44
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
oh you must also have EVERY game the texans have ever played recorded just like me. And buddy i hate to tell ya theres a difference between immaturity and a passion for the game, when i see peek play on the field during GAMES he brings intensity/passion to the game, now what he does off the field is none of our buisness. I'm sorry if scooping up a fumble and running it back for a td is immature to you
I'm not concerned with his off the field activities. The playbook comment was a joke about our abilities to assess player assignments in Capers complex scheme without knowing what a player's duty was on a given play.

I personally like Peek and hope to see him start. I am strictly trying to guess why the coaches haven't been giving him more playing time, despite him being called our best pass rusher and best cover LB. I also want to know why they always seem interested in getting another starting ROLB. I haven't questioned his passion. I have questioned is ability to be a disciplined, multi-dimensional player -- what I would consider a "mature" player.

My question is how well does Peek play against the run and the pass when he isn't just teeing off on the QB? Why is he a situational pass rusher and not a 3-down LB? Does Peek balance out his great play with boneheaded plays? I only have coaches comments to go on, such as this:
Quote:
Coach Dom Capers was seen giving second-year outside linebacker Antwan Peek
an earful on the sideline on Sunday against the
Bears.

Peek was involved in a shoving match on the field and was flagged for a 15-yard roughing-the-passer penalty on the Bears' final possession. The Texans' coaching staff doesn't question Peek's pass-rush ability but does want him to control his emotions.

"I love Antwan's passion and emotion. I think that's what it takes to play this game," Capers said. "But you don't want to do anything that's gong to hurt your football team."

Last edited by MojoX; 03-10-2005 at 12:55 AM.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #45
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
But on one of the biggest pro days of the season, Capers chose Wisconsin over Florida, LSU, & Oklahoma. And he did it to see Erasmus James.
I agree with half of this, but I think the guy he wants to see at Wiconsin most of all is the tackle Hawthorne. What's more they could move back in
the first round and have a better chance of getting Hawthorne than James.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #46
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

This thread is getting ridiculous. Theres a difference between being too juiced up and emotional on the field and being immature. Immature means you are going to sit around complaining about everything and doing stupid things off the field. Getting a penalty on the field after a play means that you are hustling to make a play and are a half second late, you are sticking up for a teammate, or you arent going to take someones **** from the other team. I believe all of those have been reasons for each of his penalities. If im a player I want that person on the field that isnt going to sit there when i started getting pushed around by the other team, I want the guy that is going to come over and clear them out. I also want the player that shows the other team that he isnt going to get pushed around himself. That is why he is a weapon that is being wasted on the sideline. The guy makes LT jump multiple times out of fear of being beat and his mouth. It would be one thing if he did these things and had no production, but I believe, according to the Texans own web page, that he made a great play like 50% of the plays he was in this season. It returning fumbles for touchdowns, intercepting a pass, blocking a punt, and striking fear into lineman and QBs is immature then I want 22 immature stupid *****s on my team. They may get a 15 yarder once every few games but they will also be winning those games. I want a little old school raider swagger out on the field.
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #47
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Again . . . the question remains.

Why is the "best physical talent at the position" just a situational pass-rusher, and nothing else?

Because the entire coaching staff is stupid? No . . ya gotta dig a little deeper than that.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #48
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatikid
Getting a penalty on the field after a play means that you are hustling to make a play and are a half second late, you are sticking up for a teammate, or you arent going to take someones **** from the other team.
Sorry but no. Maybe one of Peek's penalties was ticky tacky last year but most were just plain bone-headed not walking away after the play and picking stupid fights. Hopefully Peek doesn't think like you because if he does he won't change what he is doing. If he wants to be all excited I am all for that, but once the whistle blows he needs to do it with his teammates not by getting in scuffles with the opposing team after every play. I want to see Peek starting, but in order for that to happen he is going to have to convince Capers that he is not going to draw 1-2 personal fouls every game. IMO if he was out there full time some of that would naturally die down once his overexuberance of being on the field settled down.
Old 03-10-2005   #49
Doug
All Pro

I don't know where your definition of immature comes from but I do know a part of the definition is "lacking complete growth", whether mentally or physically. I firmly believe that given the chance to start a full season he would tone down his mouth just a bit and let his play do the talking. Several penalties I've seen were do to his mouth causing confrontation. The guy is great and I think he gets so wound up just having those small windows of opportunity to play that he gets swept up in the moment by his emotions, which to some people are good and to others bad. Nobody can argue the fact that he's good at what he does, I just think he needs some fine tuning.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #50
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

He has LT syndrome without the same level of talent. Parcells never knew where Taylor would be on a given play. He just had too much talent to keep him off the field.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #51
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
He has LT syndrome without the same level of talent. Parcells never knew where Taylor would be on a given play. He just had too much talent to keep him off the field.
He isnt a crazy person running wrecklessly all over, occasionally there was bad contain in preseason but that was it. And how many penalities did he get this season? I cant remember too many, there were some shoving matches but they didnt get penalties. ANd yes, if he played he would naturally calm down because he would be out there all the time. The games he did start he did much better. Once again, he just needs that chance.
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #52
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

ok so what he gets a few penalties called against him, so what ??? He's made me wanna buy his jersey. And some question his run stopping ability, well if ya watched the last 3 games you will see he played the run very well and came up with some big stops for us !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read