Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-26-2008   #281
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown: First Round pick of the Texans

The way I see it , Gibbs will be here two years maybe . Because of that you need guys he can groom now to get them up and running .
Old 04-26-2008   #282
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 62963 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

At first I was kinda like WTF ? Then I had time to look into the guy , and see the highlights they showed on the local newscast . They showed the press conference with Kubiak and Smith and they sure did seem happy , and excited as hell to get this guy . They are professionals , and know what they are talking about , so I cant really pass judgment on this decision . I really do hope the guy works out . Tomorrow is gonna be interesting . I cant wait to see what Kubiak and Smith can do . Heres to hoping we can pull off a steal at RB , and CB .

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #283
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
Allright, allright.

I was pissed off at first. Overreacted. Thought they reached. But after I watched the interviews, I really believe this was their guy. And if so, and they got extra picks, Awesome. They've done good in the past, and i overreacted, and I'm now behind it.

Duane, welcome to Houston...I wish you the best.

In kubiak and smith we trust.

Again, I was pissed, and overreacted. I got over it.
Id give ya some rep but it says I have to spread it around .

Much respect to ya swtbound.

Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #284
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Allright, allright.

I was pissed off at first. Overreacted. Thought they reached. But after I watched the interviews, I really believe this was their guy. And if so, and they got extra picks, Awesome. They've done good in the past, and i overreacted, and I'm now behind it.

im just quoting this so its seen again. I was an ass earlier, and it was unnecessary. I wasn't being an ass to be an ass, i was legitimately pissed...but im over it. I think as a fan, your allowed a window to be pissed and second guess stuff...but at the end of the day, its my team, and brown now plays for it. Welcome to the O-line Duane. I hope your as good as advertised.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #285
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
im just quoting this so its seen again. I was an ass earlier, and it was unnecessary. I wasn't being an ass to be an ass, i was legitimately pissed...but im over it. I think as a fan, your allowed a window to be pissed and second guess stuff...but at the end of the day, its my team, and brown now plays for it. Welcome to the O-line Duane. I hope your as good as advertised.
I watched drafts where I was going ... what the hell are we doing not taking player X . Then you look back and say what happened to player X he did'nt pan out I guess .

I'm hoping we hit on this pick ... we need a LT . I think after Albert and Williams were gone , we went to plan B . The good news is we moved down and got picks and still got plan b .
Old 04-26-2008   #286
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's all good SWT. We knew you'd come around.

Here is our future All-Star (lets hope!)

Old 04-26-2008   #287
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

About SWT.. he is a (champion at that), but I think I repped him on the official boards long time ago ..because he does stick to his guns and he "mans up" to his posts (and why isn't there a SWT smiley?)

confused on this because I am too lazy to look it up but was the 8.5 sacks given up in one year or two.. (I have seen it mentioned both ways)

Anyway I was like herv.. I felt it was like the TJ pick all over with but I am not a draft wizard and mainly because I haven't watched the guy..

anyway about the mocks that forcasted where he would go.. curious if they expect 7 OT's to go on a run so fast and so early so the demand went up for him .. I expect if we traded down again and Brown would have been gone by the time we picked again, the board would light up about how we didn't get an OT early.

With that said.. Positives I see

Quote:
NEGATIVES: Lacks top lateral blocking range. At times lazy with his hands.
I would think that is coach able (the laziness) and (if I read right) stands up too tall and something else but that was pages ago

positives.
Coach Gibbs should bring out the best in him
probably not start but if he does that says something (I doubt the Texans would throw him in the fire).. Texans probably will let him develop
I take it he went against Chris Long (who has a good motor) in college and in TC.. possibly going against Mario

If those don't help him.. well the Texans scouts dropped a goose egg on this pick.. but time will tell

I had a few hours to chill and go over this thread and the one at www.inthebullseye.com on what was said by many people

I was shocked at first but calmness has comeover me now
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #288
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
About SWT.. he is a (champion at that), but I think I repped him on the official boards long time ago ..because he does stick to his guns and he "mans up" to his posts (and why isn't there a SWT smiley?)
Here ya go

SWT Smiley
Old 04-26-2008   #289
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 18555 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdoubleeagle View Post
Build our offensive and defensive lines first. I think this will be a great pick. A solid O-Line can make most NFL running backs look great......a poor O-Line will make that same running back look terrible ( Edgerrin James ). Forget Mendenhall and the other running backs. YOU CANNOT WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP WITHOUT DOMINANCE IN THE TRENCHES!!
Truth.

The only thing I don't like about the pick is that it's not the sexy pick, but I don't believe any true sexy picks were gone by the 18th. All this Mendenhall talk seems wishfull. Let's not confuse him with a McFadden caliber player. I'm not saying Menden isn't good, but we sure didn't pass on a blue chip RB. Instead, a more pressing need was addressed.

I'm sick and tired of watching our QB get laid out. I'm sick and tired of watching 3 and outs. I'm sick and tired of being at the bottom of the AFC South. We have the skill players we need. We just don't have the line shored up to give those skill players a level field to play on. LT is the weakest link on that line, and the FO has the fortitude to put a stop to it. Sure, we have the potential of Big Nasty to squash that need, but last time I recall banking on a LT coming back from the infirmary, Boselli ended up busting. Someone recently pointed out Young to me too. We've been patching long enough.

Kubes, Smith, Gibbs... you saw a hole and filled it. Thank you!

Brown will be starting week 1, I have no doubt. I don't believe for one second that Kubes, Smith and Gibbs would take an OL in the first if they didn't think he would make no better impact than a 5th round lineman. Will he be in Honolulu next February? Prolly not, but let's not confuse him with Mr. Irrelevant. While he certainly isn't the consensus 1st round grade linemane, I like what I read about how DB fit's the Gibbs scheme. I think he fits the Texans 1st round pick well.

Welcome to Houston Duane!

I have some advise for you: Don't read the forums! We are all nutz!!! But in our defense, We've spent the past 2 years talking about Reggie Bush an Vince Young
Trail.Blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #290
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
Id give ya some rep but it says I have to spread it around .

Much respect to ya swtbound.

probably all the neg rep you gave him earlier

i was happy with the pick from the start but when i see the way smith and kubiak especially are gushing over him (noticeably moreso than mario and amobi imo), im starting to get really excited about him
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #291
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _superMario90_ View Post
I'm not saying Menden isn't good, but we sure didn't pass on a blue chip RB.
i love the duane brown pick, but you're WAY off there. mendenhall is going to be very, very good... you'll see.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #292
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully this draft will follow the pattern of the 2006 draft: controversial first pick that pans out followed by great pick after great pick.

I have some real concerns about Brown (more having to do with his school's systemic lack of success in the NFL), but if he can keep Schaub's backside clean, then I don't care where he was selected.

That having been said, it is instructive that no tackles were taken today in the 37 picks after Brown was taken. Most draftniks I followed had Brown grouped with Sam Baker, Anthony Collins and Carl Nicks. If Collins or Nicks are still on the board tomorrow when the Texans' next pick comes up, I may get sick. Though when the Cowboys jumped ahead of us and took Jenkins, I was really not sure where else to go.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #293
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 18555 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
It's just weird that our QB is taller than our future starting LT. Dammit.
Charles Spenser is 6-4 as well. It's all good. It's not like we drafted Gary Coleman
Old 04-27-2008   #294
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
but you're WAY off there
I could very, very well could be. And I won't be alone. He's quick, but he's not THAT fast or elusive. He lacks the homerun threat that you get out of a McFadden, who I think of when I say blue chip. Did Mendenhall even sniff the heisman?

I wont deny I beleive Mendenhall to be higher rated than Brown. I would say either have a bit of a learning curve ahead of them.
Old 04-27-2008   #295
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Allright, allright.

No worries man, I over reacted too. But after 6 months of mock drafts and fantasy scenerios, you can't blame the way we felt after we heard the pick. I never would have though that Duane Brown was our future LT but after reviewing film, I'm ok with him. Best of luck to you Duane and may you have a long ass career with the Texans!!!
Old 04-27-2008   #296
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Charles Spenser is 6-4 as well. It's all good. It's not like we drafted Gary Coleman
The good thing is that he has longer arms than the 6'6" Chris Williams. My main conern is the pass protection in our division, so Duane Brown will have the PHYSICAL tools to suceed. Welcome Duane Brown!

Last edited by BSofA04; 04-27-2008 at 12:59 AM.
BSofA04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #297
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I could very, very well could be. And I won't be alone. He's quick, but he's not THAT fast or elusive. He lacks the homerun threat that you get out of a McFadden, who I think of when I say blue chip. Did Mendenhall even sniff the heisman?

I wont deny I beleive Mendenhall to be higher rated than Brown. I would say either have a bit of a learning curve ahead of them.
The best player in the NFL wasn't a heisman candidate in college. But I don't think you can be consider good without once being in the running for the heisman, right?
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #298
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
The best player in the NFL wasn't a heisman candidate in college. But I don't think you can be consider good without once being in the running for the heisman, right?

Never argued good. Prolly never will.

Last edited by Trail.Blazr; 04-27-2008 at 01:06 AM. Reason: .
Old 04-27-2008   #299
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
My main conern is the pass protection in our division, so Duane Brown will have the PHYSICAL tools to suceed. Welcome Duane Brown!
I concur. If I understand the pick from they eyes of the FO, it is the PHYSICAL tools that he possesses that cater to thier belief he was worthy of being picked at that spot. Like many have said already, I'll trust them.
Old 04-27-2008   #300
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"We were worried, but I tried to be the calm before the storm because I had a room full of people who were scared to death that we weren't going to get him," Smith said. "I had to put a good face on."

The telephone rang in the Texans' war room at Reliant Stadium. It was a team inquiring if the Texans wanted to trade down again.

"I heard the phone ring, and I screamed to Rick, 'Don't answer it!' " Kubiak said. "We've been in love with Duane for a long time. He fits what we want to do. He's very athletic. I love his passion for the game. We're calling on him to help this team very, very early."
Well, considering that Brown is a slow-learner; I'm hoping Kubiak mails him the playbook over night for alittle early homework.

I hope he's ready by the time we step on Heinz field.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read