Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-27-2008   #321
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown: First Round pick of the Texans

LOL @ fans. We need oline. You build from the trenches out. We need oline. We need oline. We need oline!

WHAT WE DRAFTED OLINE ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME!!!!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #322
JayCee
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 JayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden cover

Either Kubiak and co are great actors or they truly targeted this guy from the get go and he isn't a compromise with what was available.

I'm excited.

Well, I’m off to bed, nearly 1am here, looking forward to seeing who we got in the 3rd when I wake up.

Last edited by JayCee; 04-27-2008 at 08:53 AM.
JayCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #323
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish we could have traded down again, but this is not a bad pick. The Texans need Oline help, and they got it. Not a dynomite pick by any means, but soild.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #324
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

From ESPN chat predraft:

Quote:
Scoot (Syracuse): Duane, why should you get drafted?

Duane Brown: First of all, I think my work ethic and desire are my best attributes. I work hard all day, every day. I have great athleticism for my position. I think I can bring that to the team, being able to stretch guys. I'm also a good teammate, I try to motivate guys and not cause trouble in the locker room.

Howie (Los Angeles): What was your favorite moment from college?

Duane Brown: I'd have to say my first start at right tackle, going against Mario Williams. I'd only been in the position for a couple weeks and was anxious to see where I stood. I held my own and got the ball rolling out there.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #325
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr PC View Post
The more I think about it, the happier I am with this draft pick. Brown is super athletic and super intelligent. He played tight end and had the highest GPA on his team. Gibbs knows that he can mold Brown into the LT that our zone blocking system needs. Im glad the Texans have finally filled that big hole at left tackle.
Just go look at his combine and game clips on the Texans web site. THe kid can flat out move. Absolutely gorgeous kick sliding.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #326
WaywardTexanFan
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to WaywardTexanFan Send a message via Yahoo to WaywardTexanFan

Mike Mayock (NFLN) is an *****. He said Houston should have waited until the 2nd round to pick up Brown. This boy is like the rest, jackin his jaw without engaging his brain.
Old 04-27-2008   #327
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
anyways yanked out ourlads draft guide (noticed everyone seemed to have a copy @ the draft tables) & looked up Duane Browns rating 7.07 sorry to say that does project to a late 2nd rd. grade. if the Texans had a 2nd rd. pick I think they would have been able to wait til then but he was an ascending prospect & tackle position along with DE has become the flavour of this draft.
I don't know why it matter where he was projected then, because in the end he was moving up draft boards. If we weren't going to make the "reach" in the 1st round, another team would have.

Our big three wanted him, they had a chance to move back some more with a trade from Seattle(I don't know what pick, but heard of an extra 4th), but felt dangered of losing Duane Brown in the process
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #328
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
So now we're comparing the number one overall pick to a mid 20s pick. Exceptional.
WEAK.

Does not matter where in the first round. There are plenty of studs (or guys who can ignite a fanbase from the start like I said) going all over the place in the first round.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #329
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
I don't know why it matter where he was projected then, because in the end he was moving up draft boards. If we weren't going to make the "reach" in the 1st round, another team would have.

Our big three wanted him, they had a chance to move back some more with a trade from Seattle(I don't know what pick, but heard of an extra 4th), but felt dangered of losing Duane Brown in the process
here is anaology:

first day as it happened - disbelief latter as the trade down & selection settles in take the company line the morning after & the realization who just slept with your best friends wife you just have to say no even if the desire/need is great the consequences outweigh the risk

seriously Duane Brown was never on our radar because we didn't have a 2nd rd. pick. should have been nervous I guess as soon as the Texans traded down. I can actually see the difference between Frye & Brown one is a mauler (Frye) the other is finesse (Brown). I wonder if Frye doesn't get a shot @ RT move Winston inside to RG next to Meyers with Pitts the only remaining linemen staying put. in this scenero that would answear my questions about the future & this pick. but as for now all we (draft geeks) have at our disposel are opinions, draft guides, draft sites & expert analysts feedback.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #330
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

I found this good analysis on Brown...

Quote:
2008 NFL Draft Prospect - Scouting Report
Few players increased their value more than Duane Brown at the Combine. In a couple of days Brown pretty much went from a mid-round selection to a possible second round pick. He is still a little raw since he moved to offensive tackle from tight end just three years ago, but he quickly proved at Virginia Tech that he is a formidable lineman. During his senior season he started to improve his form and that swiftly turned into much better production.

The buzz started during Senior Week when Brown had a good showing at the East-West Shrine game. The buzz grew fast at the Combine when Brown ranked among the leaders in the 40-yard dash, vertical jump, 3-cone drill and 20-yard shuffle for offensive tackles. Brown will still need some work on his technique and to get a little stronger at the point of attack, but once that is taken care of many expect that he can be a great lineman for years to come. He will be just as quick as most ends and you cannot teach that speed or athleticism.

The second round might be a bit of a stretch, but he will be in the top ten offensive tackles on a lot of draft boards and just about everybody wants a tackle sooner or later (that could push him into the late second round). If he falls much further than that, he will be a steal as long as he can fine tune his technique and eventually live up to his Combine numbers
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/p...ospect_ID=1522
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #331
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
WEAK.

Does not matter where in the first round. There are plenty of studs (or guys who can ignite a fanbase from the start like I said) going all over the place in the first round.
You guys gotta be kidding me!!!!!!!

See the bolded is the problem, You guys want someone to get happy about whereas Kubes & company are trying to build a contender; you do that from the line out. I personally didn't even know who the guy was but with Gibbs on board & his track record, plus the nasty streak that this kid looks like he has, I think we'll finally see an offensive line we can be comfortable with for years.

Threetoedpete must be ecstatic that we took an Offensive lineman in the 1st, reach or not. what's his favorite line every time the texans don't get help on the O-line: " I can take it as long as you guys can.."
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #332
Smash_Mouth_Mario
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Smash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
From ESPN chat predraft:

Duane Brown: I'd have to say my first start at right tackle, going against Mario Williams. I'd only been in the position for a couple weeks and was anxious to see where I stood. I held my own and got the ball rolling out there.

I love this! Grasshopper going against the Master!

Houston Texans Big Mistake - Ha ha! NOT!
Smash_Mouth_Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #333
Smash_Mouth_Mario
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Smash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVPSmash_Mouth_Mario was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardTexanFan View Post
Mike Mayock (NFLN) is an *****. He said Houston should have waited until the 2nd round to pick up Brown. This boy is like the rest, jackin his jaw without engaging his brain.
Using what 2nd round pick?

Pardon me, if that's why you posted that.

Old 04-27-2008   #334
Smash_Mouth_Mario
Veteran

The Texans fans reaction on chron.com surprised me! This would not be the case 3-4 years ago. Things have changed.

The key: They trust Kubs! ---> The Fans React

Last edited by Smash_Mouth_Mario; 04-27-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-27-2008   #335
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

29. SAN FRANCISCO 49'ERS (f/IND)
DUANE BROWN OT | Virginia Tech | Scouting Report
My surprise pick of round one. The Niners have a ton of needs but they are going to be looking for an offensive lineman very early and I've been told that Brown is a strong possibility for them, either here or at #39. If they don't grab him in round one I don't think he'd make it to their next pick and they probably realize that too, which is why they pull the trigger here. A former tight end, Brown is a fantastic athlete with experience at both left and right tackle and in the last month before the draft he has been flying up draft boards all around the league. I am out on a limb with this one...
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft2.html
FWIW: maybe this is why Smith-Kubiak moved at 26 with the 49ers sitting a
couple notchs back at 29 ? And nfldraftcountdown is a Draft site with some cred.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #336
Smash_Mouth_Mario
Veteran

MEET DUANE BROWN

Old 04-27-2008   #337
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash_Mouth_Mario View Post
It looked like i was watching her boobs the entire interview.

Not that, you know, that's a bad thing.
Old 04-27-2008   #338
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash_Mouth_Mario View Post
Very good interview. He was a bit lost when asked about Salam, but good questions and answer session. Not the generic rookie interview. Rep your way.
Old 04-27-2008   #339
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Very good interview. He was a bit lost when asked about Salam, but good questions and answer session. Not the generic rookie interview. Rep your way.
What did he say? Please, someone help.
Old 04-27-2008   #340
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 352717 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
What did he say? Please, someone help.
Basically that he really hadn't seen much of Salaam. He hasn't watched him play. Hasn't seen the commercial but he's heard about it.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read