Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-26-2008   #141
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown: First Round pick of the Texans

Duane Brown is the highest drafted linemen in Texans draft history

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #142
Hutch13
List of demands

Rep Power: 12 Hutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Hutch13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
LOL! Thanks, that helps alot. Has there been a "sharp knife" come out of Va Tech? LOL
Michael Vick
Hutch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #143
WaywardTexanFan
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to WaywardTexanFan Send a message via Yahoo to WaywardTexanFan

Living in the Virginia area I have had the opportunity to see this kid in action for the last couple of years. He has been a starter for 3 years. He has had some injuries but has played thru them and never given up. This may not be the best pick but it sure isn't the worst Houston has made.
Old 04-26-2008   #144
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
I don't know. The Texans needed a pick that would really ignite the fanbase. Duane Brown is not it. We will see how this all turns out. I am hoping for the best. Would have liked Mike Jenkins in the back. He was not a reach at 18. The dropoff in CB's is pretty big, too (especially when you don't even have a second).
The Texans can't do anything else at this point to ignite the fanbase except to WIN. No player is going to sell tickets at this point, IMO. If the Texans were a bad team subjected to TV blackouts...it would be a different story. This isn't the Texans of 2 years ago. It's an 8-8 team looking to take the next step by methodically upgrading its talent at each position.
Old 04-26-2008   #145
gwallaia

Rep Power: 51052 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

I am mystified that the Texan's front office refuses to consult this message board and take advantage of all the advice from so many draft experts.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #146
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not going to lie and act like this is the best pick out there BUT the one thing that differentiates Kubes and Smith vs the past regime is their drafting and picking up diamonds in FA to fit needs. I feel like there is some goodwill there to trust this pick and figure they can use the 3rd for a RB that will still be there and that fits the system.

Overall I'm a proponent of BPA when the draft falls right. I think sticking at 18and taking Mendenhall or Jenkins then instead of getting cute was the best move. But again I defer to the pros and realize this guy might be perfect for the system.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 04-26-2008 at 06:32 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #147
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1035 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanballer View Post
Well i was all for it, if it was chris williams, otah, albert, not this guy no one has heard of
Had anyone really heard of Tom Brady when he was drafted? Who cares what position they're drafted at if they produce and make the team better? We can't say how he'll do until we see him play. I haven't heard of TONS of players that are drafted...does that mean they're not good? Knowing who a player is is merely relative to how much time you spend watching college football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
I don't know. The Texans needed a pick that would really ignite the fanbase. Duane Brown is not it.
I wouldn't worry...I think wins will ignite the fanbase. A flashy pick will only last so long if you aren't winning. Mendenhall might have been great, sure...but how is he going to be that "incredible" back if no holes are open for him to run through?
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #148
Heath Shuler
maybe not

Section: 521
Rep Power: 34640 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Originally Posted by keyser View Post
Brilliant. Duane Brown was ranked:

56th best overall player by Gosselin.
66th best by SI.com
85th best by ProFootballWeekly.com
165th best by Scout.com

Maybe he'll be great, but there's no way he's not a reach. Kiper thinks he's better than Baker and Cherilus, at least.

I'm officially depressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Shuler View Post
8th best OT by usatoday; 57th overall; projected to go in the 2-3 round.

seems like a reach to me.

I now hate jerry jones almost as much as I hate bud adams

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #149
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1664 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

I think I will trust Alex Gibbs,Kubes and Smith on this matter. I didn't know much about this guy but he looks very solid on the highlights they showed. I was disappointed not drafting Mendenhall but I got over it and welcome Brown to the Texans. Besides there is a reason Mendenhall dropped this far.

Give this regime a little credit before jumping off the edge. We have (2) 3rd rounders now in a pretty deep draft.

Another good thing out of this, we finally addressed our OL issue with a 1st rounder.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #150
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Shuler View Post
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
Brilliant. Duane Brown was ranked:

66th best by SI.com
165th best by Scout.com

Maybe he'll be great, but there's no way he's not a reach. Kiper thinks he's better than Baker and Cherilus, at least.

I'm officially depressed.
So he's a reach because media guys dont have him rated where guys who get paid to draft players picked him?
Old 04-26-2008   #151
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142677 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

So, Forte doesn't last to the third.

No real surprise.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #152
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Welcome Duane

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #153
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
I think I will trust Alex Gibbs,Kubes and Smith on this matter. I didn't know much about this guy but he looks very solid on the highlights they showed. I was disappointed not drafting Mendenhall but I got over it and welcome Brown to the Texans. Besides there is a reason Mendenhall dropped this far.

Give this regime a little credit before jumping off the edge. We have (2) 3rd rounders now in a pretty deep draft.

Another good thing out of this, we finally addressed our OL issue with a 1st rounder.
My favorite clip was seeing him run stride for stride with the ballcarrier downfield and picking off defenders. That's exactly what we need out of our LT. Plus he's got the feet to handle the edge rushers that we've never had at LT. Methinks he compares favorably to a converted TE that happened to be a pro bowl LT last season in Jason Peters of the Buffalo Bills.
Old 04-26-2008   #154
Texanballer
Rookie

Rep Power: 25 Texanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performer

Duane Brown was ranked:

66th best by SI.com
165th best by Scout.com

and he went 26th overall?

we could have got him in the third round
Texanballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #155
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13104 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown = Texans' First Round Choice

Quote:
yeah but mario williams brings us sacks, tackles, fumbles, possibly an interception

What does a lineman bring? a pancake?
Wow. Possibly one of the most ignorant things that I've heard in a while. O-lineman might not have "stats" that are flashy, but to think that lineman bring nothing to the table is just...

What do lineman bring? They bring precious second for a QB to make his reads and get the ball to his reciever. They bring the blocking that MAKES a running back successful or unsuccessful. They might not be catching TDs and making INTs and forcing fumbles, making highlight reels, and catching the attention of everyone out there, but O-lineman are as important as ANY position out there.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #156
Heath Shuler
maybe not

Section: 521
Rep Power: 34640 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
So he's a reach because media guys dont have him rated where guys who get paid to draft players picked him?
seems like a reach to me; a project. I hope I am wrong.

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #157
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Duane Brown was ranked:

66th best by SI.com
165th best by Scout.com

That's assuming all the teams ranked players exactly how these media services do. I can't imagine how much stuff goes on behind the scenes in every team's draft room. For all we know, Seattle or San Diego could have picked him if we passed. And how do we know he would be available to us in the 2nd if we wanted to trade up then? Or if he would be available to us in the 3rd?

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #158
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1664 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
My favorite clip was seeing him run stride for stride with the ballcarrier downfield and picking off defenders. That's exactly what we need out of our LT. Plus he's got the feet to handle the edge rushers that we've never had at LT. Methinks he compares favorably to a converted TE that happened to be a pro bowl LT last season in Jason Peters of the Buffalo Bills.
He looks like he fits in Alex Gibbs offensive line. I'm easy to please as a fan.

Go Texans!

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #159
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11948 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Duane Brown was ranked:

66th best by SI.com
165th best by Scout.com

Assuming those people's projections are correct - we could have had him in the third. Apparently the Texan's staff did not believe they were correct, and boldly decided to ignore them all.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #160
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
I am mystified that the Texan's front office refuses to consult this message board and take advantage of all the advice from so many draft experts.
lol exactly
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read